Am i the only one who likes DA2?

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
I'm really enjoying it, I like that I'm 12 hours in and haven't done any major plot stuff I have nothing over my head saying "the world is gonna end zomg" And it's just side quests at my leisure. I am really enjoying developing my character relationships, and the combat as a rogue is ridiculously fast and furious.

Venereus

May 9, 2010
I was indecisive until I took the clothes off my female Hawke, and then made her run towards me. Seriously, give it a try.

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
I played a demo for DA2 and it does look like a great improvement on Origins. I especially like the fact that they did not use the stupid Paragon, Renegade mini-game thing they did in Mass Effect 1-2. Instead, having individual like-dislike counters for each character.

nomzy

Jan 29, 2010
My only gripe with the game is the copy-pasted dungeons.
I'd say it's on par with Origins tbh.
For me, the game was actually longer than origins assuming yo do 90% + of the side quests.
Loved the warden references, I really do hope we get to play him/her again, although I think bioware said the wardens story is done and dusted.

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
This is the first time I have ever entered one of these "Am I the only one" threads with bile and rage not being the first thing on my mind.

Back on track. No, like many of the previous posters, I also really enjoyed Dragon Age 2.

Now stop with the rasping "Am I the only one?". The answer will always be: "No! You're never the only one on the internet! Stop this!"

@Venereus - Ehm, well, uhm.....playthrough nr. 2, hooooo!

llamastorm.games

Apr 10, 2008
Why does everyone hate the dialogue wheel so much? To me it just looks like another way of setting out the exact same thing, except one is a list and the other a wheel.

1. Im such a nice guy
2. Im a funny guy
3. Im a colossal twat.
4. Investigate

Or the exact same thing in a circle

Was everyone abused by dialogue wheels as a kid?

MorphingDragon

Apr 17, 2009
DA2 = Epic Goodness.

Thank god they fixed they icons and graphics, DA:O UI theme looked really tacky and looked speprated. The character profile pictures were 95era 3D looking. It now looks like an experienced graphics designer did it. (BOOSH)

Pure scorn for the wheel system on the PC though. Works for consoles, not a mouse.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
I'm liking it so far. But that boss you have to fight in the deep roads? Utter bullshit. The inventory has been dumbed down but the skill tress are works of genius.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
Elamdri said:
Skizle said:
Elamdri said:
It's a fine game, I'm enjoying it. Frankly gamers are typically unhappy unless they have something to moan and whine about, and most of them are too privileged to have ever played a truly bad game.
Thank you for summing up all hardcore PC gamers and yes, they really have no clue what a good and a bad game is. They just give a bad rap for other PC gamers, such as myself, that are just looking for a good time and could care less if a sequel has had something taken away.
/rant

OT: haven't played it yet, but the one thing I have yet to hear about is the story. No one has said if its good or bad or even mediocre.
Put it this way, If I had the power, I would make it a law that you have to play Superman 64 before you are allowed to weigh in on how good or bad a game is.
I would make them at least get past the dam.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I think the only people seriously complaining are those who have a massively inflated opinion of DA:O, or who never liked the series at all.

DA:O was a great game, don't get me wrong. But it isn't the perfect opus shat down from heaven that some people seem to think it is. The skill system is clumsy and unwieldy, with lots of superficial choices hiding the fact that deep down there are fundamental 'best builds'. The story of DA:O is great, but could have been written using the standard high fantasy story toolkit (TM) and while the characters are strong by video game standards several of them adhere to rigid archetypes which aren't entirely convincing.

DA2 isn't the perfect game. I have my own gripes about it, generally little aesthetic things like the weapon animations not having much weight and the fact that everyone seems to be suffering from a bizarre outbreak of leprosy which makes them explode all the time, but those are generally outweighed by positives.

Overall, the game feels very daring, and perfect or no I think it will be regarded as a milestone in RPG history in a way its relatively safe predecessor will not. It's the first AAA RPG in which I've really felt like I'm playing through someone's life, not taking them through a particular quest or adventure with a predetermined conclusion that is obvious from the beginning.

