Am i the only one who likes DA2?

VincentX3

New member
Jun 30, 2009
1,299
0
0
Irridium said:
VincentX3 said:
ZombieGenesis said:
Christ sake, why is it every time I refresh these forums there's ANOTHER thread about DAII?
It's not even that important a game.

Did just nothing else come out this last few weeks?
This!
Really, I cant seem to come to the Escapist without their being a DAII thread.
Jeez it's annoying already

Now...
If it were Minecraft on the other hand...
Well then you must have missed Minecraft being in the news almost all the time in the past few months.

OT: I want to like it, but the damn thing keeps crashing on me. Which sucks, because my specs easily surpass the minimum stuff, and I'm playing on DX9 on medium. Same as the demo and the demo never crashed.

So yeah, until this little issue gets fixed, I can't really enjoy the game that much. Because crashing every hour is not fun.
Nah I haven't missed it, it's just there isn't a lot of Minecraft threads these days. I use to love seeing what people would make and stuff.

No crashes on my end with DX11 and all on very high with high res textures enabled.
You sure you got everything updated?
 

Shadesong

New member
Nov 15, 2010
42
0
0
While the game is shorter than Origins, that doesn't make it any worse by any stretch of the imagination. Most of Origins was going around the various factions and saying "Could you take your thumb out of your arse for five minutes and help me punch that dragon in the face?" Combat is far improved as far as I'm concerned, I actually feel like I'm doing something on the battlefield rather than sitting twenty yards away and screaming orders at the party. The party members actually feel as if they do something while they're not off galavanting in your wild adventures other than sit around, twiddling their thumbs and wondering when you'll come back to talk to them.

My only major gripes are the fact that everyone seems to have bought their caves from the same architect, with the buildings I can understand, but that just screamed, "Lazy design" at me. Coupled with the ending (Without spoiling anything, I'll just say I was a bit disappointed) makes for two complaints against the game for me. Two complaints, minor ones at that, hardly break the game for me, so I'm quite content with my purchase.

Now about this sheer and utter hatred that people seem to be spewing at the game. Lord almighty I have never seen a game receive so much fury before, you'd think that Bioware had gone around and personally knifed everyone's dog with the response some people gave it.

"Hey, I don't get to be an elf or a dwarf anymore, what gives? Why are you ruining my character? Why don't I get the choice of making my own avatar in the world of Thedas?!" Because that had such and impact on the plot of the first game, didn't it? In Origins all you could be was a Grey Warden, I fail to see any difference between that and only being able to play a human; and none of this "But now we're called Hawke!" BS, before you were called Cousland, Aeducan, Amell or the other two that escape me at present.

"What's up with this 'wheel' business! We don't like wheels, we like our lists, anything circular merely confuses and perplexes us!" Okay, I admit, that was a bit underhanded, but so far the only real complaints I've seen about the conversation wheel is that Mass Effect did it first (Heaven forbid taking a good idea and applying it elsewhere) or that the summary for each choice is misleading. Now, the latter argument I can't defend, I'll admit there were times when I wanted to say something and was surprised by what actually came out of my mouth; however the same problem arose in Origins- Or rather, not the same problem but a similar one: Tone. You can't read tone as well as you can hear it, it's the reason people frequently state that they're being sarcastic when typing over the interwebs, so there are no misunderstandings. The conversation wheel certainly isn't as much of a tool of the devil as people are claiming, it's more of a step to the side, rather than a step back or forward.

"My word, the main character has a voice! This is outrageous, it breaks my immersion" This is subjective, for some people it breaks immersion, for some; the fact that everyone seems to be able to read your mind without you saying anything breaks immersion. To each their own on that point.

"The talent trees are more streamlined and linear" I'm not joking, I've seen people claim this. How you get more linear than a straight line baffles me.

"It's more of a hack and slash now, not even an RPG, this is a disgrace" What? Honestly, what? You can turn the auto-attack back on for the PC (And I imagine consoles may get an update for it) and even without that, even with the combat having changed, how does that make it less of an RPG?

"The game plays nothing like how I imagined it, boo hoo" I don't understand people; first we complain that companies don't make demos anymore, then when Bioware release a demo everyone seems perplexed that the game is like that throughout. I can understand being upset at what is perceived as a wasted $60, but all of these people saying "I bought it, I have the right to ***** about it" there was a demo available, is it Bioware's fault that you didn't pay attention to it?

Wow that turned out a lot longer than I planned, so much for a quick paragraph response.
 
Apr 28, 2008
14,634
0
0
VincentX3 said:
No crashes on my end with DX11 and all on very high with high res textures enabled.
You sure you got everything updated?
Yep, upgraded everything. Twice. Even re-installed the game, but nothing. It gives me a display driver error at crashing though. But again that shouldn't happen since my card(Radeon 3850 512 MB) is the exact card the game recommends. Its fully updated and I'm playing on DX9.
 

