Amazon to Begin Supplying Free-to-Play Games

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Amazon to Begin Supplying Free-to-Play Games

You can play Battlestar Galactica on Amazon's new Game Connect service.

Amazon has announced a new service, Game Connect, a free-to-play game supplier for PC and Mac. Game Connect - not to be confused with Kindle's GameCircle [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118410-Kindle-Fire-Games-Get-an-Upgrade] - will supply exclusive content and bonuses to customers who have linked their game account information with Amazon. This allows any extra content or virtual goods that the player purchases in-game to be sent direct to their Game Connect account.

"Game Connect helps game developers reach more customers," said Mike Frazzini, director of Amazon Games, adding that it would help developers "move more quickly and grow their business by simplifying the purchase process for customers." So far, there are twenty three games [http://www.amazon.com/b/?node=5267605011] on Amazon's free-to-play list, with more to come. Current content includes everything from Battlestar Galactica to dungeon crawler Drakensang, with a fair amount of Shin Megami Tensei Imagine added for good measure.

It's all done by the magic of digital delivery. Link your account, and everything else is done online. You need to be logged into Game Connect in order to play these games, naturally. No word yet as to what other games might be added to this service; the product list is looking a little skimpy at the moment, but presumably Amazon has other titles it intends to add soon.

Source: Amazon [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/13/amazon-announces-game-connect-new-free-to-play-game-service/]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Is it just me or is Amazon going to become the online equivalent to Walmart? They are slowing taking over every corner of online retail and now services :O

Bantis

Jan 27, 2009
Fappy said:
Is it just me or is Amazon going to become the online equivalent to Walmart? They are slowing taking over every corner of online retail and now services :O
Based on the last year or two it doesn't seem to be that slow... I'd say they're pretty much there.

Both stores have their share of sketchy practices behind the scenes, but I gotta say I don't need much incentive to stay out of Wal-Mart. It's chaos in there....

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Bantis said:
Fappy said:
Based on the last year or two it doesn't seem to be that slow... I'd say they're pretty much there.

Both stores have their share of sketchy practices behind the scenes, but I gotta say I don't need much incentive to stay out of Wal-Mart. It's chaos in there....
I shop at Target if it can be helped, but unfortunately Walmart was just too damn convenient back in college. Guess that happens when they build a university in the middle of nowhere.