Am I the Only One Sick of Vampires?

Ajaysallthat

Jul 17, 2009
Well I hope that you have the smarticles to actually read the book before you judge it, its the old adage in its purist form, Don't judge a book by its cover, I respectfully withdraw from this thread with my balls between my legs.
From the desk of Austin Jacobs
Ajaysallthat

BlackIronGuardian

Dec 26, 2008
Dracula was a truly terrible book. It was poorly told, poorly conceived, didn't make sense and was so pityingly self-righteous I felt like setting a church on fire by the end of it just to balance out the pure white Christendom it espoused.

But later media involving vampires (Seasame Street, the random vampire manga and anime which I have only seen one of fuck you, Francis Ford Coppola's adaptation and yes, even Twilight) has explored the possibilities behind the archetype that has evolved into a storytelling medium of it's own. It has depth, it has pathos and it has drama that lacks the simple distractions of beautiful people whining about their pitiful lives but has a more ageless focus on human brutality and worth over the years.

Sure it's way over-done, clichéd and falling into the trap of beautiful people whining about pitiful lives, so much so that I hate it as much as the next guy, but I can't say that it shouldn't be as it encapsulates the anti-hero that defies most stories nowadays and everydays, and especially the sheer amount of trashy bullocks that was it's original novel. Though that probably makes it even more interesting that it came from such lowly beginnings.

And though I do get the idea behind it, people shouldn't sparkle. It just looks odd.

Oh, and Bram Stoker can only do two-dimensional God-fearing, white, English characters and can't write for bullocks.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
I have one simple thing to say...

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets!

Jun 24, 2009
For more modern movies, the only place you can go for decent vampires is an older movie, Blade or Underworld. At least that's my opinion.

But, I agree, stuff like Twilight makes me sick.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
ive always found vampires as a whole to be kind of fruity. Dracula type vampires are kind of flowery, anime vampires are annoyingly broody and anime characters always have shitty cardboard cutout personalities anyways, and the new twilight vamprires are just flat out gay. I dont really get the sexual stigma that surrounds them. I can kind of understand the succubus because in mythology their whole deal was to be an extremely attractive woman who would seduce then eat men, but the male vampire was always a bit more of a monstrosity. Maybe emos just find something erotic about blood, I dunno.

The only vampire portrayals i like are the completely nonhuman snarling fangle toothed monster vampires and the classic mythological vampire. Even then there's nothing that puts them above zombie or wherewolf or any other generic monster for that matter. (the psychotic who cuts up people with a knife and drinks their blood gets an honorable mention for being slightly more interesting but that probably qualifies as a cannibal or maniac before a vampire.)

axia777

Oct 10, 2008
I used to be until I watched True Blood. Now Vampires rule again. Screw Twilight with a brick in it's sparkly ass!

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
Nossy said:
Pirates > Vampires
Not a truly powerful one, like say Alucard.

Terramax said:
Yes, but truthfully this could be said about any horror icon. Zombies, werewolves (sort of), aliens, frankenstien monster type things, serial killers, sentient machines, supernatural and interdimensional beings. Really, if you are going to complain that vampires are overdone then you might as well complain that the whole horror genre is overdone.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
BlackIronGuardian said:
Dracula was a truly terrible book. It was was so pityingly self-righteous I felt like setting a church on fire by the end of it just to balance out the pure white Christendom it espoused.

Oh, and Bram Stoker can only do two-dimensional God-fearing, white, English characters and can't write for bullocks.
Well that was kind of the culture back in victorian age England, so expecting anything else, especially from a book that popular at the time, is kind of foolish of you really.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
KingPiccolOwned said:
Yes, but truthfully this could be said about any horror icon. Zombies, werewolves (sort of), aliens, frankenstien monster type things, serial killers, sentient machines, supernatural and interdimensional beings. Really, if you are going to complain that vampires are overdone then you might as well complain that the whole horror genre is overdone.
Not really. I haven't come across people who've had obsessions with werewolves or zombies like they have Vampires. That's what draws them apart. People are fans and almost worship anything to do with the damn things.

Webb5432 said:
... but honestly, vampires are dead to me.
Am I the only one that couldn't take that like seriously?

Xanadeas

Oct 19, 2008
Vrex360 said:
I hate vampires, they stopped being cool a long time ago. I hate this new sexualisation of them as well as that just disturbs me. Nearly every movie in the horror section of my DVD store has vampires in it and frankly I've really had enough. Vampires are now out, let's find some other horror icon to idolise... suggestions anyone?

p.s The only Vampire I care about now is the one in Bram Stroker's novel. You know who he is.
How about werewolves? They are most definitely better than vampires.

