Am I the Only One Sick of Vampires?

Rathy

Aug 21, 2008
Ya know, maybe the best way to scare people off of Twilight might be a thorough explanation of necrophilia, as I'm sure most of said girls won't quite get that concept...

And the reactions would be priceless, pointing out said necrophilia anytime they say main Twilight character whose name escapes me is hot.

axia777

Oct 10, 2008
BolognaBaloney said:
Toasterhunter86 said:
Twilight is ruining vampires. Shows like TrueBlood can help stop this, but I'm afraid that it is only a matter of time before Twilight is accepted as vampire cannon.
Don't say that, Twilight will be over-thrown. Follow me, TO VICTORY!
Rally around True Blood I say!!! RALLY!!!!

(seriously this show is awesome!!!)

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
The classic vampire is fine. The ethos of the mythology is very compelling! It's the related vampire that gets the shaft. Emample; the romantisized vampire, and the sci-fi vampire ruins everything. Twilight may have been a neat book, but a horrid movie.

Rolling Thunder

Dec 23, 2007
I, personally, love vampires. They make for better hunting than any other big game the world around - damn hard to kill, even with incendiaries, and you often wind up in melee before even getting a shot off. And then you just have to knock the stupid bastard senseless, and then set him on fire.

Though I must say, I adjudge is to be entirely unsporting, this whole 'set fire to his castle while he sleeps' business. I mean, if you're some shambling peasant, then it's borderline acceptable, but any man calling himself a true hunter always breaks down the door and goes in guns blazing. And I don't hold with this stupid fashion of hiring mercenaries to deal with them. They get in the way, and it's unsporting anyhow. If you can't kill him by yourself, then you've no business hunting him.

Though I'll admit, I sometimes bring a servant along. Mainly to carry all the ammunition and spare guns, in case I get the fancy to use something a bit different.

Oh, sorry, I thought we were discussing how to hunt vampires. My mistake. Sorry.

Death or Glory, Sturm und Drang

Fondant

MelziGurl

Jan 16, 2009
Personally, I'm tired of Twihards going "oooh Edward *drools* and the Vampire enthusiasts spouting 'VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE!!' It's a continuous argument that is a drain on my life everytime I hear or see it. I seriously wish someone would stop spawning that argument, when that happens maybe it will stop in time for the New Moon arguments to start.

EDIT: Yes, this is making despise Vampires and I don't like that idea.

BlackIronGuardian

Dec 26, 2008
KingPiccolOwned said:
BlackIronGuardian said:
KingPiccolOwned said:
BlackIronGuardian said:
Dracula was a truly terrible book. It was was so pityingly self-righteous I felt like setting a church on fire by the end of it just to balance out the pure white Christendom it espoused.

Oh, and Bram Stoker can only do two-dimensional God-fearing, white, English characters and can't write for bullocks.
Well that was kind of the culture back in victorian age England, so expecting anything else, especially from a book that popular at the time, is kind of foolish of you really.
Dickens? Tolstoy? Shakespeare didn't become popular until around then, Bronté? Verne?

Silly of me to expect greatness from a period that produced some of the greatest authors?
I meant about the very Christian moral compass of the book. It is like if there was a book made by whoever the hell it is that makes Warhammer 40k that was meant to be the war journal of a space marine, and you expected it to not be filled with mindless ramblings of the absolute word and power of the Emporer and the righteousness of his cause.
Well yeah, but that would be a satire and actually a characterization of a space marine. Stoker wrote flawless, perfect Christian people. Barely characterizations. more like stereotypes.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Simonccx said:
To be honest vampires ARE overrated, how the hell did they go from being an inexplicable fear of the humble folks to teen fashion/love icons.

Curse you modern fads!
it just goes to show how western culture manages to prostitute even the most obscure traditions and superstitions.

Toasterhunter86 said:
Twilight is ruining vampires. Shows like TrueBlood can help stop this, but I'm afraid that it is only a matter of time before Twilight is accepted as vampire cannon.
it's ironic how the most minor of spelling mistakes can completely re-wire the context of a sentence. "Fire the vampire cannons! load the edward-buckshot!"

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
thebobmaster said:
Julianking93 said:
I'm sick of the bullshit twilight vampires that don't have to drink blood and can stay out in the sun.
Do you know what other vampire could stay out in the sun? Dracula.
He could? I've never read that before. Thanks! But he still had to drink blood to stay alive.

axia777

Oct 10, 2008
Julianking93 said:
thebobmaster said:
Julianking93 said:
I'm sick of the bullshit twilight vampires that don't have to drink blood and can stay out in the sun.
He could? I've never read that before. Thanks! But he still had to drink blood to stay alive.
He could go out in the day light but his powers were greatly reduced.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
axia777 said:
Julianking93 said:
thebobmaster said:
Julianking93 said:
He could go out in the day light but his powers were greatly reduced.
Oh, well, I did not know that. Thats good info.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
KingPiccolOwned said:
Well alright we haven't quite gotten to that (yet) with other horror icons, but your point is that every possible angle for vampires has already been pitched, and mine is that that is damn near the case with everything else if you put it all together. The thing is that vampires are just one of the many icons of the horror genre, and asking people to stop putting them in things is like asking people to stop putting any of the others which I mentioned in things. They aren't going to because they are too well associated with the genre.
Yeah, that's what I meant on the first paragraph, but then go on to ask as to why vampires in particular have such a cult following when werewolves etc haven't? Reason being I guess are vampires look more human and, as we've learnt more recently, are easier to sex up.

Vampires are just more 'in your face' than any other of the scary creatures. They've practically become celebrated.

Although, if we were to eliminate all other stories regarding strange beings for the omitting vampire of stories for good, it'd be a sacrific worth making IMO.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
I want to burn Stepanie Myer or what ever her name is. And the directors of that accursed movie. Vampires were bad enough without God Damn Twilight.

Lissa-QUON

Jun 22, 2009
BlackIronGuardian said:
Well yeah, but that would be a satire and actually a characterization of a space marine. Stoker wrote flawless, perfect Christian people. Barely characterizations. more like stereotypes.
I think that ws sort fo the point. When my college lit class discussed Dracula the prof taught it as if the underlying nature of the book was the contemporary Victorian English mindset proving its strength over a foreign force of superstition.

The characterization on both the sides of the good and the evil is rather flat. They are more stand ins and avatars of what was considered the best of the English and the rest of the civilized world was meant to be and what the worst of the centuries of old was thought to be.

Paulrus_Keaton

Apr 23, 2009
From my perspective vampires are to goths what furries are to nerds. I haven't fully thought out my reasoning yet, but I see both groups as branches of extremity of their related main groups.

That said, I can relate to the latter more than I can to you blokes*. Also, I'm just going to keep reading my Jhonen Vasquez comics and pretend that I'm trying to understand your silly Nosferatu culture. I'm sure it's nothing too provocative, I just don't see a reason to care.