Amazon is Hiring to Create its First PC Game

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Amazon is Hiring to Create its First PC Game

Online superstore Amazon has announced that they are now hiring to create an "ambitious" PC game, and has already nabbed some industry veterans.

Amazon no longer seems content with only selling everything from sponsored post on Gamasutra [http://www.amazon.com/1500-Live-Ladybugs-Guaranteed-Delivery/dp/B00533KOIC/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1433676992&sr=1-1&keywords=live+ladybugs] that they are now hiring for a variety of positions in order to create their first ever PC game.

"Amazon is committed to gamers, and building great teams who are excited to use Twitch, the AWS cloud, and technical innovation to radically evolve gameplay. We believe that games have just scratched the surface in their power to unite players and will produce some of the future's most influential voices in media and art."

The recruitment ad states that the current lineup is already comprised of a dream team that has worked on titles such as Portal, World of Warcraft, BioShock, Half Life 2, Left for Dead, Dota 2, Halo, Infamous, Shadows of Mordor and The Last of Us.

Until now, Amazon Game Studio has focused on creating mostly mobile games for its own devices [https://games.amazon.com/#our-games] with a few available on iOS and Android.

"We're building a team of top talent for an ambitious new PC game project using the latest technology." Amazon Game Studios here [http://www.amazon.jobs/team/amazon-game-studios#jobresults]. "We want people that are driven to make the best games in the industry. We're looking to take interesting risks, and invent!"

kimiyoribaka

Jul 11, 2012
I don't mean to be cynical, but their statements read like this: "We want the best people money can buy, so we can't possibly fail despite having no idea what we're doing!"

Seriously, skill means nothing if you don't have a plan or direction.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Holy cow. That barrel of lube comes with its own pump. I wonder if there's a firehose attachment.

Also, lulz to Amazon for getting into the game, so to speak. They already distribute software and sell Steam and PSN keys. Why not sell their own?

[sub]I wonder what happened to Kellee Santiago and the rest of the team that was making games for Amazon Fire TV?[/sub]

Sep 14, 2009
kimiyoribaka said:
I don't mean to be cynical, but their statements read like this: "We want the best people money can buy, so we can't possibly fail despite having no idea what we're doing!"

while this is true, amazon seems to be passionate about it (as much as a company can be) and they have ALOT of money backing them, so it at least is catching my interest.

Amazon seems to be on the ball usually for customer service and general reputation (unless I've missed something huge) so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and will keep an eye on this.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well it has my interest if nothing else, but i refuse to be excited while i know nothing about the game itself.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
considering amazon has its own distribution platform that has considerably more reach than anyone else's, this could be a big game changer for the AAA sector. That's assuming, of course, that what they make ends up being worth buying. This is the same company that got into an argument with the FAA about having the right to occasionally crash drones into random houses. :p

Still, I hope this rocks the boat and ends up being wildly successful. The big dev market is noticeably stale and desperately needs a shakeup. If amazon puts out something good and ends up paying its devs what they earn, then other talent might abandon their AAA master and head for the big a.

Full disclosure: I really just want to see Amazon push EA's face in the mud.

Gatlank

Aug 26, 2014
kimiyoribaka said:

It can provide the best entertainement if it crashes and burns. Plenty of lulz for a couple of days.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Ambitious? AMBITIOUS! That's one of those magically words that has been fading from the AAA scene that was a key to making a great game. Go Amazon!

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Jeff Bezos takes another step closer to a shareholder revolt. For company that isn't making a profit, Amazon is spending in far too many non core areas for the shareholders to be happy.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Given past experience I don't doubt that those developers will be working in the worst conditions possible. I can't really see that anything substantial will come from this in the near future if at all.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
They should definately get John Romero on board too. I heard he's pretty good at fullfilling hyped expectations. He has a friend called Molyneux something they should also look into.

I wonder if this game will be free for Amazon Prime subscribers. That would be a tempting new incentive for some. It's curious to imagine an Amazon logo on startup screens though. I may not be ready for such things.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Amazon will find a way to screw this up by allowing 3rd party sellers to get in on it. Then when that 3rd party has your money instead of Amazon you get to choose whether you keep something that might break or get charged near 1/4 for refunding it. I wouldn't trust Amazon with this sort of thing.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
They're making a MOBA, I guarantee it. Remember where you heard it first. I think Amazon just figured out how much of a cash cow a MOBA can be and they want that money.

PH3NOmenon

Oct 23, 2009
You know, Amazon is probably *the* company to run something that's heavily server-based. I hope they don't go for a standard mmo, but there's other applications of LIMITLESS CLOUD POWER that I can think of.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
My gut says "Wow! Think what they could do with that kind of money and distribution power!"
My heart says "Think what they'll pay with that kind of managerial inexperience."
My mind says "A company this DRM-happy probably doesn't have our best interests in mind."
It will, at the very least, be interesting to see how it all turns out.

kat-pottz

Jan 25, 2011
Wait, so they just bought double helix and now they are making another team already!? hopefully they have not abandoned them to make android games forever... but it looks a lot like that to me.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
albino boo said:
Jeff Bezos takes another step closer to a shareholder revolt. For company that isn't making a profit, Amazon is spending in far too many non core areas for the shareholders to be happy.
The company's share price is currently around $430 per share. That is $100 more than a year ago. Fairly certain the shareholders are content.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I guess we will soon see an attempt to out-spit Rockstars 500 million usd budget.

capcha: Labour of love

I wish, i wish.