Am I the only person who kind of hates Valve?

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
This may sound kind of backwards, and it is, but while I like their games, as developers they wouldn't be in my Top 5.

This is mostly because they just don't seem to know how to make a console game if their lives depended on it. Sure Valve's PC releases are great and all (Although I know quite a few people that say TF2 is a pile of shit now), but their (they're?) console release record is pretty damn spotty.

Yes, I know, Microsofts update/DLC policies are kind of shit. But when you can't even get a map pack out, that's pretty sad. What really annoys me is that for years they've been pointing the finger at Microsoft (And Sony) going "It's not us! It's them! They won't let us!" whilst other, more competent developers are able to get out a ton of DLC with little fuss. I mean, they announced the next bit of DLC for L4D2 around January. And it's not like they're building entirely new maps, they're just porting some old L4D1 maps. Any other developer could have knocked that out in a few short months. How is it other developers like Bethesda and Gearbox and even Infinity Ward/Treyarch are dependent enough to get out a good amount of DLC and updates for their games yet Valve can only get out, what? 2 bits of DLC for L4D2? Over almost two years? Both using the exact same last map to boot!

I've tried to criticism Valve in the past and am usually met with a tidal wave of hate because "They made Steam!" or "They made Half-Life/TF2/Portal!" Everybody seems to give them a free pass and I just find it shameful.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
You're never the only one, Valve has made many contributions to the gaming industry to earn people's respect, you are never the only one, you are entitled to your opinion, you are never the only one, this thread will devolve into flaming in approximately three posts by my estimate, YOU ARE NEVER THE ONLY ONE.
/thread

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
"This is mostly because they just don't seem to know how to make a console game if their lives depended on it." This line right here made me laugh out a tiny tear. Who cares? They are a PC developer.

Afaik the reason they have trouble with DLC is because MS has decided that ALL DLC shall cost money on xbox live NO MATTER WHAT. And Valve wants to give us their DLC free.

If you seriously manage to fault Valve for that there is no convincing you.

Valve recently released DLC for Portal 2. For free. They are releasing MOD TOOLS so players can make their own levels. Instead of bleeding customers for a few extra buck with shit content like some other developers.

Valve are not gods, they are not infallible, but they are damn well lightyears ahead of IW/Treyarch!

Dec 14, 2009
Valve isn't my favourite dev by a long shot.

They take forever to release games, and while those games are usually of a very good quality, they don't rank high up on my list.

They are, however, the most honest devs around and give all their DLC away for free (not including hats and other optional aesthetic choices).

I have yet to be fed any kind of bullshit from Valve, they have always been very honest about the way they do things, and for that they have my respect.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Do any of Bethesda's, Gearbox's, Infinity Ward's or Treyarch's Dlcs cost you the grand total of nothing! All valve PC game dlcs are absolutely free. But only the most recent Portal 2 dlc is. Valve would love to release more dlc for the Xbox (they can on ps3 because now steam is on there), but they cant because they are being forced by Microsoft to sell them for money. Also, if you are complaining that you wont get the l4d1 maps in l4d2, then go out and buy l4d1. It's only like £5 in most places.

MightyRabbit

Feb 16, 2011
As do Valve's "spotty" console record, they are primarily a PC developer, and as for their long production times, they are running Steam as well as creating all their new games and DLC and maintaining all their old games. They've got a lot to do, and they do consistently turn out quality games. Can anybody name an unequivocally *bad* Valve game?

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
tzimize said:
Afaik the reason they have trouble with DLC is because MS has decided that ALL DLC shall cost money on xbox live NO MATTER WHAT. And Valve wants to give us their DLC free.
Yeah, they want to give it to us for free, but they can't. Every now and then maybe but not every time. They need to get over that and just release stuff for $7/10. I'd rather just pay then wait a year for them to try negotiating with MS before giving up and either releasing the DLC for money anyway or just not releasing the DLC at all.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
MightyRabbit said:
As do Valve's "spotty" console record, they are primarily a PC developer, and as for their long production times, they are running Steam as well as creating all their new games and DLC and maintaining all their old games. They've got a lot to do, and they do consistently turn out quality games. Can anybody name an unequivocally *bad* Valve game?
Ricochet?

Also, why is it acceptable for Valve to be primarily a PC developer and make bad ports for consoles, but when a primarily Console developer makes a bad port for the PC, the developer is the child of Satan and should die?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
First, you're never the only one.

I'd be surprised if anyone could come up with a philosophy in which they were the only one.

Gorilla Gunk said:
Yes, I know, Microsofts update/DLC policies are kind of shit. But when you can't even get a map pack out, that's pretty sad. What really annoys me is that for years they've been pointing the finger at Microsoft (And Sony) going "It's not us! It's them! They won't let us!" whilst other, more competent developers are able to get out a ton of DLC with little fuss.
What's more, Valve lies about Microsoft's policy. Several companies have updated their games in the way Valve said they could not, including games as large as EA (Burnout Paradise) and as small as Über (Monday Night Combat). Not to mention they were okay with Super Meat Boy's methods. So it's not like they can't, they just won't. Why? Because they want STEAM on XBox. That's it. nothing more. If Microsoft doesn't let them dominate the market like a monopoly should they will hold their breath until they turn blue and get their fans to rant about the big evil Microsoft.

Not that MS is without sin, it's just that I've found most of the gamer's darlings turn out to be shitheads who use their fanbase. Mojang's recent pissing contest with Obsidian is HILARIOUS because Notch is lying to people to play the poor underdog and they eat it up.

Again, not that Obsidian is without sin, just that Notch, like Valve, is all "fuck truth, we have a slobbering horde of fanboys! SIC 'EM!"

Honestly, I have no loyalty to any of the above. I don't align myself with anyone whose job is to try and make the most profit off me they can. I'm not "anti-capitalism" or anything, I just don't mistake PR for "friendship" or whatever.

Valve really sucks in a lot of ways, but people don't care because they have game sales and titles that people love. I'm pretty sure they could steal your wallet and shoot your dog as long as they put out a Christmas sale or two.

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
Pro-tip: you are never the only one.

I've never had a problem with their console ports although I heard the PS3 version of the orange box is atrocious but that was EA porting not valve. (I think)

If your problem is that they don't crank regular DLC releases on consoles, well like stated above Valve are primarily PC developers. They are more likely to release on PC first, plus they have a tendency to give a shitload of things for free which goes against Microsoft's DLC policy, I don't think they have that trouble with Sony though.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Valve isn't my favourite dev by a long shot.

They take forever to release games, and while those games are usually of a very good quality, they don't rank high up on my list.

They are, however, the most honest devs around and give all their DLC away for free (not including hats and other optional aesthetic choices).

I have yet to be fed any kind of bullshit from Valve, they have always been very honest about the way they do things, and for that they have my respect.
This. Anyone remember how Valve responded to the L4D2 boycott? Most companies would just have ignored it outright. Valve took the time to invite the ringleaders around for a quick demo. From the sound of some things circling around, it seems they've learned their lesson from the boycott.

In other words, Valve do the one thing most companies forget about doing - looking after the people who bought their product.

psicat

Feb 13, 2011
Fuck Valve. They are a shit developer that makes a few good games and just as many average or poor ones. They have a shitty development cycle. And, they are responsible for one of the biggest forced DRM platforms out there for the PC market so they get no love from me for there focus on PC gaming either.