American Humour is Terrible

scott91575

Jun 8, 2009
k-ossuburb said:
Okay, some American comedy shows are good, however I would point out that not a lot of them seem to take very many risks and the ones that do are often ones that the BBC or Channel 4 sold to them.

When I say "risk" I mean tackling on dark humour or exploring sensitive subjects.

South Park and Family Guy seem to do this pretty well, but other than that there aren't a lot of others that try to take on this level of dark humour.
Check out Adult Swim on Cartoon Network (not sure if you get that) if you want dark, offensive comedy. Plus there is Archer, Weeds, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Louie, and even though it's technically a drama Breaking Bad has it's dark comedy moments (as with Dexter). Those are just off the top of my head to go along with others mentioned like South Park.

You can even go further back to older shows like MASH, All in the Family, Titus, older Simpsons episodes, Arrested Development, etc. The list is pretty long.

Locko96

Jan 18, 2010
Dr Red said:
voetballeeuw said:
Other people like American humor. It's called an opinion. You're not right, and neither are they.
My point is that the jokes involved are less intelligent than those in British shows. Go watch Peep Show. That is genius. Compare it to any widely viewed American comedy show. I'm not arguing which is subjectively better, I'm arguing that British comedy is more intelligent. Please read my post and understand it before replying.
You know you're still stating opinions, right?

OT: To me, the funny stuff comes from anywhere. I have watched Peep Show. It was funny, but it's not like it was a strenuous activity for my brain. Doesn't matter though. Why? Because it was funny. I've definitely seen examples of good American humor, like Arrested Development, Dazed and Confused, American "The Office", etc. Likewise, I've seen good British humor (Monty Python, British "The Office", Spaced). Doesn't really matter what humor is "highbrow". As long as it's funny.

Instinct Blues

Jun 8, 2008
Dr Red said:
My point is American humour is unintelligent and boring to watch. It is juvenile, and I find it actually almost painful to see shows like Two and a Half Men doing well when they are so full of utter crap.
American humour isn't unintelligent and boring to watch I think you've mistaken you're opinion for fact in this case. Theres plenty of clever and intelligent American comedians and comedy shows. For example George Carlin, Demetri Martin, Daniel Tosh, and Bo Burnham to name a few. We also have a number of intelligent television shows such as The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Arrested Development, and many others.

I think there are key differences between what Brits and Americans find funny because there are differences between the types of jokes told. The British tend to be more subtle and underplay everything because they are known for dry humour. While Americans are more loud and in your face when they are telling jokes because they know they're putting on an act to entertain people.

Its not the American humour is unintelligent and boring to watch, its just you don't like it. Don't go around stating your opinion as fact please it makes you seem arrogant and stupid.

AperioContra

Aug 4, 2011
Umm... I don't know how much I can really contribute as I do not have the free time to read the 222 posts at time of writing to properly insert myself into this conversation, but I don't believe that this is an issue of "intelligence". More-so this highlights a cultural difference. If you had caught me maybe 7 years ago, when my comedic tastes had yet matured, I would have pointed out that most British humor is simply goofy and off the wall. To this day there is over 150 hours of Monty Python that remains completely inaccessible to me. Is this answer that British humor isn't mature enough for my refined tastes?

The answer is a resigned "No." The problem I have with a lot of British humor is that I can't grasp exactly what their talking about because there is a culture gap between the humor and me. I think, in the same way, the problem isn't a lack of intelligence in our humor, simply a lack of cultural context when viewing it as an outsider. In America we prefer the clever, the satirical, and the absurd over intellectual humor, not to say that the intellectualism is not there, it simply exists under the contexts.

If you want a good example of funny American humor, maybe you should try listening to George Carlin, Lenny Bruce, Sam Kinison, Lewis Black, outside of standup, look on the internet, you're sure to find something of your liking.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
Many people (not just Americans) find British comedies completely unfunny. Not even remotely funny. I won't say I am one of those (I really have no experience with the issue), but the point is people have different tastes, and culture shapes what people like and dislike. I like Two and a Half Men. I said it! It's damn funny sometimes. I like South Park and Futurama a hell of a lot more, but still. It's an opinion. Get over it. You're not right, and neither is what I find funny. Why the hell do you think Japanese comedy exists? Those comedy shows they have... I can't even begin to understand how they find that funny. But they must, or they wouldn't be doing them.

Also, this isn't even really a discussion, is it? At least not based on the topic post. It's more of a rant. Well, at least 7 pages in shows that it's developed into something (probably more rants...).

IDTheftVictim

Jan 20, 2011
I thought our humor was diverse enough that we couldn't just cover it all in one word. You named two shows which I'm guessing are very similar, while I see multiple genres of humor for many different people.

ungothicdove

Nov 30, 2007
Are you having a laugh? OK, I'm American but I can see were you're coming from. A lot of my favorite comedy comes out of Britain be it movies or tv shows. (Spaced, Extras, The Office, Shaun of the Dead) But at the same time there are many comedies that come from the U.S. that I find quite fun as well. (Arrested Development, It's Always Sunny, Community and so forth) You're taking a few "comedies" that try to hit the lowest common denominator, because that's what will resonate with the most people, and attributing it to all American humor. Look, I hate Two and a Half Men too. I hate most sitcoms because the jokes are telegraphed three minutes before they're even told. Plus the laugh track makes me want to commit genocide. But just because these are the most popular doesn't mean we don't have anything else, just as I'm sure that you have your fair number of broad comedies across the pond.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
Just remembered Bo Burnham is an American. He's damn funny and full of intelligent (albeit dirty) humor. This just shows how subjective humor is. And how TV shows do not the epitome of humor make.

