AMD Ryzen Zen 3 5000 series cpus announced. Available november 5th.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

AMD Ryzen™ 9 5950X
# of CPU Cores - 16
# of Threads - 32
Max Boost Clock - Up to 4.9GHz
Base Clock - 3.4GHz
Thermal Solution (PIB) - Not included
Default TDP / TDP - 105W

AMD Ryzen™ 9 5900X
# of CPU Cores - 12
# of Threads - 24
Max Boost Clock - Up to 4.8GHz
Base Clock - 3.7GHz
Default TDP / TDP - 105W

AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800X
# of CPU Cores - 8
# of Threads - 16
Max Boost Clock - Up to 4.7GHz
Base Clock - 3.8GHz
Default TDP / TDP - 105W

AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600X
# of CPU Cores - 6
# of Threads - 12
Max Boost Clock - Up to 4.6GHz
Base Clock - 3.7GHz
Thermal Solution (PIB) - Wraith Stealth
Default TDP / TDP - 65W

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
One thing to note is that if you are currently rocking a B550 or X570 motherboard you can upgrade to Zen 3, but you'll need to flash your bios, because the current version on those boards does not support these new processors. This is also something you'll need to keep in mind if you are planning a new build from the ground up i.e. make sure you buy a mobo that is Zen 3 ready out of the box, or one that can be flashed without a cpu via usb.

That's only really relevant if you're upgrading soon tho. Both ASUS and MSI have already revealed new mobo revisions that will be compatible, the rest will no doubt follow suit, so this potential issue will be gone come next year.

Also worth mentioning is that AMD will be unveiling their new RDNA2 line of gpu's late this month

Reactions: gorfias

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
You've got # of CPU Cores listed twice for several of them; I'm guessing the larger number include virtual cores?
That's a whoopsy on my part. Since all the links are basically the same, I thought I'd make it easy on myself by just copy and pasting them and changing the relevant digits. But seems I copied more than intended.

The lower number of # of CPU Cores is the only one.

Forum's being weird about letting me fix it tho. I'll figure that out later.

EDIT: never mind, unfucked it.

Last edited:

Redlin5

Redlin Guard
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
The North
Country
Canadia
Funny Birthday present, Intel getting socked in the face...

I'll consider upgrading to a 5000 series at some point, my B450 Tomahawk Max allegedly will take a BIOS update for it and I can always throw my 3600x into another rig.

Reactions: gorfias

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
So apparently the cheapest, 5600X beats the 10900K in gaming performance.

Ouch.

I'll consider upgrading to a 5000 series at some point, my B450 Tomahawk Max allegedly will take a BIOS update for it and I can always throw my 3600x into another rig.
Lol, I was literally thinking the same thing. I have the same board and CPU. Not sure if the performance boost is worth the upgrade price though. It'll depend on what I can get for my 3600X which probably won't be much.

Redlin5

Redlin Guard
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
The North
Country
Canadia
Lol, I was literally thinking the same thing. I have the same board and CPU. Not sure if the performance boost is worth the upgrade price though. It'll depend on what I can get for my 3600X which probably won't be much.
Yeah, I don't want to deal with the hassle of being a hardware seller in this market so I figure I might as well rig a computer around the components I've got slated for upgrades anyway. With B550's and the new CPUs being the new hotness, its a good time to think about slapping together a second computer with decent specs on the cheap.

Very glad I took the time to not blindly buy Intel this time. Mind you, the last time I built a PC was in 2011 so it was very different.