VanityGirl

New member
Apr 29, 2009
3,472
0
0
ZombieGenesis said:
Christ sake, why is it every time I refresh these forums there's ANOTHER thread about DAII?
It's not even that important a game.

Did just nothing else come out this last few weeks?
Is there ever an important game? I doubt by us gaming we will solve world hunger or get a good president elected in the USA.
:p
 

SirAxel

New member
Aug 21, 2009
42
0
0
Dragon Age 2 is refreshing to say the least.Althought I find the combat to be far less tactical then it's predicesor ( that dosen't botter me so much since I find the game to be challenging on nightmare on the serious encounters ).One of the few things that makes me angry is this game is that you can't repeat a mission/quest/encounter if you haven't saved before it.
Overall this game is a 10/10 in my book.
 

Judgement101

New member
Mar 29, 2010
4,156
0
0
Ilikemilkshake said:
Judgement101 said:
Congrats, I now hate you. (For asking AM I THE ONLY ONE?)
Anyway, NO YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY DAMN ONE!
wow.. not only did you not read the first line where i state that i know im not the only one, you've managed to out-do the other 6 or so people who told me im not the only one by not contributing anything to this thread at all... bravo.

Zekksta said:
Can people stop saying *You are never the only one!*

That's relevant in many *am i da onli one* threads, but as he clearly stated in the first line of OP, he is aware he is not the only one.

Stop trying to be clever, because you're failing fucking miserably.
haha thank you, i feel like YOU are the only one who noticed that line
as for your other points you're probably right, its not the sequal people where expecting (thats the case for me but i've been pleasantly suprised) but the demo did come out ages ago so if people didnt like it they shouldnt have bought the game
Oh really? I didn't contribute, I awnsered your damn question, how is that not contributing.
 

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
8,365
0
0
So the people who are saying it's too short must be skipping a good bit of content (maybe not being aware that side quests will not be available if you don't do them before certain main plot quests). I just finished the Deep Roads section and am right at 20 hours. And MAN, I just fell in love with this game in the Deep Roads. I had my ass kicked down there in parts (playing on Hard) and had to really use all the members of my party to the tip top of their abilities.
 

Ilikemilkshake

New member
Jun 7, 2010
1,982
0
0
Judgement101 said:
Oh really? I didn't contribute, I awnsered your damn question, how is that not contributing.
1. you didnt answer any question, you answered a rhotorical thread title without actually reading the post
2. you didnt contribute anything of discusion value
3. you have been rather rude in both your posts
 

Judgement101

New member
Mar 29, 2010
4,156
0
0
Ilikemilkshake said:
Judgement101 said:
Oh really? I didn't contribute, I awnsered your damn question, how is that not contributing.
1. you didnt answer any question, you answered a rhotorical thread title without actually reading the post <- Yes, I did
2. you didnt contribute anything of discusion value <- A yes or no thread doesn't need more value
3. you have been rather rude in both your posts<- Because you were rude to me in the post, treat others the way you want to be treated.
Lets just end this now because we don't need a thread to become corrupted again.
 

Ilikemilkshake

New member
Jun 7, 2010
1,982
0
0
Judgement101 said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
Judgement101 said:
Oh really? I didn't contribute, I awnsered your damn question, how is that not contributing.
1. you didnt answer any question, you answered a rhotorical thread title without actually reading the post <- Yes, I did
2. you didnt contribute anything of discusion value <- A yes or no thread doesn't need more value
3. you have been rather rude in both your posts<- Because you were rude to me in the post, treat others the way you want to be treated.
Lets just end this now because we don't need a thread to become corrupted again.
You clearly didnt read the post because you answered a rhetorical question.
The thread wasnt yes or know, i was asking for either positive feedback on the game, or some actual reasons for the hate the game has generated.
And how was i rude to you? i responded to your post in which you said you hated me, by saying you must not have read my post because you answered a rhetoric question.

and i will leave it there now because this is getting way off topic
 

Veldaroth

New member
Jul 21, 2009
166
0
0
I thought the plot was boring. Sure, it's nice not having to save the world AGAIN, but the overwhelming sense of doom and the knowledge that neither side should really win but you'll have to side with someone eventually anyway sort of made me stop caring. There was nothing in the plot that really kept my attention. Also, I only liked two characters. I wanted to like a third but the ending of the game prevented that.

I'm sure that there are people who liked the sense of doom but for me I just didn't care enough. I kept waiting for the plot to get more interesting and suddenly I was in the final battle. The side quests were really the only interesting parts.
 

