Am I the only one to find Sucker Punch amazingly distasteful? Spoilers possibly

Nicos Amblecrown

Feb 23, 2010
LastGreatBlasphemer said:
Because "happy endings for all" are lame!
Definitely agree to that, and that was a point I'd forgotten to make. She just made it even more unsatisfying.

grimsprice

Jun 28, 2009
electric discordian said:
I have a steady diet of extreme horror, violent films and some of the banned stuff from the seventies! Also some of the more questionable prison films of the seventies and yet I find Sucker Punch without any merit at all.

It's a comic style action film with a heavy dose of Paedophilia and child abuse. Not that any of this behaviour is in anyway shown to be wrong or indeed punished, as the only character who seeks to reclaim their humanity and free themselves from their shackles is punished to the fullest extent the plot will allow.

We are supposed to be drawn into a highly sexualised voyeuristic world where women are purely used as sex objects, even in the action scenes their own fantasies picture themselves in hot pants and bras!

The film despite being set in the fifties has a soundtrack straight out of the late nineties which jarringly breaks the reality and spoils the entire effect.

Okay it does have some blinding action but it's all too live action Anime for my taste!

This is a dreadful waste of Two Hours and is everything that is wrong with film making, I love all films and this was horrible. It made Transformers 2 seem like a Merchant Ivory film!

Urrgh!
You know, some women like their sexuality. And find great satisfaction and self worth in flaunting it. LIKE my girlfriend. She wanted to see it even more than i did. She connected with the girls in the film and came out of that movie feeling more badass about herself. So i guess its just a bad idea to say "THIS is what is wrong with film". Because thats your opinion. Not fact.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
D Moness said:
also a funny point the girls are at least 23 old (blondie and babydoll), 26,27,28 (rocket , Ami , sweatpea (in that order). Loved Rocket's character.

Keira knightly (a very liked actor) was 18 when she acted in the first pirates movie.
And she was 15 or 16 when she was int he film "The Hole" in which she flashes her tits. Controversy!

OP I haven't seen it, but it sounds like you are just pretty uptight about it all. If you find that distasteful, you are going to have a hell of a time, as Asian influence Vs lack of originality in Hollywood means that this sort of film is going to become more popular. Maybe you should just stick to Singing in the Rain?

Couch Radish

Mar 28, 2011
My uncle put his thoughts perfectly about critics and people who say this movie is bad and/or distasteful:

It's a movie that has hot chicks with swords killing giant robots with guns. The only way it could be better if they gave you a beer every 20 minutes.

I say those purists who make a big deal about things like this need to shut up and let me enjoy it.

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
I was going to see it with some friends on Saturday, but I couldn't make it, and met up with them afterwards. They said it was shit, not worth the money, but at least the girls were hot. *shrugs*

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Bet the Op never saw Leon (aka The professional). Where a 13 year old Nathalie Portman (one of her first roles) ask Jean Reno to be her lover. Also slightly tries to flaunt sexuality when she dresses up as madonna.

auwdioslave

Apr 16, 2010
thefunk686 said:
auwdioslave said:
Babydoll is the youngest of the girls. In the beginning of the movie though, they say she is 2.
I think you meant to say 20, but yea, the only implication of any pedophilia in this movie is the father in the beginning, and it's cast in an EXTREMELY negative light. Using it as a plot device does not make this into some kind of snuff film. (Ever seen American Beauty, Discordian? I'm guessing not because you seem to be a horror junky)

Before you go passing such harsh judgement on anything, I suggest you do pay a little bit more attention to what you're looking at and spend a little time formulating an intelligent argument.
Yeah, forgot the '0' (Insert facepalm)

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
electric discordian said:
Paedophilia comes into play as all the characters are supposed to be below the age of consent, the father step father is clearly interested in "a piece" which is why he tries to tear of his step daughters clothing. Then when she has too much fight goes after the younger sister!

The near rape in the kitchen of sweet pea which goes unavenged, the fact that as far as the film is concerned the step father gets all the money keeps the house and the heroine is lobotomised for trying to escape from her hellish confines. The fact that the central character is damaged so much that she needs to feel like a sex object to avoid the abuse of her surroundings.

It just left me wanting to take a shower after walking out of the cinema!

Okay I take your point about the soundtrack, the version of Love is the Drug over the closing credits is amazingly good! But it is a wee bit obvious and heavy handed and there is never ever an excuse for Bjork!
What?? All the characters are the age of consent, Baby Doll is 20! What's the age of consent where you live?

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Kenbo Slice said:
What?? All the characters are the age of consent, Baby Doll is 20! What's the age of consent where you live?
According to this list

There is only 1 country where 20 is the age of consent is Tunisia.
Honestly there are movies out there that balance the fine line more then Suckerpunch does(see "Leon" or "Hard Candy" (and probably "Lolita")).

As someone seen movies like Blood the last vampire(live action), the machine girl or eko eko azarak(yes all japanese movies). I am used to seeing girls dress i slightly weird outfits.

electric discordian

Apr 27, 2008
In short yes I have seen Hard Candy, Taxi Driver, American beauty, every version of Lolita and read the book! Also Leon(the Professional) and as I said any of the numerous "sexplotation" films of the seventies, I was on a bad film jag about four years ago.

The fact that this was sold as a Kick ass action chick flick, I guess rather took me by surprise when the pointless and ham fisted human tragedy was about nine tenths of the film. Each to their own I suppose.

The reason I still say Paedophilia is this, if they had been "adults" they would have got the will and gotten the house end of film. They were still considered minors by law!

So the actresses were over age, so were the ones in Saved by the bell and despite that one lost episode "the Bayside High sex orgy!" I am pretty sure were not sexualised!