Amazon Plans Netflix of Books

Clonekiller

Dec 7, 2010
Dang it. This sounds cool and all, but if you're an aspiring author, like me, this whole concept really makes my financial future look bleak.

zombiesinc

One day, we'll wake the zombies
Mar 29, 2010
It seems like a great step towards making e-books more affordable and appealing, but I still can't bring myself to really care. I prefer a physical copy, so it can sit on my bookshelf and look oh-so-book-like. I think what really bothers me is that I can't physically turn the page. The action itself just feels right, but it's also the visible progress that matters to me. I like knowing how far I've made it through a book or how close I am to the end. Sure numbered pages in an e-book could do at least some of that, but it just won't feel the same.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Greg Tito said:
I would miss my bookshelf, though. The Kindle is a great device, but it's no substitute for the look and feel of a well made book.
I used to think so too, but I just had to move, and with over 600 books in my library, in all kinds of shapes, sizes, weights, and conditions, hauling those many, many boxes of books reminded me insistently that this is the digital age, and perhaps my library should start reflecting that.

...was kind of satisfying, though, knowing that those few hundred pounds were full of mostly-read books. The weight, the heft, the entire truck filled with them, the way the smell of a hundred books temporarily permeated the truck, the way that same smell makes everyone aware exactly what room it is they're walking into...no amount of digital weight saving can replace that feeling.

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
Kindles suck, even those fancy e-ink types. Every time you turn a page the whole screen flashes black for a second. I cannot get over that. Also they cost money to buy and the books on them don't cost any less than normal books. Even this subscription service is a total rip off when you could just buy used books. That's another problem with the Kindle, you can't resell e-books.

The print medium isn't going to die. People used to think that plays would die and be replaced by motion pictures.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
That's my main problem with digital right now,(and I'm a huge fan and of Steam) is that, short of Amazon and the like actively slapping me about with their dicks for the fun of it, there's zero reason for any transferrable data sale, like Steam games and kindle ebook sales, Itunes mp3 albums etc, to cost MORE than something that's had to be made in a factory, shipped to a warehouse, then wrapped and delivered across an entire country.

In the end, people like having stuff on shelves that they own, especially when it comes to books, if they can't make book downloads significantly cheaper than buying the real book and having it brought to your damn door, then they need to look at their sales model.

Surely people aren't just paying more for ebooks because they're new? I wouldn't put it past the public, of course.

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
As an artist:

netflix + work = productive multitasking

reading + work = impossible

For my lady however, this could be a good thing.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I would seriously consider this I easily spend more than that on books per year.

I too like paper but being able to read any book when you want is just too awesome.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
Sorry. I can't get on board with this. Holding a physical copy of a book is a good chunk of the satisfaction of reading for me. I prefer physical copies of all of my media, actually.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
And rob my grandchildren of the chance to wander into a bookstore and browse dusty tomes? Would somebody please- PLEASE- think of the children.

Anyway, I'm happy with my actual books. Why does every medium have to be compressed into the creative singularity of accessible technology, anyway? Hell, my favourite way to enjoy a weekend involves me finding a remote second hand bookstore, seeking out a title I've never heard of and then (after a few hours of fervent reading) proudly championing it in front of my friends.

If this happens, that will become me, sitting in the bathroom, thinking, "Oh, look, I've never read this. Might tell my friends to buy it later."

Treaos Serrare

Aug 19, 2009
I have a Massive Library of E-books at present time, My total electric library is possibly near a thousand,but i will always prefer a a real book to read and have about a hundred books in the soft and hard backed variety. I prefer Hardbacks especially ones that have inlaid well designed covers, Not a flimsy dust cover, an Honest to god cover that's got a good design like old Gothic Tomes.
there are a few soft backs that have some cool designs see Here

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
I'm already an Amazon Prime member and a Kindle owner so... yay me? I still personall prefer hardcover books. (They make better gifts too.) So I'll keep buying them as long as they keep printing them.

As far as the publishers go, back in the day they decried the idea of public libraries saying that they would be the death of the publishing industry. The only thing that's going to kill traditional publishing is the same thing that's going to kill the traditional recording industry: their inability to think outside obsolete paradigms.

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
I much prefer the actual books than reading things on a screen. It just feels better to me. I can't imagine having to read whole books that way. I also like filling my bookshelf with books. It's good for people who enjoy that sort of thing. I know my mom would like that.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
this is great. i havent touched a paperback book for 6 years and i read around 5 books a year (i know, its not much). i always do it in electronic format, never in the ridiculous kindle though.

as for publishers: suck it up. the books DONT BELONG TO YOU. doesnt matter that the law says it does, it belongs to the people.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
carletonman said:
Now if they managed to put textbooks on this service, I'd gladly plunk down the $80 or so for this service. Considering I had to fork over a disgusting amount of money for school books, anywhere I can save money is a bonus.
ikr i'm almost a month behind on school work because i can't afford the prices for textbooks. if i could get the recent additions of the textbooks and only have to drop 50 here and there for online access codes I would gladly do this. Save me hundreds!

gabycms

Sep 1, 2011
Kindle > normal books in every conceivable way, and unless you actually read an entire book on a kindle you don't really have the right to argue that. Let me give you a few ways that it is better so you don't have to take my word for it:

The screen looks as good as any print, the resolution is not lacking, there is no glare, and you can't stain it. Not to mention you can change the size of the font whenever you want.

You don't have to flip pages, just one touch of a button and you are at the next page.

You have links in the text that can take you instantly to an appendix entry or the like.

It is lighter or as light as any one book you can find, and it can hold thousands of books in its internal memory and not to mention whispernet. This real book feel that i keep reading about in this forum, does that include wrist ache from folding a heavy book upright all day?

Its not made of paper, no dead trees.

It can read to you if you don't mind charging it more. Audio-books are better tho, but still.

The battery lasts long enough to read any book whit out recharging.

I will gladly hear replies to my arguments, but if you haven't used a kindle please think about the validity of your arguments before posting. Sentimental arguments will be ignored because they don't count.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Greg Tito said:
bestsellers that are currently only in hardcover like George R. R. Martin's Dance with Dragons
*Checks Kindle*
*Sees read digital copy of Dance with Dragons*

Whaaa?