Judgement101

New member
Mar 29, 2010
4,156
0
0
Ilikemilkshake said:
Judgement101 said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
Judgement101 said:
Oh really? I didn't contribute, I awnsered your damn question, how is that not contributing.
1. you didnt answer any question, you answered a rhotorical thread title without actually reading the post <- Yes, I did
2. you didnt contribute anything of discusion value <- A yes or no thread doesn't need more value
3. you have been rather rude in both your posts<- Because you were rude to me in the post, treat others the way you want to be treated.
Lets just end this now because we don't need a thread to become corrupted again.
You clearly didnt read the post because you answered a rhetorical question.
The thread wasnt yes or know, i was asking for either positive feedback on the game, or some actual reasons for the hate the game has generated.
And how was i rude to you? i responded to your post in which you said you hated me, by saying you must not have read my post because you answered a rhetoric question.

and i will leave it there now because this is getting way off topic
Let me correct why I am angry and why everyone is saying No you are not the only one. You see there once was this troll who made about 10 "AM I THE ONLY ONE?!" posts in a day. From then on, even saying "Am I the only one" makes people not read the OP and makes the angry.
 

Duffeknol

New member
Aug 28, 2010
897
0
0
Just finished the game today with a sarcastic male rogue. Immediately started a new game for a bitchy female mage. I'm having even more fun now than my first playthrough. People complain too much. The best thing they could've done to this game was actually dumbing it down. Next to that the action is actually fun to look at for a change.

And @ all the naggers: ok, fine, you don't like the new animations and fewer spreadsheets, alright, fine. But the story is still there, the characters are still very nicely crafted and the moral dilemmas are as brutal as ever. If that's not enough to make you enjoy a Bioware game, when all the most important things are still intact, I pity you.
 

Ilikemilkshake

New member
Jun 7, 2010
1,982
0
0
Judgement101 said:
Let me correct why I am angry and why everyone is saying No you are not the only one. You see there once was this troll who made about 10 "AM I THE ONLY ONE?!" posts in a day. From then on, even saying "Am I the only one" makes people not read the OP and makes the angry.
i thought we were going to end this :(
you cant punish me for using the same phrase that a troll overused at some point in the past.
and so far you are the only person who didnt read the OP because like 3-4 other people who told me i wasnt the only one also gave some feedback on the game.
anyway i understand the point you're trying to make but you could have been less rude about it.

Veldaroth said:
I kept waiting for the plot to get more interesting and suddenly I was in the final battle. The side quests were really the only interesting parts.
i agree that the side quests where the most interesting part, but thats what i liked about it, for me the actual main story is more of a context for the side quests.. i much prefered it to the 'you are the chosen one who will save the world, and you'll do this by doing quests to gain a team of companions' story in every other bioware game
 

Ilikemilkshake

New member
Jun 7, 2010
1,982
0
0
Calibretto said:
Had enough of these arguments THIS IS WHY PEOPLE HATE DRAGON AGE2.
http://blog.brentknowles.com/2010/08/15/bioware-brent-year-10-fall-2008-summer-2009
The lead designer quit because of the mass effectasation of the dragon age franchise.
What more can be said.
i can understand why he would quit the lead designer job when he's not got his heart behind what he's doing but i still dont really think these changes have made a worse game, i still believe that most people who are saying its "the worst game ever" are just being stubborn

we're probably not going to agree on this but i will say that bioware could have easily made this a different IP and made a more 'hardcore/old school' rpg as the sequal
but for me all of these changes fixed the problems i had with DA:O.. some i didnt even realise existed
 

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
8,365
0
0
s69-5 said:
DustyDrB said:
So the people who are saying it's too short must be skipping a good bit of content (maybe not being aware that side quests will not be available if you don't do them before certain main plot quests). I just finished the Deep Roads section and am right at 20 hours. And MAN, I just fell in love with this game in the Deep Roads. I had my ass kicked down there in parts (playing on Hard) and had to really use all the members of my party to the tip top of their abilities.
Is it longer than DA:O? I hope so, cause that game was too short for being an RPG.
Somebody said in this thread that DA2 is for people who didn't like DA:O. After playing the demo, I agree. I plan on renting DA2 sometime.

Then again, I've just started Hyperdimension Neptunia, so it may be a while.

I may even change my avatar to this (maybe).
Well, I don't know how much I have left. I'm being very thorough, hitting every possible side quest I can. I've heard of people finishing the game in 20 hours and then others in 60. There are certain main story quests that jump the game forward a few years, making unfinished side quests become unavailable. I'm pretty positive that this is how many people are finishing the game so quickly.

I'd say a rental would be a safe bet for you. I've seen you mention your preferences around here and I'm not sure of Dragon Age 2 is different enough for you. Though the fighting is much quicker-paced and more involving. But it's still a BioWare game (which is great for me, and I think not so great for you).