Am I the Only One Sick of Vampires?

BlackIronGuardian

Dec 26, 2008
KingPiccolOwned said:
BlackIronGuardian said:
Dracula was a truly terrible book. It was was so pityingly self-righteous I felt like setting a church on fire by the end of it just to balance out the pure white Christendom it espoused.

Oh, and Bram Stoker can only do two-dimensional God-fearing, white, English characters and can't write for bullocks.
Well that was kind of the culture back in victorian age England, so expecting anything else, especially from a book that popular at the time, is kind of foolish of you really.
Dickens? Tolstoy? Shakespeare didn't become popular until around then, Bronté? Verne?

Silly of me to expect greatness from a period that produced some of the greatest authors?

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Dorian Cornelius Jasper said:
NeutralDrow said:
Other way around. Werewolves undergo a transformation a few days a month turning them into monsters, vampires are bloodthirsty 'round the clock.
Oh yeah good point. Although to be honest women are were-vampires :D Ready to tear out your throat 24/7 any time day or night :D
Still, they tear your throat out to regain blood. The only vampire I can think of who loses blood once a month is Karin Maaka.

Toaster Hunter

Jun 10, 2009
Twilight is ruining vampires. Shows like TrueBlood can help stop this, but I'm afraid that it is only a matter of time before Twilight is accepted as vampire cannon.

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
No, i am more angry that vampires have gone from a powerful force ot be feared in every horror movie to a sex-symbol for pre-teen girls -_-

randomize4

Jul 21, 2009
I think vampires are now just used as a lame standard for gothic romance. I'm just sick of the lack of creativity people are using when creating new series, especially in the romance genere. It's overloaded with vampires.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
I actually don't mind the concept of vampires, as long as they're not thrown into something that makes them less badass. I mean, people who have actually read the original Dracula book would know that vampires technically aren't what they are in modern media. Everything changes with time, and vampires had taken upon the badass persona. With recent events such as the release of the Twilight movie, there has been nothing but streams of vampire-hate and book-bashing. Vampiric lore is brilliant if it is done correctly, I love vampires.

Nuff' said from me.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
I will never get tired of things that burst into flame when I push them into sunlight. I mean cuz lets face it anything else isnt a vampire.
Though to be honest I will never get into the entire fan-fic/vampire love thing. (Maby because I dont smell of old meat and wank to the thought of being abused by the undead. Or because I have a set.)
I think this diserves a certain crowbars width of seperation.
-Vampire horror story, hunting. = Good times.
-Vampire love, fan-fic. = Burn it with fire to be sure its dead.

LimeJester

Mar 16, 2009
Yes it's what happens with fads generally. Most people are crazy about it until they just get tired of it. Then 10 fads later the cycle starts over again at vampires and bell bottoms. All we need now is a game/book/movie based on Vampire Tennis and I think the set is complete.

Brnin8

Jul 17, 2009
Aethren said:
Nossy said:
Pirates > Vampires

End of thread.

But on a more serious note, I hate that Twilight thing. I don't know what it is, it just needs to stop.
How about Vampire Pirates?
I'm pretty sure I saw a book series called Vampirates actually haven't read it though.

TheLazyKnight

Jul 4, 2009
Stories about vampires are usually terrible. Stories about vampire hunters are at least bearable. I used to read the Vampire Hunter D series up to the point where he basically became a girl. The first three are great, the second being the best in the series, but it goes downhill after that.

BolognaBaloney

Mar 17, 2009
Toasterhunter86 said:
Twilight is ruining vampires. Shows like TrueBlood can help stop this, but I'm afraid that it is only a matter of time before Twilight is accepted as vampire cannon.
Don't say that, Twilight will be over-thrown. Follow me, TO VICTORY!

cmunki

Jul 21, 2009
If you really wanted a different take on the subject you could read I Am Legend, which is superior to the tenuously related movie. The Strain is also good and warped.

Rolf

Jul 13, 2009
I realy hate the new image Vampires have gotten over the last few years.
The reason i think the old Vampires were good is because there was a actual curse there. You become immortal but at a terrible cost. The new ones don't have any curse other then that they have to drink blood. The new ones can walk in as much sunshine they want and in some anime my sister was watching they could eat whatever they wanted. WTF. The new one is just fucking dumb and they destroy the very idea of Vampires.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
BlackIronGuardian said:
KingPiccolOwned said:
BlackIronGuardian said:
Dracula was a truly terrible book. It was was so pityingly self-righteous I felt like setting a church on fire by the end of it just to balance out the pure white Christendom it espoused.

Oh, and Bram Stoker can only do two-dimensional God-fearing, white, English characters and can't write for bullocks.
Well that was kind of the culture back in victorian age England, so expecting anything else, especially from a book that popular at the time, is kind of foolish of you really.
Dickens? Tolstoy? Shakespeare didn't become popular until around then, Bronté? Verne?

Silly of me to expect greatness from a period that produced some of the greatest authors?
I meant about the very Christian moral compass of the book. It is like if there was a book made by whoever the hell it is that makes Warhammer 40k that was meant to be the war journal of a space marine, and you expected it to not be filled with mindless ramblings of the absolute word and power of the Emporer and the righteousness of his cause.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
Terramax said:
Not really. I haven't come across people who've had obsessions with werewolves or zombies like they have Vampires. That's what draws them apart. People are fans and almost worship anything to do with the damn things.
Well alright we haven't quite gotten to that (yet) with other horror icons, but your point is that every possible angle for vampires has already been pitched, and mine is that that is damn near the case with everything else if you put it all together. The thing is that vampires are just one of the many icons of the horror genre, and asking people to stop putting them in things is like asking people to stop putting any of the others which I mentioned in things. They aren't going to because they are too well associated with the genre.

huntedannoyed

Apr 23, 2008
Yes! Screw vampires, bring back the "Creature Features!" I hope, with every fiber of my being, that the vampire parade will be over soon. Every horror entity gets their heyday for a few years. Then, it's on to the next. With a little luck "Twilight" will litteraly be the nail in the coffin for the rat - bastard blood - suckers!

Lizardpudding

Jun 30, 2009
I, too, an thuroughly sick of vampires. Whereas vampire stuff was fun and entertaining in the older days (classic universal horror movies, classic literature) it's just a sad, overplayed genre/monster.
I recently saw an episode of Trueblood for the first time, thought it was crap. Seems like it's aimed at 14 year old girls, but has mature content...who is their audience? Twilight is crap too, but that seems to go without saying.
I'll take my good old Lugosi movies and leave the genre at that!

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
Aethren said:
Nossy said:
Pirates > Vampires

End of thread.

But on a more serious note, I hate that Twilight thing. I don't know what it is, it just needs to stop.
How about Vampire Pirates?
http://www.vampirates.co.uk/

^_^

OT; Vampire's gotta be badass, none of this "ooh I smelled you and i loved it but I didn't want to hurt you so I ran away *sigh* It sucks being misunderstood... *sparkle sparkle*"