Olorune

Jan 16, 2009
There are people in America who will laugh at senseless jokes! Stop the fucking presses!!!/sarcasm

I feel you, but not all American humor is bad, if you can believe it. Look at shows such as Frisky Dingo, Harvey Birdman, and actually most of [adult swim]'s animated line-up (Most of their past shows and NONE of their god-awful live-action shows). You'll see brilliant writing and excellent plot development. South Park and Family Guy have become so terrible in the past years that it hurts to even watch them.

Robert Rath

Oct 8, 2010
Just a few things:

1) America should not produce "more" funny shows than Britain because it's a larger country. By that logic China, India, and Russia should be the world's greatest producers of comedy. (Having said that, I've seen many very funny Chinese and Indian films and would jump over the freakin' moon to see a Russian sitcom.) I will own that Chuck Lorre shows aren't very funny, but then again, I don't watch a lot of network TV.

2) I will agree that cultural difference plays a role. I generally love British comedy, and am a huge fan of the Pythons, P.G. Wodehouse, Blackadder, Doctor Who, Fry and Laurie, Coupling, Mitchell and Webb etc. but there's other things I just don't grok to, like The IT Crowd and The Young Ones (try and tell me The Young Ones is intelligent comedy, just try). I figure it's the same as certain Brits feel about American comedy.

Having said that, how can you say Americans don't produce funny things, since this country has spawned:

1) The Marx Brothers
2) The Simpsons
3) Mel Brooks
4) Tarantino
5) 30 Rock
6) This Is Spinal Tap
7) Woody Allen
8) Ghostbusters
9) It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (talk about taking risks and taking on dark subjects!)
10) King of the Hill (admittedly, it's a lot less funny if you've never been to Texas)
11) Curb Your Enthusiasm
12) The Daily Show and The Colbert Report
13) Classic Saturday Night Live
14) Warner Brothers Cartoons
15) George Carlin

As for Arrested Development "being cancelled because Americans are dumb," it ran for over 50 episodes. That's not unsuccessful-- getting cancelled after one season, that's unsuccessful.

Darzen

Aug 27, 2009
Comedy is subjective not objective. It may suck to you but to someone else it could be hilarious

Chaos James

Bastion of Debauchery
May 27, 2011
I don't know (though I imagine someone has) pointed out that South Park is an American show, I just don't feel like reading through seven pages because I was just going to drop my own opinion in, just in case anyone really cared what I thought.

I don't like South Park, it makes me cringe and I turn it off, I don't care for the show.

I like the Big Bang Theory. That and Phineas and Ferb are the only shows I actually pick up the remote and change the channel to. Otherwise I don't even bother with TV, I just let my girlfriend put on whatever.

It's all opinion, as people will point out, and in the end people will find something you don't like good and vice-versa.

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
Ironic Pirate said:
You know what's worse? Generalizations based on two widely hated shows (of the same shitty genre). Try harder.

In the mean time, I'll be watching Arrested Development, Monty Python, and the Chasers War on Everything, not giving a single fuck what country any of them came from. Because that's silly.
^this
not to mention, some of our comedians are brilliant. check out Dennis Leary or the late, great Greg Giraldo. I hate when people dump on the US based on generalizations.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Dr Red said:
I like South Park (I know it's Canadian) for it's witty commentary of current affairs. It actually takes issues of the day and makes some good jokes at them. Family Guy is just ok - I wouldn't watch it often, but it can be funny. The kind of American humour I really don't like is shows like the Big Bang Theory. Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmLQaTcViOA

It just isn't funny. Not because it isn't my sense of humour, but there is no intelligence to the jokes involved. America has scrounged genuinely good British TV series such as Shameless and The Office, and ruined them in an effort to bring them to the American market.

My point is American humour is unintelligent and boring to watch. It is juvenile, and I find it actually almost painful to see shows like Two and a Half Men doing well when they are so full of utter crap.
No no no...you missed it. It was a train and you, ah ha ha, did not mind the gap. What you have discovered is not that American humor sucks. You have discovered that many American SHOWS suck. Not the same thing.

Tufty94

Jul 31, 2011
EvilPicnic said:
But all British sitcoms aren't stellar either, I mean Two Pints of Lager was utter shite.
I couldn't agree more, but any BBC comedy of 2000 or later have all been utter shite.

Wintermute_

Sep 20, 2010
... um, no?

thats bullshit. You're basing the entirety of AMerican comedy on 2 shows that are barely popular and have minimal following? Plus, those are cheap money grubbing sitcoms that are made so broadcasters can fill time slots.

What British shows are just so freaking comical and amazing that they can trump EVERYTHING American?

Really, you used two examples for good and bad shows.

The only truly good british show I've watched would be MIsfits. Seriously, go watch that shit. Its so bad yet so freaking amazing.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
gmaverick019 said:
both Matt Groening and Stephen Colbert have Canadian roots (Matts Dad and Stephen's Grandma!)
That doesn't make them Canadian instead of American.

Neither of those people were born in Canada nor grew up there.

PS: Daniel Tosh may have been born in Germany but he grew up in Florida and is a naturalised American Citizen. He is as American as apple pie.