Am I the only one that didn't like Dragon Age?

yoda3d2

Feb 13, 2010
I found it a decent game.... that is until it wouldn't show my saves. I saved after HOURS of progress, went back to load next day and my save from when i was at the first city was my only save. Hated the game ever since.

Axeli

Jun 16, 2004
Mr. Blik said:
I could give a whole thing about what I thought was wrong and how it just didn't come together, but it would be very generic.

BOTTOM LINE: I didn't think it was a good game.
You now have two choices:
Agree-Say what you didn't like about it or why it didn't DO IT for you.
Disagree-Prove me wrong.

I've played through its(LONG) entirety albeit not every class or race.
Prove what wrong? The "for some reasons I leave vague I dislike this game" part?

Not a whole to work with here, you crazy snark-master.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Am I the only one who likes to start his day by putting my pants on my head, climbing up on the roof and jumping through the sunroof of my car so I can pretend I'm in an action movie? And yes, I buy a new sunroof every day. But it's fun. And YES, I have shards of glass in just about every square inch of my body, but who cares?

AM I THE ONLY ONE!??!

Klepa

Apr 17, 2009
Jasonater said:
Agree. The game is blatant plagiarism of Warcraft, for starters.
Well this should be good... care to elaborate a bit on that?

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Mr. Blik said:
BOTTOM LINE: I didn't think it was a good game.
Compared to what?

It's a WRPG, so either you look for another genre or you lower your standards for the 21rst century. That's the sad state of rpg land for the past decade.

RIP black isle, RIP troika, RIP origin.

crystalsnow

Aug 25, 2009
I also felt it was too generic. Not just the settings or the story or the characters, but the gameplay and graphics.

delet

Nov 2, 2008
Psychosocial said:
Aby_Z said:
Why the hell should I prove you wrong?
Because this is a forum, a place for discussion. Something that people seem to have forgotten about quite some time ago on these site, and decided that it's just an IRC or something now. Because that's what comments like yours do. They degenerate this place into a little chat, with no depth.

"I like this."
"Ok, I don't."
"I see, well, we can't all like the same things."
"That's so true."
"Bye."

That's how all threads go today, unless they are Fallout related. Then it's a warzone, a war I gladly contribute to, lol.
As it's already been mentioned on this very thread, the OP didn't even give any reason as to why he hated it. He just said "I hate this game, prove to me why I am wrong." He didn't give any reason as to why he hates it and so we have no reason as to why he should like it.

The thing is, it is opinion and it's pretty damn hard to sway that and not worth the effort. When it comes to video games, you either like a genre or you don't. I hate sports games but you don't see me going around asking people to tell me why I shouldn't hate them. No, I accept that I don't like them and I avoid sports games.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Once being a world-ending mage got boring it got kinda mehish. Not really bad, not really good. Honestly, a little sleep deprivation and i wouldn't know whether i was playing dragon age or neverwinter nights, i'm so tired of bioware-ized rpgs now :/

Mr_Universal

Jun 29, 2009
Well, at first I thought it was awesome, but when I had had sex with every woman in the first whorehouse...in my mind..I had already beaten the game at this point..so I stooped playing. but i´m also not that into games that requires you to (well your screwd if you don't anyway)pause the game to give orders on what the NPCs to do...the action kinda fades when you can plan every move and escape a situation that would be impossible to go through without pausing, kills the gameplay (for me)

UPRC

Mar 5, 2010
Mr. Blik said:
Disagree-Prove me wrong.
Dragon Age is awesome. Unfortunately I don't feel the need to squabble over your video game-related opinions, so I have to say no thanks to your offer.

delet

Nov 2, 2008
Psychosocial said:
Aby_Z said:
Yeah, I'm aware of the fact that the OP didn't make a very good OP. But hey, why not post one of those reviews the lot of you are so proud of posting in the user reviews section? I am not saying that everyone has made a review, just that many have, and I'm more than certain that at least someone in this topic has made a review, and/or read/made a review of Dragon Age: Origins.

Well, I think comparing not liking a game to not liking a genre is a bit of a longshot. But it's a discussion, and a discussion is in my opinion, god I hate saying that, about trying to sway the other sides opinion in your favor. Yes, it may be somewhat tough to get someone to change their opinion, but remember, opinions change.
I've never made nor read a review of Dragon Age, sorry but that point doesn't apply to me.

Of course opinions change, but am I so pompous an individual to believe that everyone's opinion should be changed to fit my own? No, for I am tolerant of those with differing opinions. If you want to be challenged on your opinion, you must actually state that opinion, and it's the OP's fault for not doing that.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
limited,under developed on the rails...is it an ok game sure I can give it and even bioshock/fo3 that much it has good dailog...but like most new games I want to play and customize not watch a film....

evilartist

Nov 9, 2009
Mr. Blik said:
I could give a whole thing about what I thought was wrong and how it just didn't come together, but it would be very generic.
"Generic". I hear gamers throw that word around a lot these days. Sometimes, I wonder if they even know what it means. It seems like anyone these days describe a game as "generic" whenever they don't like it, regardless of whether or not it follows the same tired themes, has unimaginative gameplay, or a cliched story.

