Am I the Only One Sick of Vampires?

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
OK, we've had traditional vampires, vampires in modern times, vampires in the future, interviews with vampires, vampire biographys, good vampires, half-blood vampires, vampire wars, vampire social commities, children vampires, comedy vampires... you get the idea.

I'm sick of vampire stories and I just cannot understand the obsession people have with them. And they never seem to go away. As soon as the hype over one vampire franchise dies down, we get another one pop up.

Why is it that people are so fascinated about a race that sucks blood, is only allowed to come out at night (that SERIOUSLY sucks), looks so pale and comes out with the most ridiculous lines in books, films and videogames?

Does anyone share my POV, or can anyone explain what I'm missing out here?

EDIT: OK sorry I put this in the wrong section of the forum (although vampire games annoy me as much as them in any other medium), can a mod put it in 'off topic'?

Markgraf

Apr 1, 2009
Look up World of Darkness if you're into pen-and-paper RPGs. Its portrayal of vampires is one of the best I've seen and might be able to reinvigorate your interest in them. In fact, if it weren't for this, I would've stopped with the vampire stuff right after reading Dracula, which I believe to never have been topped by anything since its inception.

Simonccx

Apr 15, 2009
To be honest vampires ARE overrated, how the hell did they go from being an inexplicable fear of the humble folks to teen fashion/love icons.

Curse you modern fads!

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
Markgraf said:
Look up World of Darkness if you're into pen-and-paper RPGs. Its portrayal of vampires is one of the best I've seen and might be able to reinvigorate your interest in them. In fact, if it weren't for this, I would've stopped with the vampire stuff right after reading Dracula, which I believe to never have been topped by anything since its inception.
I would agree but if you say that to a twilight fan they may try to kill you

OT: ya i think its been played out way to much, only a few movies/books that come out about them are ever any good, and they all show the blood suckers as the evil soulless things they are, like lost boys

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Terramax said:
99% of vampires in fiction represent pure creative bankruptcy.

They're horribly overdone, and very few people bother do to anything interesting with them. They're just stock monsters/characters to throw in when your story has nothing of it's own to interest the reader. World of Darkness is pretty cool for actually giving them some depth, but I can't think of many other good examples of vampires done right.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
BloodSquirrel said:
Terramax said:
99% of vampires in fiction represent pure creative bankruptcy.

They're horribly overdone, and very few people bother do to anything interesting with them. They're just stock monsters/characters to throw in when your story has nothing of it's own to interest the reader. World of Darkness is pretty cool for actually giving them some depth, but I can't think of many other good examples of vampires done right.
TrueBlood is doing a decent job so far.

Dorian Cornelius Jasper

Space Robot From Outer Space
Apr 8, 2008
Cody211282 said:
Markgraf said:

OT: ya i think its been played out way to much, only a few movies/books that come out about them are ever any good, and they all show the blood suckers as the evil soulless things they are, like lost boys
Well I liked old World of Darkness more than the new, but that's just me. And Twilight vampires are so Mormon it's creepy. Don't believe me?

http://stoney321.livejournal.com/317176.html Ask an ex-Mormon. (Anyone tired of Twilight will love LDS Sparkledammerung.)

Terramax said:
Quoted you so you'd get the link to the url, too. Since it's pretty clear what franchise would inspire so much *blah* towards those lovably bloodsucking nancy-folks.

But as an answer to your original question: No, you're not. Ever since Anne Rice vampires have been seen as "totally glamorous." Ironic considering Miz Rice has found religion (again) and disavowed all of her Lestat books in favor of Jesus.

Ajaysallthat

Jul 17, 2009
I believe that vampires are overplayed, but honestly who can get tired of vampires...they drink blood and live in sarcophagi...or at least they should

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
Dorian Cornelius Jasper said:
Cody211282 said:
Markgraf said:

Well I liked old World of Darkness more than the new, but that's just me. And Twilight vampires are so Mormon it's creepy. Don't believe me?

http://stoney321.livejournal.com/317176.html Ask an ex-Mormon. (Anyone tired of Twilight will love LDS Sparkledammerung.)

Terramax said:
Quoted you so you'd get the link to the url, too. Since it's pretty clear what franchise would inspire so much *blah* towards those lovably bloodsucking nancy-folks.

But as an answer to your original question: No, you're not. Ever since Anne Rice vampires have been seen as "totally glamorous." Ironic considering Miz Rice has found religion (again) and disavowed all of her Lestat books in favor of Jesus.
Oh i know the Twilite vampire rejects are mormons, I live in utah, its loved here about twice as much as other places

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
I wouldn't really care. I played as a Vampire on Oblivion for a while. Man that was a pain in the ass

[Cold-Shoulder]

Jun 5, 2009
I wasn't really bothered with vampires. I only like the original story of Dracula and the movie Nosveratu. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX44cba35Xg&feature=related

Azraellod

Dec 23, 2008
i'm not particularly sick of them, although...

i do know i see far more references to vampires then i used to, although mostly in threads like this one.

i do rather like the stereotypical view of a vampire. the type that lives in a castle, terrorises a local village and drains it's occupants of their blood, sleeps in a coffin, and spends it's spare time playing a massive pipe organ.

Nossy

Jul 18, 2008
Pirates > Vampires

End of thread.

But on a more serious note, I hate that Twilight thing. I don't know what it is, it just needs to stop.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
I dunno I like the Dresden Files view of vampires, form one that feed off doing you from what that look like corpses that eat you flesh. But yeah, originality would be nice.

Stroker's original Dracula was very boring though.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The only vampires I like are the OLD monsters before they became cool and tortured souls. NOSFERATU, that was an asome vampire. Just a monster that goes out in to the night to kill.

elricik

Nov 1, 2008
*cough* Twilight *cough*
But seriously, watch Hellsing, if Alucard doesn't get you intrested in Vampires I don't know what will.

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
Nossy said:
Pirates > Vampires

End of thread.

But on a more serious note, I hate that Twilight thing. I don't know what it is, it just needs to stop.
How about Vampire Pirates?