American Humour is Terrible

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
One show to prove you wrong is easy

CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM.

hard to believe the shows that funny when the dude wrote the awful (IMO) Seinfeld

t3h br0th3r

May 7, 2009
Dr Red said:
I like South Park (I know it's Canadian) for it's witty commentary of current affairs. It actually takes issues of the day and makes some good jokes at them. Family Guy is just ok - I wouldn't watch it often, but it can be funny. The kind of American humour I really don't like is shows like the Big Bang Theory. Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmLQaTcViOA

It just isn't funny. Not because it isn't my sense of humour, but there is no intelligence to the jokes involved. America has scrounged genuinely good British TV series such as Shameless and The Office, and ruined them in an effort to bring them to the American market.

My point is American humour is unintelligent and boring to watch. It is juvenile, and I find it actually almost painful to see shows like Two and a Half Men doing well when they are so full of utter crap.
I watched the British version of the office. And it sucks. its like Dilbert meets King of the Hill with a sever concussion.

And to be honest, most british comedy shows tend to suck imo. Dr. Who has some funny moments but thats about it.

GazDM

Apr 19, 2011
Rawne1980 said:
But being British I don't care because we have Blackadder, Red Dwarf, 2 Pints of Lager (but not the new series) and Monty Python (as you'll probably note those are all old shows mainly due to nothing much coming out recently in the funny department).

See, it doesn't matter which country you live in we all have to put up with crap comedy as well as the good.
First 2 Pints is absolute shit. Second, there's plenty of good recent comedy, I'd count the Thick of It, IT crowd, Peep Show, anything by Charlie Brooker, QI and Stewart Lee's comedy vehicle. Sure it's not exactly the golden age of the 90s (my opinion - most would probably call the 70s or the 80s the golden age of British comedy) but there's still plenty of examples of what makes British comedy great.

The_Emperor said:
OK
Mitch Hedberg
Doug Stanhope
Bill Hicks
Daniel Tosh
George Carlin
Russel Peters
Pablo Francisco
Louis CK
Modern Family
House (not comedy but it's funny)
Scrubs
Southpark which is american, matt and trey are from colorado.
Chris Rock
Simpsons
Futurama
Family Guy
American Dad
The Daily Show
The Colbert Report
Saturday Night Live
Flight of the Conchords
Metalocalypse
The Venture Brothers.

You really suck at threads and comedy.
I really dislike The Daily Show and The Colbert Report, probably just a difference in British and American satire. HBO's Flight of the Conchords is based on BBC radio's Flight of the Conchords (not sure what point I'm trying to make here, guess I'm just saying), I HATE Family Guy.

Not really trying to rebuke your point, I also disagree with the original poster, I just dislike American remakes of British shows (people should be encouraged to watch the original versions) and there is also A LOT of really generic mainstream shows, but there are certainly Gems out there which are a good defense of American humour. Maybe there is just a fundamental difference in our humour that creates a barrier, not that any country's humour is necessarily bad.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is hilarious, the Daily Show and Colbert Report, the Simpsons, Futurama...the point is that there are many good American comedy shows, Britain is worse at being funny. They may have created Metal, but their humour is just too dry. I love Monty Python and the Holy Grail though.

Spongebobdickpants

Oct 6, 2009
The Inbetweeners - Hilarious immature "unintellegent" british humor

South Park - Hilarious "Intellegent" US humor

Your argument is invalid

Iklwa

Jan 27, 2010
All I have to say is thus: One, since when is South Park Canadian? It features Canada quite a bit, but I'm pretty sure its American...And two, then don't watch it. I find a lot of British comedy boring, so I don't watch it. I love Monty Python though. Anyhow, point is, funny is subjective; to each his own. so quit your bitching.

Mercsenary

Oct 19, 2008
Dr Red said:
I like South Park (I know it's Canadian) for it's witty commentary of current affairs. It actually takes issues of the day and makes some good jokes at them. Family Guy is just ok - I wouldn't watch it often, but it can be funny. The kind of American humour I really don't like is shows like the Big Bang Theory. Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmLQaTcViOA

It just isn't funny. Not because it isn't my sense of humour, but there is no intelligence to the jokes involved. America has scrounged genuinely good British TV series such as Shameless and The Office, and ruined them in an effort to bring them to the American market.

My point is American humour is unintelligent and boring to watch. It is juvenile, and I find it actually almost painful to see shows like Two and a Half Men doing well when they are so full of utter crap.
So your example of poor American humor is a video clip of a show without a laugh track. Never mind that those shows are written around a laugh track.

Riiiight.

How about you... dont watch it?

So you think that when an American company buys rights to a British humor show they should in fact do nothing to change it because hey everyone likes the same thing right?

No one ever claimed that Two and a Half Men was the pinnacle of American humor. It's like sifting through shit and complaining that how come you arent finding diamonds in this pile of shit

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
Dr Red said:

LOOOOOOOLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
British humour is the worst.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9LLZJFBWdc
Laugh track is included to tell you when there's a joke.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I'm going to say an opinion is an opinion, but I will say I never personally cared for he British office, and it always just seemd like background buzzing for an hour and fifteen minutes. not that I found bing bang theory much better.

also, you shouldnt generalize. there's quite a good bit of American Humor. The Whitest Kids U Know are the next Monty Python, and tehy're American, and hilarious!

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
You do realize there are different types of humor, whether you categorize them all into one stereotype or not. In other words, there are different types of "American" humor. And you're examples were the shitty ones.

I don't consider all Canadian humor to be entirely based off fart jokes.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
Dr Red said:

National Generalizations Based On a Handful of Things You Don't Like are Fucking Idiotic

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Did the joke make you laugh? Its good comedy. Depth and intelligence is not a must for jokes. Anyone who thinks as such is just a snobby douche who misses the entire point of humor. I dont care if it is a brilliant and intelligence joke about the president, or a fart joke. All I need is to laugh to enjoy it.
But thanks for giving off that snobbish brit stereotype.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I don't like The Benny Hill Show. I think its humor is juvenile. Therefore, I think all British humor is juvenile, not funny, and a waste of time.

Look, everyone! I can make massive generalizations based on a tiny, non-representative sample size too!

kcjerith

Jan 10, 2011
Wow, I didn't think an obvious troll thread would get so many replies. Congrats sir!

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
For a second there the OP almost made me hate British people. Then I realized that I can't think all British people are lack-witted simpletons just because one is.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Two of my favorite shows are American comedy shows. Scrubs and How I Met Your Mother. That's funny. And who says that all humor needs to be 'intelligent'? That everything must be a clever remark on serious things? Can't humor be silly?