Admittedly, I've never played Dragon Age, so I can't speak for any lovers/haters of the game.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Klepa said:
NuclearPenguin said:
In what way did it rip off Warcraft?
Explain please.
I shall. I maybe exaggerated when I called it "blatant plagiarism" though. I was tired when I wrote it. But there are a LOT of main elements of Dragon Age that ripped off Warcraft shamelessly.

In DA, the 'Old Gods' are entities that are imprisoned underground. The Archdemons are Old Gods corrupted by Darkspawn. In Warcraft, there are also dudes called Old Gods who are imprisoned underground, who corrupt other beings to send them insane and make them destroy stuff.
Orzammar looks nearly exactly the same as Ironforge, the Dwarven city of Warcraft. And it sounds nearly exactly the same as Orgrimmar, the Orc city.
The Demons in DA come from a place called The Fade, an astral plane separate from the mortal world that is nearly impossible to enter physically etc etc etc. In Warcraft, the Burning Legion (Demons, for those who don't know) comes from the Twisting Nether, an astral plane separate from the mortal world which is nearly impossible to physically enter blah blah blah.
In Dragon Age, the Werewolf curse was manmade, and was created in retaliation to a human attack on their people. They live in a forest and are lead by a humanoid creature. In Warcraft, the Worgen curse was brought to Azeroth in an attempt to fight off the Scourge when they attacked. They live in several different forests and are lead by a human.

The were probably several others, but I haven't played Dragon Age or Warcraft/WoW in a very long time. But you get the idea. I'd also probably know more examples if I read some of the lore behind Dragon Age.

Mr. Blik

Apr 14, 2009
evilartist said:
Mr. Blik said:
"Generic". I hear gamers throw that word around a lot these days. Sometimes, I wonder if they even know what it means. It seems like anyone these days describe a game as "generic" whenever they don't like it, regardless of whether or not it follows the same tired themes, has unimaginative gameplay, or a cliched story.

Admittedly, I've never played Dragon Age, so I can't speak for any lovers/haters of the game.

I didn't mean the game was generic. I meant that MY arguments and fault findings were generic. Of course I know what it means. Thats why I didn't give a 3 and a half page essay on the things i found were irking. All my own arguments were GENERIC

Klepa

Apr 17, 2009
Jasonater said:
Klepa said:
NuclearPenguin said:
In what way did it rip off Warcraft?
Explain please.
I shall. I maybe exaggerated when I called it "blatant plagiarism" though. I was tired when I wrote it. But there are a LOT of main elements of Dragon Age that ripped off Warcraft shamelessly.

In DA, the 'Old Gods' are entities that are imprisoned underground. The Archdemons are Old Gods corrupted by Darkspawn. In Warcraft, there are also dudes called Old Gods who are imprisoned underground, who corrupt other beings to send them insane and make them destroy stuff.
Orzammar looks nearly exactly the same as Ironforge, the Dwarven city of Warcraft. And it sounds nearly exactly the same as Orgrimmar, the Orc city.
The Demons in DA come from a place called The Fade, an astral plane separate from the mortal world that is nearly impossible to enter physically etc etc etc. In Warcraft, the Burning Legion (Demons, for those who don't know) comes from the Twisting Nether, an astral plane separate from the mortal world which is nearly impossible to physically enter blah blah blah.
In Dragon Age, the Werewolf curse was manmade, and was created in retaliation to a human attack on their people. They live in a forest and are lead by a humanoid creature. In Warcraft, the Worgen curse was brought to Azeroth in an attempt to fight off the Scourge when they attacked. They live in several different forests and are lead by a human.

The were probably several others, but I haven't played Dragon Age or Warcraft/WoW in a very long time. But you get the idea. I'd also probably know more examples if I read some of the lore behind Dragon Age.
¨

Why I was skeptic, was because I consider these to be the main points:

no orcs, no trolls, no goblins, no gnomes, no steampunk, no night elves, no tauren, no draenei, no spaceships. There's no evidence of any kind of actual gods even existing, Old Gods are just dragons that were worshiped for no reason, The Maker doesn't influence the world in any way. The World is mostly populated by humans, with elves and dwarves being past their prime, a lot like in LoTR, and nothing like in WoW. The Fade is a metaphysical dreamworld, Twisting Nether is an actual place, where players spend a lot of time leveling from 60 to 70.

High-fantasy works are notorious for ripping-off previous works, so I do see your point, but I'd consider those points quite insignificant, and sort of "to be expected". By no means am I advocating that Dragon Age is the bastion of originality, but I don't think it's anywhere near the top offender when it comes to shamelessly plagiarizing previous works.