American McGee's Alice: Madness Returns Brings the Crazy Back to Wonderland

LorChan

Jul 15, 2009
LaughingAtlas said:
Wha...? We already know how her family died!
They were revealed to have burned alive, were they not? The Jabberwocky scolded Alice in the first game for letting them die while she dreamed, Alice was quite aware of what happened, I think.
Are we going to have a mystery we already know the answer to, shouting it at the screen every time someone acts like the first game never happened?
Just curious, but why the spoiler tag? It's made pretty clear that they died in a fire in the opening cutscene of the first game, or if I'm wrong it was a trailer for the first game.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
A sticky note on my filecabinet told me to pre order it. But i cant really be sure WHO put it there.....

loved the movie reference

K_Dub

Oct 19, 2008
I'm pretty excited about this game. Lookin' like a really trippy, scary experience.

Neeko Masochist

Apr 11, 2008
Oh my god! They're really making a new one? I still have the original McGee's Alice. This will be absolutely wicked to add this to that old relic. :3

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
Think before getting excited. You can pop to the old game and see these same character and thematic designs... I know this is just a trailer, but isn't that as good a reason as any not to be blinded by shiny new things?

I'm been looking forward to this, too... but now I think about it, he's going to have to turn his creative brain inside-out to find actually new, refreshingly dark and interesting set pieces for this game. I'm not hopeful.

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
Although I love the updated look, something about her face is uglier than in earlier teaser trailers.

Sad Face.

DarkShadow144

Nov 16, 2010
I don't know about you people, but I seriously can't wait for what bullshit the media spins to make this like "the most evil game EVER!"

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Just one thing, McGee.

If the answer to the great "riddle" is that Alice herself is actually responsible for killing her family, I'm going to put the game disk through a wall.

bad_rug

Sep 21, 2009
hehe, i don't need to go out and find the first one, i've got it sitin right on my table :)

bad_rug

Sep 21, 2009
VondeVon said:
Although I love the updated look, something about her face is uglier than in earlier teaser trailers.

Sad Face.
i thought she was rather hot to be honest....

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Aeryn Seoung said:
The first one was one of the first games I ever played as a child. I really hope this is just as good and twisted as it's predecessor, if not even more so.
I hope you were a late bloomer into gaming. Otherwise, how are the therapy sessions going?

OT: I loved the original, but I'm hesitant to see it rebooted. After all, the original drew a pretty firm line under itself, not leaving a whole lot of room for a remake. A psych patient might relapse, of course, but I didn't get that impression from the ending.

Still, I'm cautiously excited. We're long overdue for something in this vein, and the canceling of the (albeit doomed-to-terribleness) movie based around the game only exacerbated the want.

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
I just hope that the sequel means that there will be a re-release of the original...

I passed it up when I was younger because I just didn't have the funds to buy every game that I wanted... I now HAVE funds to buy games like this but getting your hands on a copy of this game is very hard at this point.

D4rkLigh7

Feb 12, 2009
Never played the first one, but this one is a must have in my book. It just looks awesome.

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
lacktheknack said:
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! <link=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EyeScream>MY EYYYYES!

I feel the urge to track down the original and play it. Then get this one, and play it. Without my parents seeing.

Although maybe they won't mind. He had to fight to keep the blood splatter LOW? That's a first that I very much approve of.
oh man, i read this comment an hour ago. i have now come back to this post and it's 12:30 and i barely remember what i've been doing on the internet for the past hour. DO NOT LINK TO THAT SITE EVER

Umenrakh

Nov 3, 2006
Just look at that one eyed monstrosity! I have a riddle: "How is a tea pot like a shoggoth?"
This is going to be either awesome or horrible. I really hope it's the former.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
1) I get some SERIOUS uncanny valley with that Alice.
2) Despite having loved the tone of the earlier game, that trailer does not fill me with hope. The music is too cheerful (despite the sudden shift at the end) and the colours and models seem not to fit together well. I'm assuming it was intentional, to create a tension between the elements, but when you do that you want something to emerge from the tension. You don't just want something to be alternatingly creepy and cute, you want that special feeling you get when the two work together and against one another to create a wholly unique tone. This looks more like someone just glued together happy things and creepy things and hoped that the result happened to fall together well. That "cute creepy" aesthetic seems to me to be really difficult to nail down and the trailer doesn't really manage to evoke it for me.
3) As others have said: what? We already know how the fire started. He's either going to have to do some serious retconning or come up with a pretty silly story about how other actions "lead up to" the fire in a way that we didn't previously know about. Both options seem pretty likely to diminish the importance of the last game, which leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

Really, I think this was a beloved game best left alone. Maybe remade, but a sequel seems like a poor idea. I could also definitely see a spiritual sequel maybe dealing with another similar story in a similar way, just not a direct sequel.

FlipC

Dec 11, 2008
Now if they included an updated engine version of the first game with it.... whoo and hoo!