Amazing Spider-Man 2 Alternate Ending Revives Dead Character

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Amazing Spider-Man 2 Alternate Ending Revives Dead Character

The Amazing Spider-Man 2's alternate ending just got leaked and it reveals a crazy twist for Spider-Man fans.

Didn't like The Amazing Spider-Man 2's ending? Or maybe you felt like the film didn't have enough story elements in it? Fortunately for Spidey fans, the alternate ending making the rounds today contains a bombshell of a twist.

Word of warning before reading any further, there's some major spoilers here that some people might not want to read, so proceed at your own risk.

The five-minute scene [https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=680168522076082] (go watch it now since Sony has been pulling them down as fast as Spidey's webslingers), takes place towards the end of Amazing Spider-Man 2 and shows Peter mourning Gwen Stacy's death. And here's the twist: Richard Parker appears behind him looking haggard with a short white beard. You read that right! Richard Parker, who was originally said to have died in a plane crash, leaving Peter to be raised by his aunt and uncle, is alive! Peter is seen looking upset and confused, but settles down when he and his dad talk. Richard explains to Peter that he went dark to disappear from Oscorp and to protect his family. He (Richard) then delivers a speech on how he's not the right person to save the world but Peter is. And in a rather odd move, Peter's dad -- and not uncle Ben -- delivers the age-old "With great power comes great responsibility" spiel that was noticeably absent in the first Amazing Spider-Man film.

At this point, it's unknown why director Marc Webb decided to drop the ending. Maybe it's because introducing the Rhino, showing Electro's origin, Harry Osborne appearing and then becoming the Green Goblin, Gwen's death and Richard Parker being alive after all crammed into one movie was a tad too much to take? Your guess is as good as mine. However, it's clear that with the scene finished, Webb planned this to be a part of his Spider-Man universe in some form or another. Will the scene appear again officially in the film's canon or will Richard Parker's scene join Shailene Woodley's Mary Jane scenes that got cut out permanently? [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135423-Shailene-Woodley-Not-Returning-as-Mary-Jane-in-Amazing-Spider-Man-3]

How do you feel about this other finale now that you've read (and hopefully watched) it? Would this alternate ending have made Amazing Spider-Man 2's conclusion better? Should Sony bring back Richard Parker at some point or should he stay dead? Sound off and let us know in the comments.

Source: Slashfilm [http://www.slashfilm.com/amazing-spider-man-2-alternate-ending/]

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Wow! I understand why they would leave this out after everything else they piled into their 2nd movie. They probably were planning to work this in as the setup for the 3rd movie, but this might have convinced them to change their plans. Of course bringing back parents who "died" mysteriously off camera is nothing new. I like the dad in the movies, he really nails the fatherly tone, but I fear he would just muddle the story even more than their "OSCORP is behind EVERYTHING" already has.

I wonder how this got out?

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Well that would have just made the film more of a mess.
Didn't Peter's dad come back in the comics too? Only to turn out to be a killer robot?

I kinda don't see any reason to have him in the movies, not as an active character anyway.
I don't even particularly like him being an important character at all with the backstory and stuff, but it's not like I terribly care.

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
It kind of makes sense for Peter's dad to give "the line", since Uncle Ben's (really reeeeeally underrated) speech at the first movie WAS based on something Peter's dad 'used to say'.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Didn't the ending with Peter taking on Rhino post-Gwen's death lend itself to the notion that Peter understands his responsibility as Spiderman goes beyond his personal issues? It seems redundant to have his father come here and give the "responsibility speech."

Also, come on! Imagine putting the trailer together and given the choice between Peter taking on Rhino, or him sitting in a graveyard..."show the action, folks!" This "character development," and "drama" and all that stuff," that's for the birds.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
All this ending needed was richard parker delivering a 2 hour exposition of everything we already knew and dropping dead by foxdie.

Jinjer

Jun 16, 2012
I remember in Ultimate Spider-man there was a time when 'Richard Parker' showed up only it turned out he was a Peter Parker clone with rapid aging turned on and programmed to think he was Peter's dad. TAS3: Clone Saga, maybe?

