American McGee's Return of Alice Trailer Not Real

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
American McGee's Return of Alice Trailer Not Real

Remember that creepy stop-motion trailer for the sequel to American McGee's Alice that we saw earlier this week? Turns out it wasn't real.

In case you missed the slightly unsettling trailer from Monday, here it is [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95875-American-McGees-Return-of-Alice-Gets-Creepy-Stop-Motion-Trailer]. You may notice that in said news post, I questioned why American McGee had called the movie "unofficial," since the professional production values - and the fact that it was being featured on the game's official site - looked pretty darn official to me.

Well, looks like we have the answer: It's unofficial because neither American McGee nor the development studio Spicy Horse had anything to do with it. The official response from American McGee [http://www.americanmcgee.com/wordpress/2009/11/04/return-of-alice-video-madness/] is as follows:

[blockquote]Yesterday, a few sites picked up a video of Alice made by one of our fans and confused it as an official trailer of Alice 2. I wanted to clear up any confusion - as I mentioned in my post it was unofficial, and does not represent any of the final art direction or story elements in Alice 2. We look forward to sharing information on the game in the future.[/blockquote]

The reason the "fan-made" trailer looked so damn professional, though, was because ... it was. According to the website of its creator Troy Morgan [http://www.troymorgan.com/index.html], the video was developed as an "advertising pitch" to EA and American McGee, which meant that even if it wasn't official, something very much like it could be.

So there you have it, folks. The mystery of the official-looking "unofficial" trailer has been solved.

(Via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=226665?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS])

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
thats amazing, that trailer was the first in a looong time that actually got me interested in a game (or anything for that matter), i hope the game is just as awesome as what the fan art made it look like.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Damn it... I just died on the inside.

That guy needs to be hired, and that needs to be a real teaser.

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
I guess imma have to go play the original, cause that trailer (and subsequent looking up of the first game on Wikipedia) has me thoroughly intrigued o-o.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
They should really give that man a job now, but also I am sad. That trailer was pretty cool.

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
I noticed that American McGee also mentioned that the "unofficial" trailer also doesn't represent any of the story elements for "Alice 2".

Now I'm curious on what is going to occur in this sequel.

Vierran

None here.
Oct 11, 2009
Well at least the guy who made it has just gotten a huge amount of free publicity stating his work is very professional looking.

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
Damn good trailer. I thought it was official! Man, when I read the title, I thought it was going to say that there was not going to be a sequel. That would've crushed me inside...

danosaurus

Mar 11, 2008
Alarm Bells started ringing for me when they used the in-game music at the end of the Trailer. As incredible as the OST for the game was, I don't think they'd recycle a near-decade old OST into a new movie.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Official trailer, unofficial trailer...

It doesn't matter. This is still a badass piece of advertising and one of the best stop-motion videos I have ever seen. Congrats go to the creators; I hope that they get some kickass animating jobs so I can see more of their work soon.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
You think it would have made more sense for McGee to actually state that when he first posted the video, wouldn't you? Instead of referring to it as an unofficial trailer, he could have said, "Heres a fan video someone sent us - check it out!".
I think by referring to it as an unofficial trailer then 'fessing up a few days later, hes tried to generate publicity for himself without actually having to pay anyone for marketing and advertising. Clever boy.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
So wait... the trailer is not official, but they are still making a sequel?

I almost payed $200 bucks for the first game because of that trailer. Hell, I'd just lie and say that it was official the entire time!