Amazon to crash Pharmacies in the US with no survivors (Opening online shop)

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine

"
Shares of drugstore chains sank in pre-market trading, with CVS dropping about 9% and Walgreens slumping 12%. Amazon shares rose 2.6%.
"

"
Most insurance is accepted, Amazon said. But Prime members who don't have insurance can also buy generic or brand name drugs from Amazon for a discount, which the company said will be up to 80% off for generic medications and up to 40% off brand-name medications.
"

RIP CVS and Wallgreens. Welcome to the new normal!

How can Amazon demolish another industry? With more money!

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Uh-huh.

I hope Amazon can also do instant delivery, because one of the handy things I find out about pharmacies is that (in cities at least) there's guaranteed to be a 24h pharmacy if you need something immediately, at any time.

Alternatively, I would be perfectly happy for Amazon to be forcibly broken up. In the UK, I'd just like them to be forced to pay a reasonable amount of tax, seeing as they are cheating the hell out of us.

We had some online pharmacies open in the UK. Within a year or two, it turned out one at least had a very suspiciously high rate of dispensing opioids and benzodiazepines. So they checked, and found it was merrily processing a ton of fraudulent prescriptions. The owner duly came along and said "blah blah blah we're very shocked we can't imagine why this would happen but we'll institute more checks blah blah blah."

I cannot for the fucking life of me credit that someone could start an online pharmacy and not very strictly check out prescriptions for addictive drugs of abuse. Who'd have ever predicted people might try to cheat on them? Frankly, at worst, I think they deliberately didn't look that hard, because they were happier to make the money.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Uh-huh.

I hope Amazon can also do instant delivery, because one of the handy things I find out about pharmacies is that (in cities at least) there's guaranteed to be a 24h pharmacy if you need something immediately, at any time.

Alternatively, I would be perfectly happy for Amazon to be forcibly broken up. In the UK, I'd just like them to be forced to pay a reasonable amount of tax, seeing as they are cheating the hell out of us.
Why would they pay tax in the UK when they get US subsidies and tax breaks?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

"
Shares of drugstore chains sank in pre-market trading, with CVS dropping about 9% and Walgreens slumping 12%. Amazon shares rose 2.6%.
"

"
Most insurance is accepted, Amazon said. But Prime members who don't have insurance can also buy generic or brand name drugs from Amazon for a discount, which the company said will be up to 80% off for generic medications and up to 40% off brand-name medications.
"

RIP CVS and Wallgreens. Welcome to the new normal!

Amazon hasn’t been stopped before doing the exact same thing, particularly targeting small businesses. I can’t impinge anyone stopping them now

Tireseas

Plaguegirl
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Seattle
Country
United States
To the surprise of, well, nobody who was paying attention to the industry. When CVS and Aetna merged last year, there was actually quite a bit of discussion about how it was a way of trying to survive a potential entrance into the market by Amazon.

Either way, I'm skeptical it would have a much larger impact than was already a trend in the industry to shift to by-mail pharmacies (I have to use one for my PrEP medication while still getting the rest at my grocery store). Grocery pharmacies are likely to be the least affected simply because they're still going to be faster and most convenient overall and while companies like CVS and Walgreens/Rite Aid remain large chains, they have additional retail to fall back on. Amazon's entrance into the grocery market had almost no impact and even in the Seattle area, Amazon fresh is quite small compared to Safeway and Fred Meyer's drive-up and delivery options.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Do it to hospitals, insurance, and drug companies too.

Reactions: Kwak

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Cheaper health products, good.
Causing the collapse of competing employers and becoming a generic monopoly, bad.
Why is there no middle ground?
Can't amazon just want to have SOME of the money, not all of it?

Reactions: CM156

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I don't see a big deal here. Brick and mortar pharmacies with actual pharmacists will still be required to hand out anything that qualifies as a controlled substance: so that is at the very least all the opiate based drugs, anything with ephedrine and a whole host of other shit. Unless medication in the US is that fucking deregulated of course.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
The U.S. really needs to get rid of the "for profit" aspect of (non-cosmetic)pharma and healthcare.

Reactions: tippy2k2

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
The U.S. really needs to get rid of the "for profit" aspect of (non-cosmetic)pharma and healthcare.
Don't you see!?! The FrEe MaRkEt can run health care, which will force everyone to compete with each other, forcing prices to go down as everyone tries to undercut everyone else!

That's why The United States has the cheapest health care in the world and no one has to skip lunch every day in order to afford their meds or go bankrupt after a hospital visit! All this competition!!!

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I cannot for the fucking life of me credit that someone could start an online pharmacy and not very strictly check out prescriptions for addictive drugs of abuse. Who'd have ever predicted people might try to cheat on them? Frankly, at worst, I think they deliberately didn't look that hard, because they were happier to make the money.
What better audience for Amazon Prime then medicated zombies who don't have to leave their chair, like, ever again?

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
Don't you see!?! The FrEe MaRkEt can run health care, which will force everyone to compete with each other, forcing prices to go down as everyone tries to undercut everyone else!

That's why The United States has the cheapest health care in the world and no one has to skip lunch every day in order to afford their meds or go bankrupt after a hospital visit! All this competition!!!
Letting the goddamn fox guard the henhouse. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why nobody looks thought that someone having to turn a profit by providing products necessary for continued life was a good idea.
It seems like such an obvious conflict of interest. But no, free market it is and to hell with the people.

Every CEO and politician should be forced to attend several ethics courses.

Reactions: tippy2k2

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
To the surprise of, well, nobody who was paying attention to the industry. When CVS and Aetna merged last year, there was actually quite a bit of discussion about how it was a way of trying to survive a potential entrance into the market by Amazon.

Either way, I'm skeptical it would have a much larger impact than was already a trend in the industry to shift to by-mail pharmacies (I have to use one for my PrEP medication while still getting the rest at my grocery store). Grocery pharmacies are likely to be the least affected simply because they're still going to be faster and most convenient overall and while companies like CVS and Walgreens/Rite Aid remain large chains, they have additional retail to fall back on. Amazon's entrance into the grocery market had almost no impact and even in the Seattle area, Amazon fresh is quite small compared to Safeway and Fred Meyer's drive-up and delivery options.
In both examples (grocery food delivery) and this, it seems like Amazon bought a small competitor and hooked it up to amazon logistics. I suspect the policy here is to break the competition with pricing and then buy them pennies on the dollar, like Rockefeller a century ago.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I don't know what would be worse: our current healthcare system or one run by Amazon.
It buys us more time for medicare for all. I would prefer a regular health system < Amazon health system < Public Option < Medicare for all lite(between public option, and Medicare for all, basically all the healthcare system in most countries that aren't public options) < Medicare for All < National Health Care System( Ex. UK)

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
It buys us more time for medicare for all.
Okay, but do you think that if Amazon comes into the market and is able to start making profits that they would allow it? The battle for medicare for all is already hard enough with all of the current companies having dug in for a while now, last thing we need is Bozos in the house.