Am I the Only One Sick of Vampires?

Kikosemmek

Nov 14, 2007
You know how a joke loses its appeal the more popular it gets?

I used to love vampires, because in D&D, they take you down two or three levels with every touch, which is a ***** to recover from. That alone made them extremely frightening and respected in my mind. In my book, the nastier and more dangerous you are, the cooler of a monster you get.

All that Twilight, Underworld and True Blood vampire thing is bullshit. They took a great monster and made it an effeminate emo douche. Yeah, one of the key aspects of vampires is that they retain human consciousness (and sometimes human conscience/humane conduct) but that's no reason to make them into a race of troubled adolescents who will inevitably fall in love with a human. Whatever happened to the gloriously evil and sophisticated vampire who had a fucking castle for a house and routinely mingled with aristocracy? Whatever happened to the maniacal feeder who just enjoyed their afterlife? What happened to the member of a commune that did not suffer from the human problems of infighting and treason, let along morality?

The same thing that happened to phrase "the cake is a lie." Vampires became popular.

UncleAsriel

Pleasantly Lurking
Feb 13, 2008
Kikosemmek said:
You know how a joke loses its appeal the more popular it gets?

I used to love vampires, because in D&D, they take you down two or three levels with every touch, which is a ***** to recover from. That alone made them extremely frightening and respected in my mind. In my book, the nastier and more dangerous you are, the cooler of a monster you get.

All that Twilight, Underworld and True Blood vampire thing is bullshit. They took a great monster and made it an effeminate emo douche. Yeah, one of the key aspects of vampires is that they retain human consciousness (and sometimes human conscience/humane conduct) but that's no reason to make them into a race of troubled adolescents who will inevitably fall in love with a human. Whatever happened to the gloriously evil and sophisticated vampire who had a fucking castle for a house and routinely mingled with aristocracy? Whatever happened to the maniacal feeder who just enjoyed their afterlife? What happened to the member of a commune that did not suffer from the human problems of infighting and treason, let along morality?

The same thing that happened to phrase "the cake is a lie." Vampires became popular.
Here, here. "It's popular, now it sucks. I hate to give credence to this, but it's sadly true. The more folks get drawn to a particular franchise or idea, the more likely its subtleties and uniqueness are to be watered down.

[snark]This is why many major political and religious movements generally suck [/snark] :p

Of course, the precludes the fact that sometimes things become massively popular because they are very good. The original Matrix movies, Gears of War II [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/525-Gears-of-War-2] and The Dark Knight movies, for instance. I guess there's no accounting for taste, really.

I'll have to side with Yahtzee here and say that this is why critics are necessary for a healthy and successful culture - they serve as agents of natural selection, praising or damning a work in an effort to overall ensure quality of work within a given genre or medium is upheld. There will always be a Twilight, a Naruto, an Independence Day, a Halo. If you don't like it, don't watch/read/play it. Be straightforward in your views. Be civil in explaining why this is so. Suggest other titles to recommend to folks in place of sub-par titles. If they're mature enough to appreciate your recommendations or at least respect your views, hooray, you've found a civil person. If they revert to an infantile fanboyish state, then simply ignore the ranting and find better pastures for discussion.

Simple, eh?

bruMackBBQ_89

Mar 1, 2009
fans who really digged the vampire legacy of books, old skool movies, and new movies like underworld, van helsen, etc. srry but they really tore him from limb to limb and not killed but murdered his whole thought of existance is wat i think truely happened...

myself em a Sasquach seeker on books and historical events

NoriYuki Sato

May 26, 2009
i have to agree that people are sick of vampires, i mean..look what society has done to us..evil, good, in love with high school girls NO!!! we are like that of the ninja, you shall never know who we are, or why we are..simply that we are, however some say we are not, but thats okay too..the less people know of us the better =D

and you shall never know that i am one either..mwahahahaha *runs away*

Aqualung

Mar 11, 2009
Hail Fire 998 said:
Captain_Maku said:
I liked vampires up until they inexplicably started to sparkle.

But werewolves are still awesome.
Werewolves will never stop being cool. If it does, consider it the apocalypse.
Hear, hear!

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
Because huuman beings are fascinated by the prospect of immortality and things that lurk in the shadows. And people shouldn't have to explain the things that they like, they just do. Get over it, or try and use your imagination a little more.

Pigletdude

Sep 13, 2008
Rednog said:
BloodSquirrel said:
Terramax said:
Does anyone share my POV, or can anyone explain what I'm missing out here?
99% of vampires in fiction represent pure creative bankruptcy.

They're horribly overdone, and very few people bother do to anything interesting with them. They're just stock monsters/characters to throw in when your story has nothing of it's own to interest the reader. World of Darkness is pretty cool for actually giving them some depth, but I can't think of many other good examples of vampires done right.
TrueBlood is doing a decent job so far.
Yeah I'm loving how they put Vampires into modern day to day life even though I swear this has been done before too. But once again, its the relationships and the characters that attract me in the series,not really the vampire thingy, even its utilised well in the story.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
"They're zombies, Francis."

