AMD announces first Radeon RX 7000 series gpus

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
So yeah, first info on AMDs new line of RDNA3 gpus is out there. Two cards announced, the RX 7900 XTX and RX 7900 XT.
Like Nvidia they're starting out with the top end only, and prices are likewise up there (tho not quite as up there as Nvidia's)

Reactions: gorfias

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
So neither the prices nor the power requirements are as jaw-droppingly ridiculous as nVidia's offerings, but the pricing between the two models seems a little off.
Good to see they kept the power requirements as low as they did.

As for the odd price diff... well, kind of makes it obvious which one AMD wants you to buy.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Some reactions from notable tech channels

Oh, and a hands-on

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Yeah, all I had to hear about was the 600 watt 4090 melting power cords and I'm thinking my next build has to be power efficient. My Ryzen 1700 with RX 480 in my cold house, in my 10x10 office still makes it warm in here. Wonder how that 300 watts compares to the consumption in my current card as I forget what that is. Reviewing.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Yeah, all I had to hear about was the 600 watt 4090 melting power cords and I'm thinking my next build has to be power efficient. My Ryzen 1700 with RX 480 in my cold house, in my 10x10 office still makes it warm in here. Wonder how that 300 watts compares to the consumption in my current card as I forget what that is. Reviewing.
RX 480? Something like 125w TDP, tho in practice it's more like 150-160w

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
This looks like it could be good news for just about everyone who isn't part of the "All The Power, Fuck The Cost" crowd. So far, anyway. Hard to say with only the flagship cards announced and they won't be going head-to-head in the wild until mid-December.

Gonna be interesting to see what both companies do with their 2nd tier and mid-range card offerings.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
This looks like it could be good news for just about everyone who isn't part of the "All The Power, Fuck The Cost" crowd. So far, anyway. Hard to say with only the flagship cards announced and they won't be going head-to-head in the wild until mid-December.

Gonna be interesting to see what both companies do with their 2nd tier and mid-range card offerings.
How much extra you figure the Australia tax is gonna put on these bad boys?

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
How much extra you figure the Australia tax is gonna put on these bad boys?
Too much for my rule until I save up for a new car.

For a general guess I stick with the guide of "double the US price and then add another 10% on just because' as it seems to give a reasonably accurate figure to work from with PC hardware. So that means around AU$2200 as an average guesstimate price for a reference model 7900XTX, with the usual variations for brand and/or added flashy shit. That would also bring it roughly into line with being 2/3 the price of a 4090.

BIG caveat is that the dollarydoo is trading at 1:0.63 against the greenback so fuck only know what that will do to the pricings.

Honestly, if I had the cash and a better car I'd snatch up one of the few remaining 3090s going at a touch under AU$2k.

Reactions: Gordon_4

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
I watched a bunch of videos on these things and I'm actually kind of stoked. Finding out Intel can't help me with the resizable bar thing kind of sucked, but if AMD can get me something a bit better than a 3060 at roughly the same price I might just go for it.

Honestly from a social aspect, AMD and Intel aren't perfect but I'm unimpressed with Nvidia enough to not really want to support them anyway right now.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
The Internet is pretty excited about the new AMD card.

Example:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
More reviews
The Internet is pretty excited about the new AMD card.
But is it because the AMD cards are good, or because competition dropped the ball so hard? Or my favorite, bit of both.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
More reviews
But is it because the AMD cards are good, or because competition dropped the ball so hard? Or my favorite, bit of both.
My next build will focus on speed, cost and watt consumption. When I hear about the 4090 melting power supply cables!?!?!? Yeah, I'll take 60 FPS over 66 FPS if it means I don't burn my house down! And maybe saves me $300 or so.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I listened to a few reviews while I was working today, and I think Hardware Unboxed was practically alone in primarily comparing the 7900s to previous AMD cards rather than putting them up against the 4000s (though they did that too). Both valid paths to take, really.

The people who were thinking that the XTX was somehow going to outperform the 4090 were huffing something potent, for sure, especially anyone who thought it was going to be a raytracing monster.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
I heard some love for the old HD3870... I fucking loved those. Ran a pair in crossfire that cost me less than a single 8800GTX would have.

*ahem*

Anyway, except for the people who can justify ponying up for a 4090, this has really made things interesting and *if* the performance/price points scale it could get very messy for nVidia. Will nVidia pull their heads out their arses or will they catch a righteous bollocking? Also, what's with GPU cards costing more than a fucking new game console, you twunts?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Also, what's with GPU cards costing more than a fucking new game console, you twunts?
Console makers have a few advantages regular consumers don't have. For one, they're big corporations who can negotiate favourable pricing through bulk purchases, which will become cheaper as the tech ages. They also tend to sell hardware at a loss, compensating with software sales, whereas Nvidia/AMD and the companies manufacturing their designs have to turn a profit.

However, in this case they are price gouging because they're confident they can.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Also, what's with GPU cards costing more than a fucking new game console, you twunts?
I keep getting told that nVidia is executing some master plan to get 30-series cards out of warehouses by pushing the 40-series prices so high that people buy up the older cards instead. Well, if so, that's backfired, because now 30-series cards have also gotten ridiculously expensive due to demand.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
I keep getting told that nVidia is executing some master plan to get 30-series cards out of warehouses by pushing the 40-series prices so high that people buy up the older cards instead. Well, if so, that's backfired, because now 30-series cards have also gotten ridiculously expensive due to demand.
Pfffffffffftahahahaha... No. Just... no. nVidia wouldn't give a flying fuck about the 3rd party card manufacturers having excess inventory.

It's just more corporate greed.

Same shit, different day.