"Amazing" Should be Banished From the English Language

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
I daresay there are bigger issues in the world, but long live the fun right?

"Amazing" doesn't really bother me that much, "Awesome" bugs me a lot more. "Amazing" is just a tad more revined, I guess.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
chronobreak said:
Here's the basement to my house, can this be considered a "man cave"?
Get a pinball machine in there and that is the very definition of a man cave.

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
The Wykydtron said:
No ban for "ironic?" i mean, half the internet seems to have forgotten how to use the word correctly so i thought these guys would be all over it.

Man that's Ironic

As for *Announcer voice* AAAAMMMAZING! Meh at least "legendary" has stopped, remember when everything was "legendary?" Good times
I agree on Ironic. Also Cynical. Again, i don't hate the words, just the fact that they are misused all the time.

My personal votes for banned 'words' (though you cant really call them words because they're made up) are planogram (seriously? Why? You don't need to combine the words 'plan' and 'diagram'. Unless you're an idiot and work in retail) and quadrilogy. Which is just too fucking moronic for, uh, words...

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
......... Who cares I can with out a shadow of a doubt say that everyone has and will continue to murder the English language with overused words. The horse has already been beaten to dust and returned to the earth to give nutrients to the plants and soil. This may be continuing along because I watched that Louis CK vid, but let it go everyone cause you, and you..... especially some other tosser who'll not be mentioned will continue on and your children and their children and your children's children, to screw up the English language that they'll be speaking their whole lives.
So just get out now, sheesh!

Lokithrsourcerer

Nov 24, 2008
hmm funny thing is most people I know use amazing purely as a sudo-sarcastic derogatory term, either when something is bad or to express a lack of interest in a subject.

E.G
Amazing! my PC has crashed.

or

Bob: "I just got modern warfare 3!"
John: "Amazing" :-/

(the smiley is to emphasise the lack of enthusiasm in the responders demeanour)

Lokithrsourcerer

Nov 24, 2008
The_Waspman said:
The Wykydtron said:
No ban for "ironic?" i mean, half the internet seems to have forgotten how to use the word correctly so i thought these guys would be all over it.

Man that's Ironic

As for *Announcer voice* AAAAMMMAZING! Meh at least "legendary" has stopped, remember when everything was "legendary?" Good times
I agree on Ironic. Also Cynical. Again, i don't hate the words, just the fact that they are misused all the time.

(QUOTE TRIMMED FOR RELEVANCE)
Can we add ignorant to that too I am sooooooooo sick of people using ignorant when they mean rude

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Love you for the Stephen Fry link.

Really, no words should ever have to be banned: in fact the opposite should happen, people should be encouraged to expand their vocabulary.

Jdb

May 26, 2010
How about bandwagon?

What I always thought it meant - Agreeing for the sake of agreeing.

What the Internet thinks it means - Anyone with a different opinion than you, regardless of presentation.

TomLikesGuitar

Jul 6, 2010
Words have trends. Deal with it.

You can't make a big deal just because people are changing the meanings of words slightly.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
This made me think of a world where "Amazing" was only used when really necessary.

That seems like a beautiful place.

Fleaman

Nov 10, 2010
I don't think a word can be overused. You can misuse a word, for example using "literally" as a general intensifier, which is wrong because "literally" has a very specific and objective meaning outside of that, qualifying a statement as being un-figurative. This diminishes clarity, as there is no other word with that meaning.

"Amazing", however, is completely subjective. To be amazed is not a unique scenario that requires specialized language to describe. It's no great loss to English if people want to use "amazing" to exaggerate the quality of hair, and the missed opportunity to use a more suitable descriptor for the hair is similarly unlamented.

The degree of an intensifier is inversely related to its ubiquity; the strongest exaggeration is an unusual one, like "devastatingly attractive" or "psychotically well organized" or "cosmically adorable". It's obvious that one stuck in the craw of public consciousness is going to lose its flavor; at which point it is naturally replaced by other words. This is the circle of life.

And, really, "aptly described the process of birth"? Do shut the fuck up.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
You know what the most AMAZING(lol) part of this is? Even if they removed these words from the English language, everyone would still use them. People use words that aren't even real (like funner), so wtf good does deleting a word do!? This kind of stuff only matters to people with yard sticks up their butts who constantly walk around projectile-monocleing at everything they see; uttering the phrase 'My Word!' or 'I never!' like it was a form of greeting.

Dreadjaws

Nov 29, 2011
I have to say this is a really stupid complaint. The word "Amazing" should be banned because it's been used several times in TV shows? No wonder that idea came out on a New Year's Eve party: everyone was drunk when they came up with it.

Of all the words which are far more overused, misunderstood and annoying they didn't mention even one (how about "Irony", which no one seems to know what it means yet everyone uses it?), but "Amazing" is so bad that the Spider-Man comics should be all burned, right? This is ridiculously unbelievable.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Marter said:
So, is "epic" finally having its usage cut down? I hope so. Anyone remember that time when absolutely everything was "epic"? Man, that was awful.

Also, I learned something from this article: Martha Stewart has a television show. I did not know that.
I have always only used "epic" when approiate: in reference to poetry, a certain style of visuals/audio (Ie, avatar, and Halo's music).

That said: The definition of words change based on how they are used.

Zetona

Dec 20, 2008
What about "brilliant"? Maybe it's because I follow English football, but my God I see that word way too often.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
I'd love to ban 'Kudos'.

Also, 'literally', 'epic', 'full of win', 'cake is a lie', 'banhammer', and most importantly 'facepalm'.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
*Sigh*

Yoiu cannot remove ordinary words from the english dictionary just because you don't like them. The only thing you can remove are the 'words' that are NOT words, like bullshit slang-terms. What do you think this is, George Orwell's world of 1984 making everything 'double plus ungood'?

[HEADING=1]"Well..."[/HEADING]​

Nope, sorry. Not buying it. You can take that load and drop it in the bin where it belongs.

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
My biggest take away from this is Stephen Fry! That guy's voice has so much charisma, I am immediately a fan.

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
But that's my favourite George Michael song!!!
DVS BSTrD said:
Can we also ban the phrase, "job creators?"
Yes...yes we can. I see no way to use that phrase properly, so we can.

As for Occupy, we had one of those rallies in my hometown of Sudbury...Ontario...Canada.

For the initiated, that is not a city in the United States. The thing about Canada is that we don't really have a problem with wealth inequality that I'm aware of. In fact last I checked, we're in the median. So I have no idea what they were protesting.