VoltySquirrel

Feb 5, 2009
Thank god this shit wasn't in the movie. It would've only made the movie even worse. I wouldn't have seen it as a shocking reveal or something and more of a final middle finger to the audience.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
VoltySquirrel said:
Thank god this shit wasn't in the movie. It would've only made the movie even worse. I wouldn't have seen it as a shocking reveal or something and more of a final middle finger to the audience.
Considering that Sony has no intention of allowing the rights to revert to Marvel, I'm pretty sure we haven't seen the last of their middle finger

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Isn't the whole parents thing widely considered one of the most unnecessary, boring, and uninteresting elements of this new series?

I remain bugged (heh) that Amazing Spider-man had some great action and the best Spider-man costume yet... but the whole film was a letdown that looked at Spider-man 3's too-many-villains and Batman & Robin and said "yeah, we'll take inspiration from that".

The whole Richard Parker is alive thing reminds me oh-so-much of this too:

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Well, I didn't see that one coming.

Couldn't hear most of the dialogue, though, so watching it was partially lost on me.

Lieju said:
Didn't Peter's dad come back in the comics too? Only to turn out to be a killer robot?
If I remember right, they were part of Allistair Smythe's Spider-Slayer line.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
What they should have done was include this, and then cut to a scene of Kraven the Hunter interrogating a woman that is hanging from chains in a prison cell, only to hear Kraven say "So, tell me about your husband's work...Mrs Parker." And then have the camera pull back to show Peter's mother. And then cut to Aunt May looking over her shoulder as she enters a secret basement in the house, to then find her nursing an unconscious Gwen Stacy back to health. I think that would have set things up nicely.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
tdylan said:
What they should have done was include this, and then cut to a scene of Kraven the Hunter interrogating a woman that is hanging from chains in a prison cell, only to hear Kraven say "So, tell me about your husband's work...Mrs Parker." And then have the camera pull back to show Peter's mother. And then cut to Aunt May looking over her shoulder as she enters a secret basement in the house, to then find her nursing an unconscious Gwen Stacy back to health. I think that would have set things up nicely.
I laughed more than I probably should have. Sad thing is, I could see them pulling this.

Still better than putting the last five seconds of your movie in all of the trailers.

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011
Having seen TAS2 two days ago for the first time, I was actually surprised Richard Parker didn't show up at the end, since the scene in the jet was perfectly set up for a "death scene but not really".
Remember, everyone on that plane was dead before it crashed, except Richard. Who still had a parachute.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
tdylan said:
That would have been worse than the actual movie, but I would have enjoyed your version a lot more.

Here's an idea, Sony can have a cross-dimension cross-over and have James Franco come back at Harry Osborn. Harry doesn't die since he really just needed basic medical attention, but is chasing the symbiot across dimensions and winds up the "The Amazing" universe. The symbiot merges with Gwen, bringing her back from the dead, giving Sony the setup for their female-lead and Venom-lead in the same movie.

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
tdylan said:
Also, come on! Imagine putting the trailer together and given the choice between Peter taking on Rhino, or him sitting in a graveyard..."show the action, folks!" This "character development," and "drama" and all that stuff," that's for the birds.
I don't understand this sentiment. Yes, superheroes can show great F/X work, but there's also room for human drama and emotion. Would you rather see an action movie without character development or growth and have nothing but fight scenes and effects?

What's wrong with drama?

TheMemoman

Mar 11, 2013
"Let's shoot anything and everything and we'll assemble a collage-movie out of the scenes that test best."

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Burnouts3s3 said:
tdylan said:
I don't understand this sentiment. Yes, superheroes can show great F/X work, but there's also room for human drama and emotion. Would you rather see an action movie without character development or growth and have nothing but fight scenes and effects?

What's wrong with drama?
I was being facetious.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
I saw the blue ray laying at my friend's desk and I didn't even bother to borrow it, that's how uninteresting I find the new spiderman. Once is already one time too many.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Ha ha. I read that headline and thought it meant that Gwyn was going to still be alive, and I would have been very disappointed. You need to stick to your guns, especially given her history in the comics.

As it stands, I never saw the movie. I still can't accept that person as Spider-Man, but that's beside the point. If this had been thrown in, I do think it would have been too much. Even if the movie wasn't a total mess, from what I understand, having his dad show up like that on top of everything else would have caused stuff to collapse. It's just too much to take in.