OT: Personally I hate the whole vampire obsession... In my opinion werewolves should get some more screen time. So few movies focus on them. The most recent I can recall that included werewolves just played them off as mindless beasts. DX

Though I don't mind the World of Darkness vamps they still downplay Werewolves. :<

CakeDragon

Mar 10, 2009
I like The Count, from Sesame Street. Ah ah ah. (That was my lame impression of his laugh).

Basically, vampires with the black slick-backed hair, massive collars on their cloaks and can turn into bats, good.
Vampires that can go out in the sun and reproduce with mortals, bad.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
I love playing MediEvil 2: You get to play as a skeleton (awesome!) and kill vampires (even better!).
Yeah, I'm sick of vampires, too.

By the way, I nominate Deadites as the new fad-monster.
Invisible mutating demon-ghost-things? Groovy.

Nov 11, 2008
pimppeter2 said:
I wouldn't really care. I played as a Vampire on Oblivion for a while. Man that was a pain in the ass
Dude, I thought you got banned, What happened Man?

xxDarlenexx

Dec 24, 2008
I'm tired of self-loathing vampires who brood in a corner about how much their eternal life sucks. I liked Interview with the Vampire, but I can't think of an instant where the emo-pire has worked for me since.

metalmmaniac

Jun 30, 2009
yea, vampires turned into giant twats recently. I never really had a problem with vampire movies, in fact i like a lot of them.

I feel like zombies are a bit more overused (but they do make for some of the best bad horror movies I've ever seen)

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
Single thing that pisses me off more than anything else about Vampires - when people apply Werewolf Mythos or, even worse, REVENANT mythos to them.

For those who are already rushing to Wikipedia, let me save you some time;

What is a Revenant?
> A ghost / corpse returned to haunt the living.
> Wrongdoers in life - often vain, wicked or "unbelievers".
> They spread sickness and disease. This can be caused by their presence, or by some sort of curse - a story is mentioned where a Revenant calls out men's names, and three days later they die of sickness.
> Proper method of destroying a Revenant is exhumation, decapitation and removal of the heart. Setting fire to some / all of the removed parts may also take place (see every "Plan B" ever).
> Some stories state the body will not burn unless the heart is removed first - this seems to be a very important aspect of slaying the Revenant. Others state you should decapitate them with a spade, sprinkle holy water on the body, and re-bury it.
> Though they often appear at night, it seems they have no vulnerability to sunlight.
> They may drink blood. Note this comes from BEFORE the "Vampire" appeared in western Europe, so Revenants are not Vampires and vice-versa.

It honestly pisses me off that the moment someone sees "drinks blood" it's automatically a Vampire. Dear god, does that mean any monster that has FANGS is a Vampire? Last time I checked, Werewolves have fangs, various large animals have fangs, the aliens from Alien have fangs... oh, and most of these will drink blood as well (along with eating flesh, admittedly...).

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Rednog said:
BloodSquirrel said:
Terramax said:
Does anyone share my POV, or can anyone explain what I'm missing out here?
99% of vampires in fiction represent pure creative bankruptcy.

They're horribly overdone, and very few people bother do to anything interesting with them. They're just stock monsters/characters to throw in when your story has nothing of it's own to interest the reader. World of Darkness is pretty cool for actually giving them some depth, but I can't think of many other good examples of vampires done right.
TrueBlood is doing a decent job so far.
Oooooh, that's just been shown here in the UK, I really want to see that show. Anyway, I quite like vampires, fine it's something that's been done to death, but there are still plenty of vampire stuff out there that I really like or want to see. For example, I'd quite like to start reading the Anita Blake novels, and Dracula. And I really want to start watching Hellsing too. But as a whole, plenty of vampire stuff is overrated. That's simply the same for any genre. Hence it isn't vampires as a topic that's so bad. It's merely the fact that it is a specific genre, like so many others.

sirbryghtside said:
Original vampires were awesome - Blade, Dracula, the guys off Van Helsing, etc. but now they're rubbish, Twilight, Twilight, Twilight, etc.
None of those are original. Even Dracula. The only thing that can be considered an 'original' vampire is any vampire from mythology dating back to before the Middle Ages. Dracula was based on a combination of vampire myths from all sorts of cultures, from the Far East to the Native Americans, and only Dracula had all of the weaknesses and strengths that he has. Each myth had its own stories, and no myth combined all weaknesses into a single body. Dracula is by no means original and it gets on my nerves when people talk about Bram Stoker as if he created the idea and concept of a vampire. He didn't. He stole the idea just as much as others stole the idea of Dracula for their own fiction. That's the only true orginal fact about Dracula, that he was the first vampire stolen for fiction.