Amazon Confirms Full Australian Retail Operations

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Amazon Confirms Full Australian Retail Operations

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/695/695802.jpg
Good news for Australians: we'll soon have our very own Amazon warehouses.

Something that has been rumored for quite some time but never actually officially confirmed is Amazon's expansion into Australia, with a full retail operation including regional warehouses. Well the good news for all of us down under is that Amazon has now officially confirmed the news.

In a statement issued to Gizmodo [https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/04/confirmed-amazon-retail-is-officially-coming-to-australia/], an Amazon representative said:

"Amazon Web Services launched an Australian region in 2012, we launched a Kindle Store on Amazon.com.au in 2013, and we now have almost 1,000 employees in the country"

"The next step is to bring a retail offering to Australia, and we are making those plans now. We are excited to bring thousands of new jobs to Australia, millions of dollars in additional investment, and to empower small Australian businesses through Amazon Marketplace."

"We are optimistic that by focusing on the things we believe customers value most - low prices, vast selection, and fast delivery - over time we'll earn the business of Australian customers."

Industry experts are predicting that Amazon's entry into the market will result in shocking losses for many brick-and-mortar retailers, such as JB Hi-Fi, Myer, and Harvey Norman.

It's not known if Amazon Australia will come with all the bells and whistles that the US version has, such as Amazon Prime with it's 1-day shipping.

Source: Gizmodo [https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/04/confirmed-amazon-retail-is-officially-coming-to-australia/]

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
thank god

there's nothing worse than having to click through 15 identical items just to see if one of them ships to Australia and having to settle for something that's more expensive and costs as much to ship as the item itself

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Death Carr said:
thank god

there's nothing worse than having to click through 15 identical items just to see if one of them ships to Australia and having to settle for something that's more expensive and costs as much to ship as the item itself
they have lost alot of sales from me because of the shipping cost.. products that are $20 with $60 shipping

Sep 14, 2009
Death Carr said:
thank god

lol wrekt.

I think it's been 5 years since I've paid for shipping, and on top of that waiting more than 2-3 days for a package.

#murica

but really, while this is good for you guys, be wary of counterfeits flooding australia, there are tons of "sellers" that sell counterfeit shit through amazon, mix their shit in, which is where you get the discrepancy on people saying "my item is great" or "DOA, piece of shit, don't buy", and then once they have your card/info, they'll attempt credit card fraud that way for a double whammy.

So keep that in mind when buying through other sellers on amazon and/or sellers bringing pallets of shit to amazons warehouse to sell through them.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
will result in shocking losses for many brick-and-mortar retailers, such as JB Hi-Fi, Myer, and Harvey Norman.
I look at this way, perhaps it will finally see a reduction in the Australia Tax [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_Tax].

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
008Zulu said:
Steven Bogos said:
will result in shocking losses for many brick-and-mortar retailers, such as JB Hi-Fi, Myer, and Harvey Norman.
I look at this way, perhaps it will finally see a reduction in the Australia Tax [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_Tax].
Ha! No. You're gonna have to pay the brick-and-mortar sustainability tax.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Wonder if this will help those of us in New Zealand at all... Then again, for some reason it costs an unreasonable sum to ship things just from Australia to us sometimes.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
In Canada we have our own warehouses but the item selection still blows