I'm not that bothered about Vampires. I haven't read or seen Twilight so I had no idea they were in it. They're not especially awesome enemies, so thankfully Buffy the Vampire Slayer had her fight stuff other than just Vampires.

semiotic

Jul 13, 2009
"What dark and hidden parts of our psyche are aroused and captivated by the legends of the undead?" - Vampires, GODSMACK

I'm not sick of Vampires. I love Vampires!

What I AM sick of, however, is Twilight. It sickened me to sit in a movie theatre with a bunch of giggling pre-pubescent girls, making the seats wet. It also sickened me that I got somewhat of a female boner for the edward cullens character myself.

NOW it sickens me to go on the internet and have to read about it... EVERYWHERE. It's on the news, it's in the little internet advertissment banners on facebook, it's the subject of conversation between my annoying girl-friends (and some of my guy-friends), it's on my own MOTHER'S bedside table! It's like a Britney Spears song, you hate it but you must bow down to it because of it's omnipresence. It makes me feel like one of those poor, depressing souls who were the only people in THE WORLD who didn't read Harry Potter, except this tween fantasy novel is filled to the brim with oestrogen.

Not only that, but it makes Vampires seem like MORMONS. Vampires are supposed to be EVIL, Grungy, brooding and WANTING BLOOD!, not vegetarians with children who play baseball with their families on the weekend (especially not to MUSE SONGS 0.o...) I'm sure Vlad the Impaler didn't come home from putting peoples' heads on spikes to sit down and have scheduled "family time" with the kids. Dracula didn't have to get up early in the morning to go to fucking high school!

It is PERVERSE!

But I digress... I don't mean to use this topic to rag on twilight like the millions of Vampirefreaks.com gothtards out there but, come on, as if it ISN'T a contributing factor to why so many people are hating on Vampires now?

But if the question is: are you sick of vampires? then my answer is: No I am not...

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
I've seen and heard some very good vampire stuff and some very bad vampire stuff.
I'm fed up with the bad stuff.
I wouldn't mind a little more of the good stuff.

BrokenGoddess

Aug 7, 2009
lol I can't express how annoyed I am with vamps and werewolves. I mean cant we be a LITTLE creative it wouldnt kill us, ykno? We have like sprites, sirens, gods, goddesses, yeti, banshee, harpies, nymph, and chimera. And those are just off of the top of my head.

The Salty Vulcan

Jun 28, 2009
Terramax said:
OK, we've had traditional vampires, vampires in modern times, vampires in the future, interviews with vampires, vampire biographys, good vampires, half-blood vampires, vampire wars, vampire social commities, children vampires, comedy vampires... you get the idea.

I'm sick of vampire stories and I just cannot understand the obsession people have with them. And they never seem to go away. As soon as the hype over one vampire franchise dies down, we get another one pop up.

Why is it that people are so fascinated about a race that sucks blood, is only allowed to come out at night (that SERIOUSLY sucks), looks so pale and comes out with the most ridiculous lines in books, films and videogames?

EDIT: OK sorry I put this in the wrong section of the forum (although vampire games annoy me as much as them in any other medium), can a mod put it in 'off topic'?
Yes. Yes. I too am bored. Truth of the matter is we have seen it all but if I had my way the next big craze would be ghosts

soul_rune1984

Mar 7, 2008
I'm not a vamp fan either. Were folk and other dangerous creatures are far more interesting. How horrifying would it be to encounter an angry dryad and be slowly turned into a tree?

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Vampires are dull and overdone. It's just nt shocking anymore, and any good horror villain should have shock value I think.

Rolling Thunder

Dec 23, 2007
Hardly sick of them. Always a challenge to kill, I must say. Usually takes a good couple of bursts on incendiaries before they light up like a Christmas tree.

crypt-creature

May 12, 2009
Rednog said:
BloodSquirrel said:
Terramax said:
99% of vampires in fiction represent pure creative bankruptcy.

They're horribly overdone, and very few people bother do to anything interesting with them. They're just stock monsters/characters to throw in when your story has nothing of it's own to interest the reader. World of Darkness is pretty cool for actually giving them some depth, but I can't think of many other good examples of vampires done right.
TrueBlood is doing a decent job so far.
It helps that the books are actually decent and have much more of an adult theme to them. They might not be much of a guys read, but the series turns it into the brutal story that the books try to portray.

P. N. Elrod is also another person that I enjoy when it comes to the portrayal of her vampires.

Kikosemmek said:
All that Twilight, Underworld and True Blood vampire thing is bullshit. They took a great monster and made it an effeminate emo douche.
I'm hoping you've seen or read each of the things you have called out.
I can agree on Underworld and Twilight being more on the 'emo' side.
With TrueBlood you seem to be basing this off of one or maybe two vampires in the series, which falls short of what the vampires are really like in that series.

mannaroth

Aug 19, 2009
I love the Hellsing anime and Vampire the Masquerade was a good game. I hate Twilight because of what it has done to vampires reputaions and bloodthirsty monsters.