Interestingly, one of the gripes I originally had is that Varric in particular comes across as too smooth and competent.. and then I remembered who the narrator was and that suddenly stopped being unconvincing and became incredibly cool. The whole idea that you're actually playing from a perspective other than that of the protagonist and that this might be influencing the narrative has not been done very often. At the core, RPGs are interactive stories, and I like the idea of more of them experimenting with perspective like that.

dj Facchiano

Feb 3, 2010
llamastorm.games said:
Why does everyone hate the dialogue wheel so much? To me it just looks like another way of setting out the exact same thing, except one is a list and the other a wheel.

1. Im such a nice guy
2. Im a funny guy
3. Im a colossal twat.
4. Investigate

Or the exact same thing in a circle

Was everyone abused by dialogue wheels as a kid?
This man is my hero

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
12 hours in and loving it. The talent trees aren't nearly as wittled down as people have said. I feel like I have more options on how to build a character, actually (but I'll research that once I've finished).

The parts I don't like:
-The handling of companions armor.

-Fenris' voice. He sounds like a deep-voiced parrot.

-Lack of a compelling narrative early on. The side quests are pretty good though. Actually, they are better than the side quests of Origins by quite a bit overall.

-Enemies who come from nowhere. Seriously, this sucks. I have no clue how to pace myself in battle because there may or may not be another wave coming. Worst change in the game.

-Recycled locations. They couldn't have at least mirrored some rooms?

-Health potion cooldowns.

Those aside, I am loving the game. I can't say I like it better than Origins, at least not yet. The narrative hasn't picked up, as I still haven't gone to the Deep Roads yet (I've done a ton of side quests).

Slick Samurai

Jul 3, 2009
Graphics are a stride forward from the first, combat feels a lot smoother and more energetic, music is slightly better, but nothing noticable, voice acting is on par, if not better.

Story feels a little cramped for my taste, especially after coming off of the much more epic DA:O story. I feel like the choices you made in DA:O should have had way more of an impact than it did (the only choice that really matters is who you put on the throne). Companion interaction was a bit lackluster, as just like in ME2 you can only talk to them in between missions, which is a big letdown seeing as how the characters are very interesting.

It took me 33 hours with all sidequests complete to beat it on normal, clocking longer than DA:O's 25 hours.

Overall, I'd give it an 8.5/10, good game, worth the money.

Slick Samurai has given his review, you can stop sending all the messages now.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Ilikemilkshake said:
Obviously the answer is no, of course there are others... but ive yet to actually see anyone say anything positive about it.
I loved DA:O, i played through it about 8 times and have done every quest. And i have to say i really like the gameplay changes in 2, the mass effect style voiced dialogue is great (although i couldnt go as a male hawke because i hate the voice acting for him)
The graphics are awesome. (especially compared with origins)
The combat is more fast paced, there's more animations which make it feel less like runescape and the skills web is a much better system, i really dont get how people are saying its dumbed down, its achieved what mass effect 2 could and streamlined without actually removing any of the rpg stuff.
The inventory management is much better aswell, much less hoarding, also making crafting easier.
There's probably stuff i've forgotten but basically i feel bioware have gotten the gameplay spot on, i've heard people complain its short but im 19 hours in and im barely half way through act 2 so they probably havent been doing the side quests.

My only complaints with DA2 is more aesthetic stuff, like how they've changed stuff that was already established in origins, like isabella is unrecognisable to how she was in origins, the qunari now have horns, the dalish are now all irish/welsh and some others as well but anyway text wall over..
Its a simple premise really, people who hate things on the internet will go to every place they know and scream why it sucks to as many people as possible, creating the illusion of suckage. Just ignore shit like that, despite what they want the game will sell, it will be successful, etc

OT: Hell, I thought the crew was better then DAO (Except for alistair and leliana, they are awesome, shoulda traded them for fenris and isabela) and while im not the biggest fan of the combat change it does play nice and look better. My only gripe is the respawning and the cliffhanger

icame

Aug 4, 2010
No your not. I think its better then Dragon age Origins. By far infact. I could spend a good 5 minutes listing the flaws of that game, despite me considering it a excellent game (Say, 8.5/10?), most of which DA2 fixes.

The biggest improvement is the combat. It is now actually interesting.