AMD announces first Radeon RX 7000 series gpus

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I heard some love for the old HD3870... I fucking loved those. Ran a pair in crossfire that cost me less than a single 8800GTX would have.

*ahem*

Anyway, except for the people who can justify ponying up for a 4090, this has really made things interesting and *if* the performance/price points scale it could get very messy for nVidia. Will nVidia pull their heads out their arses or will they catch a righteous bollocking? Also, what's with GPU cards costing more than a fucking new game console, you twunts?
Except AMD has - fairly or not - one fairly consistent big bear that keeps people loyal to Team Green.

Their drivers have a reputation for being dog shit on cheesy biscuits.

It’s hit and miss; my Radeon 9000 I rate as one of the worst GPUs I have ever owned. Yet my HD6970 was so fucking good it was passed around my family until it died from almost constant use from bought new in 2010. And it died, in I want to say June this year. It’s drivers were as reliable as nVidia’s for it entire run.

Although given nVidia’s fuckery, I do think that people will risk the probably minor instability of AMD drivers to prove a point to them.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Except AMD has - fairly or not - one fairly consistent big bear that keeps people loyal to Team Green.

Their drivers have a reputation for being dog shit on cheesy biscuits.
The actual drivers are... yeah, desperately average. It's everything else they pack in around the drivers that suck the hairiest of old man scrotum. I need to go back to just using the driver and reinstalling MSI afterburner for the rest.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
pccasegear have the 7900 XTX pricing around $1800 (and all sold out, natch)... That a few hundred less than I predicted and pretty fucking impressive, tbh.
Not bad. Allowing for that to be the ceiling for the top trim like ROG STRIX, and you could conceivably get like a Galax or equivalent for closer to 1600 or so.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Not bad. Allowing for that to be the ceiling for the top trim like ROG STRIX, and you could conceivably get like a Galax or equivalent for closer to 1600 or so.
Powercolor Red Devil OC was closer to $2k, so I'd expect STRIX and the like to sit around there. This was garden variety Asus, Gigabyte(ptooey!) Powercolor and Sapphire going for $1789.

7900XTs are going for around $1620, same range of manufacturers.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Powercolor Red Devil OC was closer to $2k, so I'd expect STRIX and the like to sit around there. This was garden variety Asus, Gigabyte(ptooey!) Powercolor and Sapphire going for $1789.

7900XTs are going for around $1620, same range of manufacturers.
Almost a shame I got a 3080. Almost.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
This entire generation is a bust. No reason to upgrade to any of these cards unless what you're currently running is dead. Just wait for the next series and hope they're better.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
This entire generation is a bust. No reason to upgrade to any of these cards unless what you're currently running is dead. Just wait for the next series and hope they're better.
Tech-wise they're not too bad, especially the high end cards... but the money they want for them? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Fucking madness.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Tech-wise they're not too bad, especially the high end cards... but the money they want for them? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Fucking madness.
A 10% performance uplift at a 50% higher cost than the previous generation isn't exactly a great value proposition.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
I ended up getting a Rx 6600 on clearance for about 250 CAD. The 7600 would have been the same price as the 6600 if not for the clearance sale but I just kind of sat back and decided I don't care. I'd like a fancy high end system, but the fact is I've been running a 1060 3gb since it released more than 5 years ago and it was legitimately quite rare that I actually had to meddle with settings or cared when I couldn't see perfect beautiful reflections.

I've never used an AMD card before so I'm a little concerned about how things will shake out long term but everything I've seen out of Nvidia lately between the 4060/TI implies to me that they're not super worried about consumer GPUs these days. I'm sure they won't bail but I'm also not sure their drivers for non ai applications will maintain their quality.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
You'll get used to fiddling with the fan settings. AMD seem convinced that you'd rather have your PC burst into flames than hear the fans.
Yeah I've been noticing that. I assumed since its a three fan model this wouldn't be as much of a problem, but it seems to be set up to just let the card hit max temp and then blast everything to maximum until it eases back to a reasonable temp. What the fans do at that stage is left to chance.

