American Ambassador Lectures Aussies On Game of Thrones Theft

SirDeadly

Feb 22, 2009
Over here in Australia it is really expensive if you want to watch Game of Thrones legally, that's why piracy rates are so high. You may now be able to buy episodes through iTunes but no one even knows that you can and that really shouldn't be our go to thing for watching tv...

Here are some pictures showing the costs of Foxtel down here. The get started package is required and if you're like me, you're going to get the sports channel because watching AFL on free-to-air is so stupid...
[http://s493.photobucket.com/user/SirDeadly/media/fox1.png.html]
Game of Thrones is shown on the Showcase channel, it the entertainment package that is another $25
[http://s493.photobucket.com/user/SirDeadly/media/fox2.png.html]
Now all of these prices don't include the requirement of getting the actual Foxtel box thingo, these are on Tbox where you can get Foxtel straight through that, similar to the Xbox.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Do you have a streaming service that i can buy? no? then shut up. not evenryone wants to use the arcaic model of paying enrmous amounts of money for a bunch of channels they are never going to watch to get one channel for 1 hour per week.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
Seeing as you can only get HBO if you're subscribed to some form of cable TV and I don't even have a TV in the first place... If HBO wanted my money they'd make it possible for me to get their online streaming service independently of a TV subscription. Like the point raised by Gabe Newell: If you want to cut down on piracy, make buying it more convenient.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
If TV networks don't want to be pirated across the globe then they'd better start thinking on a global level. Create an online version, get it working internationally, put episodes up as soon as/immediately after they're airing/they've aired. Stick some ads in front of the video.

In other words: stop fucking about.

kingmob

Jan 20, 2010
RandV80 said:
Irridium said:
So... is Game of Thrones offered only through cable providers, or are there streaming services available there? Are there DVD's available for purchase? Are they priced reasonably or do they jack up the price to absurd amounts like with video games?

Just like to get some context. Because if the only way to watch Game of Thrones in Australia is to sign up with a cable service (that might suck, or not. No idea, feel free to tell me if they do/don't) and catch it when it's on and nowhere else... then know shit they pirate it a lot.
HBO is kind of between a rock and a hard place here. They make their money through subscriptions, which ties them directly to the cable companies. To make their shows available digitally would harm their partnership with cable, and all the market research they've done suggests it would be a significant net loss to do so.

So while it isn't exactly the same it has a lot in common with a console maker looking to go with entirely digital sales. The benefits just aren't high enough to abandon retail sales yet.
You are of course right, but it just isn't the customer's problem. There's a large disconnect between what customers expect and how companies are structured right now, but blaming the customer is always the wrong approach if you want to make money.
Right now HBO still makes enough from its cable subscriptions, but the ongoing shift to streaming/downloading is hard to deny, which is why they have HBO-GO of course. I imagine that HBO does very well in America, but once those numbers start dropping, they'll switch to some online model quickly.

kingmob

Jan 20, 2010
smashleigh said:
To everyone saying that its not available in Australia, at a reasonable price, at a reasonable time, without subscription to pay tv you wouldn't use:
$3 per episode for the sd slightly more for the HD (which for comparison is less than half what even a student would pay for a movie ticket)
Day after the US

https://itunes.apple.com/au/tv-season/game-of-thrones-season-3/id611198334?showLC=true
Hmm, is this new this season? That's a pretty good move (although I dislike iTunes). Pay more for HD is a silly move though. I imagine this still comes with DRM bullshit instead of just a good mkv download?

Well, at least we're getting closer ;) I dream of the day where I can access my legal media in a steam-like manner on my HTPC, that would actually be a better service than the pirates can hope to offer...

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
You know, I actually have HBO, and I can go watch it whenever I want. I still acquire it from friends anyway.

It's more convenient.

Derrrr.

Edit: Or can I? I think you can watch it on their site, but I've never cared to try...