AMC's The Walking Dead Is a Massive Zombie Hit

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
The thing about this show is the lead character is the biggest dumb ass I've ever seen in a zombie flick.

And, unfortunately, the setup is played out.

Guy wakes from coma, his family is gone and the dead walk *cough (28 days later, resident evil)
His wife thinks he's dead and is plowing his best friend. (too many references too list)

I could go on but I'm late for a meeting.

Jenx

Dec 5, 2007
I dunno...The original comic was by no means bad, but it didn't really manage to hold my interest for long (spoiler,sort of: I pretty much dropped it a bit after they settled down into the prison building. I think it was specifically the issue where in the end they find some generator or something in one of the rooms) so I really doubt a TV show based on it will. I tried watching the first episode and honestly just couldn't stand it.

I feel like I've seen one too many "guy/girl wakes up in hospital, goes outside and it's hell on earth" scenes and now they are just starting to annoy me.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
It's being broadcasted on FOX here and I hate them with a burning passion. The show was 90 minutes, right?, FOX edited it to 60 minutes and they chopped a lot of stuff. I know, because later a friend of mine showed me the "real" episode. I hate FOX for this and I love The Walking Dead, I've never been this hooked to any non web-based series in a long time. I can't wait for the next episode.

quantumsoul

Jun 10, 2010
It's got a lot of potential but so far the pacing is off. Too slow at the beginning and too fast at the end, of this episode at least.

DeASplode

Nov 26, 2009
Agree on the "like a movie" bit.

My friend at first, said that this "movie" doesn't have much happening in it. To which I pointed out, it's a TV series. We're both pretty pumped for the next couple of episodes.

Eric Fred

May 19, 2010
If they manage to maintain the pacing and not just give us zombie-bash LXIV this could really be epic...

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
I try not to get too excited about the latest zombie movie/game/TV show/whatever, but... This was really fucking good. Having read the graphic novels, I was amazed at how well the story translated to TV.

Since I don't get cable, however, I had to purchase a season pass on iTunes >_>

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010
I want to see it, but, of course, I only get BASIC cable and IT ISN'T ON FUCKING HULU.

Damn it damn it damn it!!!!

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
This may come as a shock to networks execs, but... People. Loves. Zombies.

And that must be where the surprise in the success of the show lay, because apparently execs didn't understand audiences before or something, like to know that zombie madness had been sweeping the world for nigh on several years at least. That being said, the success of The Walking Dead doesn't comes as a shock to ME, the avid zombie movie-watcher and fan of Max Brooks.

Deylin

Oct 22, 2010
I don't watch much T.V. but THIS was awesome. I'm hooked and can't wait for the next episode. I wanna read the comics now.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Egh. I only have freeview. Guess I'm gonna have to shell out for the DVD on this...

(Do people outside the UK have freeview? Is this even a word outside the UK? I've heard you only have 3 channels in the US you can get with "just a tv", is this true? On this note I actually remeber watching channel 5 the first day it was ever broadcast, what fun! An interesting question nonetheless. Apologies in advance in I derail the thread somewhat with this question...)

Fun Fact: The movie "Zombieland" was originally intended to be a TV serial. Not only this, but it's original premise was that zombies had appeared in movies, books and vidja games, but not a TV serial.

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
Son of a *****. I missed the premiere. Crap, I'll have to wait for a re run or watch it at amc.com if it's on there.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
It's being broadcasted on FOX here and I hate them with a burning passion. The show was 90 minutes, right?
I saw it online, but it was just an hour. What was cut?

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
The first episode was great. It wasn't staggeringly great, or super innovative, but it was just good. The characters are already strong and interesting, and the plot albeit overused, still feels fresh and original somehow. The makeup and effects work is incredible, especially considering this is a network show. Simply good.

However, there is no way they could get that 5 million viewer mark again. It premiered on Halloween. What else was there to watch, honestly? Watch the marathons of "Halloween" and "Friday the 13th".. eh. I would be really surprised if they keep the ratings high. Hopefully they don't freak out when they drop a couple million or more, and decide to axe out the future seasons. Who knows though, it very well could stay as popular.

I just know I have all episodes set to record on schedule, yippee.

solec216

Nov 11, 2009
from the previews looks like a damn good show neva read the comic but i heard bout it. i like most* zombie related shows. missed the 1ep but i'll catch the repeat on my dvr

Jsnoopy

Nov 20, 2008
Huzaaaaaaaaaaahhh!!!!! I enjoyed the first episode, though I was a bit disappointed that the show wandered from the comic a bit in the episode, but by the end I rather liked it and think it will be better in the long run. The only other thing that bothered me was the intro credits. Someone needs to use the almighty power of the internet petition (lol) to get the fan made intro put in. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phLVlvMKVi8) It's fantastic.