The software isn't filling me with confidence either - it wants me to optimize my Terraria graphics settings so that I get 60 fps steady instead of dipping to the soul crunching depths of 57.2 fps, which is apparently marginal. I don't know why Terraria of all things would be having fps issues, but I also have no idea what its referencing. The game itself says its all fine.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Yeah I've been noticing that. I assumed since its a three fan model this wouldn't be as much of a problem, but it seems to be set up to just let the card hit max temp and then blast everything to maximum until it eases back to a reasonable temp. What the fans do at that stage is left to chance.

The software isn't filling me with confidence either - it wants me to optimize my Terraria graphics settings so that I get 60 fps steady instead of dipping to the soul crunching depths of 57.2 fps, which is apparently marginal. I don't know why Terraria of all things would be having fps issues, but I also have no idea what its referencing. The game itself says its all fine.

If it really starts shitting you uninstall the Adrenaline control suite, hunt for the driver only download and then go download MSI Afterburner to use as card control software.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Hardware Unboxed has a take on the AMD exclusivity kerfluffle with Starbound, and I do see where they're coming from.

PC gamers who look down their noses at the console wars had better prove themselves to not be hypocrites and start protesting this kind of thing. It's good for nobody except corporations.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Hardware Unboxed has a take on the AMD exclusivity kerfluffle with Starbound, and I do see where they're coming from.

PC gamers who look down their noses at the console wars had better prove themselves to not be hypocrites and start protesting this kind of thing. It's good for nobody except corporations.
Reminds me of the early days of graphics cards, when each company had its own graphics api, and some games might not run at all if they required features your card didn't support because they were exclusive to 3dfx or whatever. Good times.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Hm, maybe i can get a good advice here: So a few months back my GTX 1070 TI (Which i paid WAY too much money for) decided it didn't need to live as long as requested and appropriate for the price.

So i am now running on a NVIDIA 960 i took from work, but it can't really supply my Oculus Rift and i had to cut back on quality. So i am getting to the point: Would like to get me a new one - i mean i mostly play graphically undemanding games - but who knows? (And i had to reduce back Mount & Blade for example.)

Now politicly: NVIDIA are greedy assholes, AMD are shady.
Do i get myself an
AMD Radeon 6650 XT 8GB for ~250 € (Older, good price)
AMD Radeon 7600 8GB for ~270 €(Newer shit runs better - Apparently good with raytracing but underwhelming every other aspect)
An Intel Arc 770 8 GB for ~300 € (apparently not as good, but nice techniques/architecture, i can't take advantage of with my older PC but rewarding the "third option"... even if it is Intel?)

Technically too expensive:
AMD Radeon 6700 12 GB for 350 € (Maybe a bit better for future? Possible for maybe upgrading my Monitor and leaving Full HD for higher resolutions sometimes?)
Nvidia 4060 8GB for 400 € (Should have more VRAM - or way less price)

Can't decide... because everything is shit. Usually i buy 2nd/3rd best after it gets price-reduced and another "generation" becomes available every 4/5 years and fit all parts together. But now i would like to have either a cheaper 6700 with "the good" V-Ram architecture and 12/16 GB RAM. Or a 4070 TI for 1/2 the price or something.

Machine is an
Intel I7 6600
on an MSI X99 Raider Motherboard
4*4 GB Ram slotted. I thinking of filling it up to 8x4 GB
at the moment.

My greed and cynicism fight with my gaming lust... terrible

Overall: Yeah everything slows don. We have been nearing the physical limits since... 2011 or so. You can refine it. Have some nice technologies, shortcuts, maybe squeeze a nm in chips-gaps or a few watts power from somewhere, but it gets harder, slower. The corporations are clawing desperately around for profits with minimal innovations. (Do YOU KNOW YOU CAN USE "AI" with whatever we are building? Umm, +5% better "AI" and Etherium-Mining... that will be 1200 bucks, baby)

EDIT: Changed Price for 6700 from 450 to 350.

Last edited: