Am I the only one who LOVES Alpha Protocol?

ShotgunSmoke

Apr 19, 2009
After I read the comments and reviews (particularly the Gamespot review) I lost all hope for AP. Now I'm in love with this game. I just can't stop playing it, it's amazing.
The writing is brilliant and hilarious (especially when Mike is flirting. Oh, the lulz.). And the choices. Oh god, the choices. When they said that your decisions will impact the story, they sure as hell weren't joking. Your attitude (agressive, etc) and they way you play the game has an effect on other people's opinions of you. They even comment if you choose casual attire instead of a combat outfit.
Game has bugs, sure, but I hope Obsidian will adress this with a patch. Gameplay is great. There are things that can and will annoy you but there are so many ways to play this game. Skill and weapon customization is outstanding.
I love how you actually have to use your head both in conversations and combat. You have limited time to make decisions which will impact the entire game, you have to think ahead and consider all pros and cons.
This game is like heroin for me. I don't know what Destructoid was smoking. I wonder if I and they played the same game.

9/10 and I'm not even finished.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I haven't gotten to play it yet, as it comes out on the 1st of June here. I've been waiting for it for a long time though and am getting it on release day.

mchoueiri

Jun 10, 2009
I dunno from what I was able to see it didn't look all that good and the whole choice is your weapon I think Mass effect 1 and 2 does that better but that is just my opinion.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Wait a minute, it's out?! Why did nobody wake me from under my rock to tell me this?!

I watched the Gametrailers review of it, and was a little taken back as to the overall score. Mainly how they criticized the gunplay.

I'm glad to see that the storytelling and writing are all pretty good - I can forgive a lot in a game if the story is good and the characters are well-written.

Thanks for the info! This has been reassuring in the notion that this rental will not be a waste of my time.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
ShotgunSmoke said:
(particularly the Gamespot review)
Well there's your problem right there. Gamespot reviews are about as unbiased as Michael Atkinson.

I've been looking at the game on the store shelf for some time now, wondering if I should buy it or wait for Prince of Persia.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
ShotgunSmoke said:
After I read the comments and reviews (particularly the Gamespot review) I lost all hope for AP.
I haven't looked into it yet, but still, never ever ever ever trust gamespot, most of their reviewers are just journalists who don't like games, they gave AvP (the new one) a 5.5 mostly because they couldn't figure out how to control the Alien, If they gave it this score for more legitimate reasons then simply being terrible at games I would overlook this, but this is just one example of many on how bad their review team is.

syndicated44

Apr 25, 2009
Oh my thats out? Honestly I have seen it everywhere but I have not had any want to look it up. Perhaps it might be worth some attention in the near future.

I don't take reviews seriously. I read em all to get an overview of the game but I refuse to read Gamespot reviews ever since the Kane and Lynch debacle. Sorry Gamespot but your only use to me now is essentially a big game library (granted they do categorize things very well).

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
I've read the Destructoid review. I generally agree with Jim Sterling.

Say what you will about him. At least someone has the balls to rate a game below a 7.

darkfire613

Jun 26, 2009
Pokedude1013 said:
The commmercial that comes on before ZP videos is just so awful
"That airliner was his first. Target." Makes me crack up every time.

OT: I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet, but I was really interested when it was first announced. I was really disappointed when all the mediocre reviews started coming in. I might give it a rental.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
I'll probably rent it, and see if I like it enough to buy it later. I lack $60 to shell out at the moment.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
I'm more than a little concerned with every source I consider trustworthy has rendered the same judgement on the game: that it isn't worth my time OR money. Especially since I pre-ordered it on Amazon already. One or two bad reviews I can take in stride but when it reaches the level I'm seeing now I have to expect that there is something more than "personal taste" at stake.

If it turns out that I do not care for the game then I'd say Obsidian has officially struck out as a development house. KOTOR II was fundamentally broken, NWN2 was little more than a bland retread of D&D tropes, and apparantly Alpha Protocol gained little with more than half a year extra development time. Given that a lack of development time was cited as the reason the first two games failed, if they can't make a game work even when given a monumential extension, I would be forced to assume they are quite simply incapable of making one work at all.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Probably... I haven't played it but I've heard that the story isn't as good as you suggest.

Vet2501

Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger
Nov 9, 2009
I'm really looking forward to getting this game. Gamespot is the only bad reveiw I've seen. Metacritic gives it 74, but only because the Gamespot review pulls it down, all the others gave it 79+.

Some bad reviews on Amazon, but I don't trust them, the 'reviewers' mostly complained about the graphics not being up to this generation's standard. Then again, I'm an advocate of 'good graphics does not a good game make' so that doesn't bother me.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
Played it with a friend for 5 hours or so.

It's not a bad game, it's just a very very disappointing one.

It has great ideas in terms of RPG-ifying Shooter Gameplay, excellent writing (like the OP said, although the story itself is pretty generic) and lots and lots of decisions that really matter.

...But it's also buggy, has a broken stealth system, horrible minigames and is very mediocre in terms of actual Gunplay.

There is a lot to like in Alpha Protocol, and it's ideas and writing make it very charming, but it is almost heartbreaking that the game itself just cannot keep up with it's ambition.

One can just hope there will be a sequel that can live up to the potential AP shows.