Americans, tell me about your state

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Get it off your chest, or just gloat. Tell me about where you live and what makes it different to anywhere else in Oosa.

I live on the east coast of Scotland, which isn't terribly interesting. It's better than the west coast, though, by virtue of having smooth roads and clement weather.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
I'm from Ohio, it's not a bad state to live in. We've got a good-sized Amish country (Amish restaurants and shops are really nice), a decent concert scene, and some good schools and hospitals. We're the very eastern tip of the Midwest US, so we've got a good combination of farmland and east-coast culture.

My favorite fact about Ohio is that it's considered a 'Bellwether' state politically (just read that term online while fact-checking this bit), we're almost never wrong about who's going to be president. We're a decent microcosm of 2/3rds of the country, politically. Since 1896, we've only voted for the loser in 2 presidential elections. Along with Florida, we might be the most important swing state in the country.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Benpasko said:
I'm from Ohio, it's not a bad state to live in. We've got a good-sized Amish country (Amish restaurants and shops are really nice), a decent concert scene, and some good schools and hospitals. We're the very eastern tip of the Midwest US, so we've got a good combination of farmland and east-coast culture.

My favorite fact about Ohio is that it's considered a 'Bellwether' state politically (just read that term online while fact-checking this bit), we're almost never wrong about who's going to be president. We're a decent microcosm of 2/3rds of the country, politically. Since 1896, we've only voted for the loser in 2 presidential elections. Along with Florida, we might be the most important swing state in the country.
Hey, I'm from Ohio too! You forgot to mention the Ohio State Buckeyes, Cedar Point, the Football Hall of Fame, Aerospace Museum and that Michigan SUCKS! But, I LIVE in Texas, have for the past 6 years. Being a non-native, I'll keep my thoughts as objective as possible:

Texas is HOT.

The natives are arrogant.

They are objectively the worst drivers in the history of ever.

There's traffic everywhere (see above.)

They've a major team in literally every level of every sport, so you can't turn on sports radio any time of the year without hearing how great Texas is in [insert any sport].

The Alamo is literally just an empty building and half a brick wall, not worth all their bragging let alone the trip to San Antonio.

The food is good, as indicated by the average adult male's weight teetering right around 350lbs.

Texas pretty much is the embodiment of the 'Murica that the rest of the world hates.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
I live in Nevada... It's an alright place to live with a decent economy(usually), always playing catch up with more overtly progressive states like California and Washington. We have no state income tax... Oh and you can get liquor, go to a bar, and/or gamble somewhere here 24/7.

Also most counties have legal prostitution with state certified brothels, there's that too.

Edit:

Xprimentyl said:

No you don't! California has far worse drivers, the kind who will make a right turn from a far left hand left turn lane on a ten lane street. California has worse traffic too.

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
I'm from Montreal, Quebec.

I'd wager that, with maybe the exception of Native reserves and towns, it's the most distinct part of North America due the whole bilingual nature of the place, it's very nice. My parents were initially afraid of not being able to integrate properly, but it turned out pretty well.

Language and accents are a cornerstone of identity here, and while the tensions between Anglos and Francos have mostly died down, people from either side often criticize my accent for not sounding "right" enough. People are friendly enough, but the inability to speak French might engender hostility in some of the more belligerent locals.

Local cuisine is absolutely to die for: sweet and sugary, and very fat.

Roads are shit, climate is humid and cold-ish in winter, and humid and warm as hell during the summer.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I'm from Alabama.

Traits of Alabama:

It's not as redneck as Hollywood would make you think, as there are several cities that are fully developed and all that. Though there are the backwater sections as well. And not everyone has a southern accent. I've lived in this state my whole life, and people from outside the state frequently think I'm lying when I tell them I'm from Alabama.

Not everyone drives a truck, though many of them do, and yes (sighs), they fly rebel flags on them from time to time, and/or have rebel flag bumper stickers.

Not everyone here is a conservative republican bible thumper, though they are here, and in decent force.

The city I live in Huntsville, is one of the key cities in the space race, and Werner Von Braun worked here for many years to develop the propulsion systems the US used to get to space.

