Amazon hired Pinkertons to spy on workers for hints at unionization.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Well, that sounds right awful. How long before Amazon starts disappearing people, assuming they aren't already.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
They have the money and resources to give workers good wages and safety standards.
If workers had some semblance of stability, they might also have the ability to quit and do something else, so that's obviously unacceptable.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Y'all probably wonder why I keep saying we're in a second Gilded Age...

...well, the ones who don't need to wonder these things, don't.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Amazon sucks. Nuff said. Now if you will excuse me, I off to hunt a PS5 at Walmart.

Reactions: Terminal Blue

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
The eternal leftist: Do we support unions and worker's rights, or do we support diversity?
"
Whole Foods employs roughly 95,000 people nationwide. Data collected in the heat map suggest that stores with low racial and ethnic diversity, especially those located in poor communities, are more likely to unionize. That’s a lot to unpack about your favorite place to buy expensive organic pasta sauce. When a Whole Foods suddenly pops up in a low-income neighborhood, it’s always a nail in the coffin that gentrification is in progress—and rents are about to go through the roof.
"

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
The eternal leftist: Do we support unions and worker's rights, or do we support diversity?
Or in other words, research shows that the invention of race is still fulfilling its intended function to divide workers and maintain the power of the capitalist class.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
How very traditional of them. I almost had a feeling of nostalgia for a time and place never experienced before for a second there

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
The evidence for this has been around for quite some time. Piketty pointed out that wealth distribution is as uneven now as it was at the height of the Gilded Age back in 2014 for example. Anyone who's followed the erosion of the middle class, the rise of working poor and the gradual but steady dismantling of labor protection should not be surprised.
It's a whole hell of a lot more than economic KPI's, frankly. You could also examine instability in electoral politics and the interference of private corporations, drawing parallels between 2016 and 1876, and the erosion of civil rights (and the civil rights movement) as well, but this isn't the thread for it.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Let that freak of a sentence serve as a reminder not to write on complex topics while running a fever. My intention was to say that Piketty pointed out the similarities between the modern day and the gilded age in Capital in the 21st Century which was released in 2014.
No no, it's fine. I hardly have the right to criticize someone for something like that when I'm so guilty of it myself.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Or in other words, research shows that the invention of race is still fulfilling its intended function to divide workers and maintain the power of the capitalist class.
Go ahead and tell @ObsidianJones race is an invention. Do you also think white-supremacy is an invention? Go tell that to @Revnak

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Go ahead and tell @ObsidianJones race is an invention. Do you also think white-supremacy is an invention? Go tell that to @Revnak
I'm not sure why you think those propositions would or should be contentious unless you have a severe misapprehension of the implications of something being a social construct. If humans define the elements of a situation as real, those elements of that situation are real in their consequences (Thomas 1928).

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
I'm not sure why you think those propositions would or should be contentious unless you have a severe misapprehension of the implications of something being a social construct. If humans define the elements of a situation as real, those elements of that situation are real in their consequences (Thomas 1928).
Go ahead, do it then.