AMD Complains Former VP Stole Its Secrets

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
AMD Complains Former VP Stole Its Secrets

Chip maker AMD files suit against four ex-employees, alleging that they stole more than 100,000 files.

When four employees, including ex-VP in charge of strategic development Robert Feldstein, jumped ship to work at NVIDIA, no doubt their employer AMD wished them all the best, though possibly in a gritted-teeth sort of way. That was before AMD noticed that more than 100,000 proprietary files had been downloaded and extracted from AMD, allegedly by those same ex-employees, and taken to their new employer.

"The names of [the 100,000+] identified and transferred files," AMD alleges in its lawsuit [http://www.scribd.com/doc/120535155/AMD-lawsuit], "match identically or very closely to the names of files on their AMD systems that include obviously confidential, proprietary and/or trade secret materials relating to developing technology and/or highly confidential business strategy ... AMD must take action to stop this conduct, which could unfairly affect the market place in a fast-paced, ultra-competitive, and highly-sophisticated technical industry."

A restraining order [http://www.scribd.com/doc/120535412/AMD-restraining-order] has since been slapped on the AMD four, in an effort to prevent them from destroying the evidence, and from trying to tempt other AMD employees to a new home. Some of the four have also been accused of breach of contract, in that they agreed, when they signed up with AMD, not to try to solicit employees to leave AMD within two years of the termination of their employment.

Among other relief, AMD seeks compensation, the actual amount of which is to be decided at trial.

Source: Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/01/amd-accuses-former-top-employees-of-stealing-over-100000-documents/]

UnderCoverGuest

May 24, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Sounds like these employees had a chip on their shoulders.
Really had to RAM that joke in there, didn't you? Hehehe...

Anywho, kinda agree, but also don't know if I care...I mean, it's wrong to steal, and if they violated their contract then the blame is still on them...but I don't really know how this'll affect me or anyone who doesn't work for NVIDIA's hiring department or AMD's security.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
I think this is about the PROCESS of leaving and what VISION an employee has for their future...

It is wrong to take from the old place, it isn't like they alone made the 100000 files. If it was all totally their work, I may have a different opinion on it, but it probably isn't.

Gammayun

Aug 23, 2011
It's understandable that AMD don't want there secrets getting out, like that rumour got out that they apparently got fingered behind the bike sheds by Microsoft.

Desworks

Nov 18, 2009
marurder said:
It is wrong to take from the old place, it isn't like they alone made the 100000 files. If it was all totally their work, I may have a different opinion on it, but it probably isn't.
Even if they had made all of the files themselves, if they had done it while working for AMD then they can't take the files with them. AMD paid them to make the files, the files are AMD's.

It's not like they made the files in their spare time while working with AMD. Making those files is exactly what they would have been paid to do.

darkszero

Apr 1, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
If it was that sophisticated, they would have found a way to cover their tracks.
These files should be stored in a central server that restricts access to then by the users permission. Also, every access to the files is logged. And erasing the logs is an action only a few very important persons should be able to do.
Basically, you can't cover your tracks here, unless the system is idiotic (like a big windows network share)

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
darkszero said:
DVS BSTrD said:
If it was that sophisticated, they would have found a way to cover their tracks.
These files should be stored in a central server that restricts access to then by the users permission. Also, every access to the files is logged. And erasing the logs is an action only a few very important persons should be able to do.
Basically, you can't cover your tracks here, unless the system is idiotic (like a big windows network share)
Former VP

Very important person indeed.

I'm reminded of Slugworth(Intel) trying to get the kids to divulge Wonka's secrets.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
darkszero said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Some one like, I don't know, the VP?
Seriously though if you can't erase the record, then why bother?
Other companies are willing to pay with huge bonus for those files. Sometimes people get a little greedy and take the risk.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Yeah it's a big risk to take when you thieve computer files from a company that probably has more people that know how to hack than a TB ward.

Even if they mostly covered their tracks, it's only so long til they will get caught.

In small business i've worked for, that aren't even in any sort of PC related field, when a person leaves, their logs and everything off their workstations are gone through with a fine tooth comb, just to make sure something like this hasn't happened. I can only imagine the rigor in which AMD or like companies would have with this process.

Silly little people, why would you steal from AMD to give to NVIDEA. Isn't that kind of like stealing from a 14year old science student to give their paper to Stephen Hawking?

hehe. heh. hehehe. heh.

wow... i read capcha initially as "too many cocks"... it's cooks. That isn't so bad lol