American McGee Working With PopCap on 3D Puzzle Remake

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
American McGee Working With PopCap on 3D Puzzle Remake

Do I see a dark, twisted re-imagining of Peggle on the horizon?

Having recently finished work on Alice: Madness Returns and landed a $3 million investment deal, American McGee (famed designer of Alice) and his development company Spicy Horse are looking to the future. With the announcement of a long-term deal with PopCap Games, that future could be filled with falling jewels, dancing sunflowers, and the Ode to Joy.

Once Madness Returns is released, Spicy Horse will turn to making 3D online games, starting by remaking one of PopCap's big franchises such as Peggle, Bejeweled, or Plants vs. Zombies. According to Mcgee, "It's free-to-play, it will launch initially in Asia, it's multiplayer, and it's microtransaction-driven."

Explaining the choice to remake the game in 3D, McGee said, "The sense is that while a lot of social games have built their empires on 2D, there will be a moment where the genre has to shift into 3D, and we want to start that process now." He also mentions that this transition to casual and social games is a long time coming. "The reason I originally came to China is that I wanted to get into that new model - I wanted to get away from console game production and retail, disc-based sales," he said, while calling his recent work on Alice: Madness Returns a "beautiful distraction."

With a recent influx of cash from a $3 million investment and a potential money-maker in the form of the to-be-released Madness Returns, Spicy Horse is looking to start focusing on what McGee says is "a two-year plan to bring multiple titles to market," and will aim to release a new title every six months.

Source: GamesIndustry.biz [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/34638/American_McGees_Spicy_Horse_Gets_3M_Funding_Signs_PopCap_Deal.php]

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
Like a porcupine without any quills, this has no point.

How the hell do you remake Peggle in "3D?" Why does it "have to shift into 3D?" Does this man even partially understand the casual game genre? I don't think so. Not that you can't make casual games in 3D but that means more than taking a 2D concept and they feeding it into a rendering engine because that is incredibly stupid. It's like how Sonic the Hedgehog works in 2D but not 3D. I hope he's actually smarter than he sounds here or this venture is going to fail.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
I don't think it was actually confirmed as being Peggle (granted, I'm not sure how that would work in 3D either) as the article just said "one of" PopCap's franchises.

Bah, it's late, so I can't bothered continuing with this post. But hey! Sonic hasn't always failed miserably in 3D! Sonic R was a fine little game, I thought.

ThirdPrize

May 14, 2009
Scott Bullock said:
there will be a moment where the genre has to shift into 3D, and we want to start that process now.
Like they had to do with Space Invaders and Pac Man.