American Versions of English Shows

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
I can't think of one. The American versions almost always miss the point completely. Especially the comedies.

dills2

Aug 18, 2010
total wipeout usa is better than english one but i will hate the americanisation of misfits

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
I don't understand why English shows are converted into American versions, they're in the same language aren't they? Why does the US need its own version?

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
English? I thought Being Human was made by BBC Wales... =/

Seems to me the only decent "adaptations" are the ones that change so much they aren't really adaptations so much as new shows with a recognizable name tacked on to increase ratings. Oh, and game shows, everyone loves seeing someone local making an arse out of themselves.

xXTheParadoxXx

May 25, 2010
I heard that mtv is currently in the process of adapting the inbetweeners. After skins, why would they try again?

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
duckymcfly99 said:
What is a good example of a good English show being taken and adapted for the American audience?

I think the Being Human was a good show. I never watched the original but I quite liked the American version of it. It never got too boring and the story so far is good.

But I can feel it now. I can feel the heat from the English fan boys now, so I should probably shut up and let you post.
Just... no. I'm all for opinions, but the American version butchered it with tacky CG effects and a pretty-boy cast. It infuriates me... no offense.

George is brilliant in the British version.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
orangeban said:
I don't understand why English shows are converted into American versions, they're in the same language aren't they? Why does the US need its own version?
Honestly? I think it's a vanity thing.

Feb 13, 2008
duckymcfly99 said:
What is a good example of a good English show being taken and adapted for the American audience?
Here's a few links (may not work tomorrow)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_television_series_based_on_British_television_series

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_television_programmes_based_on_American_television_series

Both sides of the Atlantic are guilty of many many hideous crimes.

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
You know, at one point I thought the American Office was so damn good I would have fought any one who said the British version was better.

Now? Not so much...

Feb 13, 2008
philosophicalbastard said:
The american remake of Life on Mars was pretty good.
The British version was sublime though - and one of the best programmes of the 21st century so far.

So, pretty good is quite a way behind.

"I'm sick of you driving like a pissed up crackhead, I'm sick of you treating women like bean bags. And remember this, STAY OUT of Camberwick Green!"

Syzygy23 said:
Why would we need Dr. Who when we have Star Trek?
Star Trek's been cancelled?

Set phasers to Zing!.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
The Office.

I prefer(red; its lost its way a little since Michael left) to the original.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
manaman said:
Abandon4093 said:

Get out!

I'll sit here and listen to peoples opinion on this. But they royally missed the mark on that one,
Sounds like you might be stating as a fact that something is bad.

I find this hilarious after how much effort you put into trying to "prove" the story to the first Gears of War as good.
Are you kidding me? Who doesn't enjoy hearing Marcus ***** about his dad and Dom ***** about his wife for seven or so painful hours of gameplay...

ugh, god, looking back its worse than I thought.

OT:

Whose line is it anyway, best americanised show ever

Get_A_Grip_

May 9, 2010
The US Office is probably the best UK show adopted by the US, yet it is nowhere near as good as the UK version.
Top Gear USA being the worst. No-one should be forced to watch it.

steevee

Apr 16, 2008
I quite liked Shameless US. It was a totally different tone to the UK version, but a good drama in it's own right.

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
Vault101 said:
Digitaldreamer7 said:
British TV is so much more witty and enjoyable. Aside from Doctor Who, I watch a number of British shows regularly and still watch old shows. Just to name a few, Peep Show, Spaced, This is Jinsy, misfits, the office, shameless, The IT crowd, coupling, kingdon, Gavin and Stacy, an idiot abroad, pulling, The shadow line, and Saxondale
Im going to have to agree...as far as sitcoms go I cant think of one american I would say I "like"

I dont liek to call american stuff "stupid" (theres still great stuff) it just lacks subtlety at times

unreleated but I heard the american version of the british crime/drama "life of mars" was pretty good..although short lives, which was probably for the best
Give Scrubs a bit of slack, I find that just as funny as a lot of the stuff we have here in Britain, although obviously feels a bit more disconnected as its from the US.

OT: Yeah I can't really think of anything in which the new has surpassed the original in general, so "Americanizing" it follows this trend and the remakes tend to not be as good, this isn't because it's American though, it's probably because it's a remake.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Kurai Angelo said:
Are you kidding? You're talking about the program that they changed so it actually turned out that they were in fact ON MARS because the ideas of life and death in the British version were too complicated so they just went uhh.. it was all a dream, they were on Mars this whole time! Surprise!
Really? That's really what they did to the show? They honestly, actually, went with that as the plot?

Christ almighty.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
I've heard that there was a US Skins, which worked in the UK by having completely unlikable characters. However, US networks always want to have a 'relatible' character, but rather than being obese, poor and/or just a jerk, like most of the US & World, including the UK, they are smart, funny, witty, charming and attractive. Also, in the US Series of Skins, there is Lesbian sex in the SECOND EPISODE. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Skins_%28North_American_TV_series%29_episodes)
That's something else that apparently needs to be in every second American TV series - attractive lesbians. Apparently they're everywhere, whereas I only know 2 lesbians, and they are middle aged and not really attractive.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
duckymcfly99 said:
Here's a few links (may not work tomorrow)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_television_series_based_on_British_television_series

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_television_programmes_based_on_American_television_series

Both sides of the Atlantic are guilty of many many hideous crimes.
Most of the british adaptations are game shows, while the Americans have adapted our comedies which is considered sacrilegious, as comedy is one of our greatest achievements.

PseudoDuck

Bacon Robot
Oct 18, 2009
Have to go with The Office. I enjoyed the 2 seasons and 2 Christmas Specials we got of our Office, but massively prefer the US version.

Aside from the first few episodes - where Carell is doing Michael Scott as David Brent, rather than Michael Scott as Michael Scott - I think it's a far superior show. The chemistry between the cast just seems to work better and the characters are more colourful than the UK version. I prefer Dwight, Jim and Pam (mmm, Jenna Fischer) to Gareth, Tim, and Dawn.

Need to ask though, I heard there was a pilot (and/or full season) of the US IT Crowd. Did it make it to air?