Amazon Alexa estimated to lose $10 billion this year.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Wait, people *don't* want to pay for electronic snitches in their house that record everything for Amazon and allows them to maybe buy something sight unseen if the voice recognition doesn't screw up again?

I'm shocked

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Wait, people *don't* want to pay for electronic snitches in their house that record everything for Amazon and allows them to maybe buy something sight unseen if the voice recognition doesn't screw up again?

I'm shocked
Well they do want that, it's just that they were sold at a loss and Amazon expected the increased business from people buying things through the speaker to be where the profit was. However, it wasn't.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Raise the price, or cut down on costs, not everything is social media good/service that everyone must use to increase its economic value.

Reactions: gorfias

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Reactions: gorfias

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Of course no one uses Alexa to actually BUY things.

When 17 different vendors all sell the same thing on the Amazon marketplace for sometimes VASTLY different amounts of course no one is going to tell Alexa to buy a thing and let the AI decide who it actually gets bought from and how much money they're going to spend on it.

It's almost like someone with half a brain would have realized that if they actually used Amazon for 10 minutes.

Florime

Sep 22, 2021
Country
USA
Alexa from Amazon is a really useful gadget, but not enough to trust it to constantly buy goods using voice commands. It is too unprofitable and irrational. For example, I need an Air Fryer for my large family: I will watch several videos on YouTube, analyze the models and prices, and even after that it will be difficult for me to make a choice. It is unlikely that Alexa will conduct such an analysis to order an Air Fryer for me. I've barely figured out the problem of random beeps at 3am. It's good that other people have shared their experiences with the problems of random sounds on the Echo Dot. A few years ago I ordered socks through Alexa - I got the pink color and it was not my size. That concludes my Alexa shopping experience.
7cryjj.jpg

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I didn't even know that was an important feature. They aren't giving the full blown speaker away. Thing costs as much as $200. I have gotten the dots for as little as $15 during sales. That does seem like a loss leader.

As for privacy? I cover computer/laptop cameras but when I can mention to my wife we need a new x, and she starts getting ads in email offering x, or uses facebook and x is in the ad columns? They probably already know the color of my underwear.