AMC Greenlights The Walking Dead TV Spinoff For 2015

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
AMC Greenlights The Walking Dead TV Spinoff For 2015

Robert Kirkman named Executive Producer on a new show set in The Walking Dead universe.

You want to see more of The Walking Dead? You got it. AMC has announced plans to produce a second series set in universe of the show. Unlike the current program, which gets the outline for its narrative from its comic-book source material, the spinoff will feature an entirely new story with a new cast of characters.

Worried that an original story will lead producers to stray too far from the original vision for the series? You'll be happy to hear that creator Robert Kirkman will serve executive producer on the new show, along with The Walking Dead executive producers Gale Anne Hurd and David Alpert.

"I couldn't be more thrilled about getting the chance to create a new corner of The Walking Dead universe," Kirkman wrote in a prepared statement. "The opportunity to make a show that isn't tethered by the events of the comic book, and is truly a blank page, has set my creativity racing."

AMC president said the decision to make a spin-off was "literally a no-brainer." This is the second spinoff AMC has announced this month, after Better Call Saul [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127726-Breaking-Bad-Spinoff-Series-Greenlit-by-AMC], the Breaking Bad prequel focusing protagonist Walter White's lawyer, Saul Goodman. Lateral programming seems to be increasingly important strategy for AMC: Technically, The Walking Dead spinoff and Better Call Saul are both the third program AMC has produced revolving around their flagship shows: AMC already makes Talking Dead and Talking Bad, a pair of companion talk shows with the series' creators that air directly after their respective programs.

Season four of The Walking Dead premieres October 13 on AMC.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/amc-prepping-the-walking-dead-companion-series-produced-by-robert-kirkman-gale-anne-hurd-david-alpert/]

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
If it keeps up the quality (and the budgets aren't as much of an issue as previously), then I'll be happy. Walking Dead is my big in-between show while I wait for Game of Thrones, so a second one to PVR will be quite nice.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Misuse of the word literally notwithstanding (don't link that xkcd comic) this is news. I don't think I've ever really paid attention to a spin-off but we'll see where this goes.

Nokturos

Nov 17, 2009
Robert Kirkman is rolling around in a massive pile of money, laughing maniacally.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Well, the Tell Tale game is a spin-off.... and we all see how that turned out. I am looking forward to it, and I think it could be really good. As for the current series, I like how its moving away from the comic book in alot of ways. I'm hoping it keeps moving away from them, in so much as we never see a particular character named Negan. I dont EVER want to see him on the show. E-V-E-R.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Are the characters actually going to be intelligent this time? For real, I don't understand why people like The Walking Dead when pretty much every character is retarded. People acting stupid doesn't make for good drama.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
So...what exactly is this new show going to do that Walking Dead doesn't already do? At least "Better Call Saul" could show different things than just the meth trade. Any show in the Walking Dead universe is just going to be a survival drama that does pretty much all the same things as its predecessor.

In short: I'm disappointed in the obvious cash-grab this seems to represent. I doubt I'll be watching it.

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
What are the odds that one of these "entirely new" characters will be a little girl called Clementine? Cos that would be awesome.