Am I the only person that couldn't care less about MW2 and who would be VERY upset if it was goty

Powerman88

Dec 24, 2008
suhlEap said:
i too agree that arkham asylum should be game of the year. but i don't really care enough to be upset if modern warfare gets it. it's just a silly title.
I will admit its not THAT big a deal, but to dismiss our beloved industries highest accolade as a silly title is tough to do. We have all had problems with accolades being given to games we don't feel that has deserved it, but MW2, like l4d2 which I'm psyched about, brings nothing new to the table.

Not to get too off topic but L4D2 seems like an AWESOME expansion pack disguised as a full retail release. I am in love with L4d because it is a FRESH, NEW TAKE on the online fps genre. I played the demo for l4d2, and had a ton of fun but the facts are thus:
New maps, new guns, new toys, new characters, same gameplay, same engine. Sounds like an expansion to me.

AC2 does look pretty awesome. I have high hopes for it.

I am 8ish hours into Dragon Age now. I am loving it, but I dunno about GOTY. Maybe I need to spend another 30 with it. I do love the fact that my $60 (I got it for 360 which was prolly dumb but whatever) is going towards more than 8 hours of gameplay and that is certainly something like DAO has going for it.

Call me crazy but I am in love with Tropico 3 right now (pc version of course). What a GREAT strategy game, and that you don't see much anymore. Its got some balance issues but the game looks GORGEOUS and has replay value up the wazu. It has no chance of GOTY, but I think it deserves to be recognized.

There are too many great, original, fresh games out there this year (heck the last couple months) to choose another US kills terrorists online shooter that is pretty much an updated version of counterstrike (I know that is really dumbing down what it is, and that comment is not intended to incite flame. It is what it is).

Powerman88

Dec 24, 2008
Cajt said:
I couldn't care less if it got GotY or not.

We all know it is going to get GotY though. Admit it.
Yea, but it doesn't make me happy ;) I suppose I always say don't get upset about things you can't control but as long as games like MW2 get all the praise then thats what will get the biggest budgets and the biggest marketing pushes.

I suppose that isn't QUITE fair cause look at the marketing push AC2 is getting. I know its a sequel, but its still a VERY young IP.

Blogg10

Jul 2, 2009
couldn't give a toss either way to be honest. I don't need a GotY sticker on a game for me to be compelled to buy it. When considering a new game the only things I look at are serious flaws- for instance, MW2's lack of a console, dedicated server, or anything good for internet play.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I don't care about MW2 or about anyone's GOTY. GOTY is an award that is given out like candy by every gaming website, magazine, show, and toilet paper with writing. Why should I care what a group of other poeple voted for, don't I decide what games was the best this year? Unless you need to have someone say how good a game you like is so you can feel more secure that your opinion isn't the crap it actually is, I don't know why people are so interested in these awards.

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
I couldn't give two shits about the entire CoD series and I fail to see what it is that everyone likes about them.

As for GOTY, if MW 2 wins GOTY that says more about the award givers than the game itself :).

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Of course CoD will win because CoD is CoD. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Powerman88 said:
Am I the only person that couldn't care less about MW2 and who would be VERY upset if it was goty
Serenegoose has kindaly voiced my opinion on the title.

Serenegoose said:
Interesting contradiction. Either, you couldn't care less about MW2, or you would be upset if it was GOTY. Upset is quite an extreme reaction to a videogame winning an award, and means you care enough to be upset, so you could care quite a lot less.
I actually couldnt care less about it either, only reason I came on this topic was to say what my contemperary above has said, but if a console shooter was to win GOTY, id say it would have to be Killzone 2 which is probably a runner for my favourite 1st person shooter.
Other games i would consider but havnt played are Assasins Creed 2, Dragon Age, or Uncharted 2. Hopefully all of which will be under the christmas tree this year.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Too early to pick a Goty yet, but right now my vote would go to Uncharted 2. Thought Arkham Asylum wasn't that great, the melee combat was boring, the dialogue absolutely terrible, the story was just an excuse to have 5 billion villains parading on screen, and it was full of secrets and crap like that that I personally can never be arsed with in games. The only fun part was the rooms with the armed guards that you neutralized by jumping down from gargoyles and stuff, that was quite stylish, but the rest of the game was meh.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
I'd be pissed, but just about as pissed as I was when GTAIV got basically every award possible last year.

And, no you're not the only one. I don't really give a shit about MW2. I liked the first one, but I'm kinda over 1st person shooters, at least for a while.

So far, Batman AA gets my GOTY, but I haven't played Demon Souls or Borderlands yet so I'll just have to wait and see...

BurroDiablo

Mar 5, 2009
I couldn't give a shit about the majority or GoTY titles... or even GoTY itself. Although, it depends which GoTY award giver you're talking about... the only one I ever agreed with was IGN giving it to Fallout 3 last year.

suhlEap

Apr 14, 2009
Powerman88 said:
suhlEap said:
i too agree that arkham asylum should be game of the year. but i don't really care enough to be upset if modern warfare gets it. it's just a silly title.
I will admit its not THAT big a deal, but to dismiss our beloved industries highest accolade as a silly title is tough to do. We have all had problems with accolades being given to games we don't feel that has deserved it, but MW2, like l4d2 which I'm psyched about, brings nothing new to the table.
i didn't find it tough. i don't see a game being voted game of the year as that big a deal for anyone apart from the people that made it. i understand why they'd want to get it, but to me it's just a title, it changes nothing in the grand scheme of things. if you love a game so much, then it can be your game of the year. the title "game of the year" comes down to opinion not fact, which is why i think it's pretty irrelevant. all i was saying is that arkham asylum is the best game of the year in my opinion. but if it doesn't get awarded that it makes no difference to me.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Well, MW2 is a great game. It would deserve it, despite all the PC moaners (who are moaning rightfully) and overpricing, it's still a superb game.

I'd vote for it. Mind you, if a game is GotY or not doesn't really matter to me.

irishdelinquent

Jan 29, 2008
Oh noes! Modern Warfare 2 was given a non-existant award by group of critics....whoopty doo. Sorry for sarcasm, but really it's not that big an issue.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
I'd love to see a GOTY re-release of a game get a GOTY award just for the new additions. That's be weird.

Kawatoo

Feb 13, 2009
Wasder said:
Well, MW2 is a great game. It would deserve it, despite all the PC moaners (who are moaning rightfully) and overpricing, it's still a superb game.

I'd vote for it. Mind you, if a game is GotY or not doesn't really matter to me.
Get outta this Tread!

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Powerman88 said:
Okay I understand that there are LEGIONS of console shooter fans, but there are so many games that really brought something new to the table. How about Batman Arkham Asylum the first PLAYABLE BATMAN GAME EVER! I mean seriously, has there ever been a Batman game even worth spending an hour on, forget being 8 of the greatest gaming hours of my life? Ugh, I am just sick of hearing about how awesome another military online console shooter is.... Anyone else?

How many times must people complain about CoD now? If you don't like it, make a nice little post somewhere. Theres so many threads about this now, you could go post there.