Uh, what else. It's annoying to live here as an atheist, because people will happily try and convert you if you mention you don't believe as they do. And you can't walk 20 fucking feet without running into a street. Seriously, you know all the jokes about how Starbucks used to have so many shops? Like that, but with churches.

What do I like about the place? Not much really, there isn't anything unique to the place that I'm aware of. It's just a city to live in.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Sonmi said:
I'm from Montreal, Quebec.

I'd wager that, with maybe the exception of Native reserves and towns, it's the most distinct part of North America due the whole bilingual nature of the place, it's very nice. My parents were initially afraid of not being able to integrate properly, but it turned out pretty well.

Language and accents are a cornerstone of identity here, and while the tensions between Anglos and Francos have mostly died down, people from either side often criticize my accent for not sounding "right" enough. People are friendly enough, but the inability to speak French might engender hostility in some of the more belligerent locals.

Local cuisine is absolutely to die for: sweet and sugary, and very fat.

Roads are shit, climate is humid and cold-ish in winter, and humid and warm as hell during the summer.
I'm currently living in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and I've gotta say that the dual French and English on everything has definitely been a big change of pace.

Anyway, I'm from Vermont, which is basically just Canada-lite. Minus the French.

It's very white, both geographically during the winter and demographically all year long. It's also fairly progressive, even in the more rural areas (though the most rural areas are kinda out of the loop overall; can't even get proper cell phone coverage in, like, half of the state). It's expensive as hell to live in considering what it is and what the job opportunities there are, and has the second-lowest total population of the entire USA.

It's, as far as I'm aware, one of the few continental states which explicitly forbids billboards (Maine apparently doesn't have them either), and also I believe the only state whose capital doesn't have a McDonald's. Until recently, there had been only two Wal-Marts in the entire state, neither of which was a "superstore/center". Apparently in the past five years or so three more have opened up.

Mostly, it's known for tourism and maple syrup. Lot of people come during autumn to see the forests and mountains, and during the winter there are a few popular snowboarding/skiing locations. It's also a pretty significant exporter of granite.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Georgia

Pretty nice place to live. It's very suburban, and there's been a lot of development over the years. Despite this there are lots of trees and woods, so we get the best of both worlds. There's always something going on in Atlanta, if you can be bothered to go, and a lot of movies get filmed here. Clint Eastwood was on my campus once.

Georgia is pretty conservative, but Atlanta is very liberal. College campuses as well. There are a lot of good old boys and rednecks. Some rednecks love the heck out of the confederate flag. Most of them aren't racist, and argue that the flag is about heritage. It's sort of nonsense, but there you are. It's interesting, because other rednecks hate that flag, since they see it as unpatriotic. There are fewer of these people the closer you get to the suburbs.

It's generally warm, and snows maybe one day a year. Typically it doesn't even snow, the roads just ice over enough that we can't travel and we all get a day off. No, we don't salt the roads or have any infrastructure for a snow emergency. This led to snowpocalypse a few years back, where I was stuck on the road for 12 hours.

All in all, a pretty great place to live.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Times like this I wonder what would happen if Puerto Rico did became the 51st state of the U.S.of.A after that 2011 referendum?

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Florida Man [http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/florida-man]

My state is like California, but less fun and with significantly more old people. The population seems to also take a bizarre joy in screwing up elections.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
Xprimentyl said:

No you don't! California has far worse drivers, the kind who will make a right turn from a far left hand left turn lane on a ten lane street. California has worse traffic too.
Let me clarify: they are objectively the worst NON-drivers in the history of ever. Using your example, a Texas driver might attempt the same reckless maneuver, however, they'll stop halfway to second-guess themselves leaving everyone around them to swerve around them. And it's driver's like these who cause 95% of our traffic. At least in California, you've got movers and shakers with important places to be clogging the roads; here, it's just a bunch fat fucks in pick-up trucks on their way to eat more.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
Missouri. Specifically Kansas City. I like it here. The people are pretty decent. The traffic is neither bad nor great. It's pretty easy to navigate and get around. There are a lot of fantastic places to eat BBQ. I actually work with a guy who's on a competition BBQ team. I live in an are where I'm 5 minutes away from pretty much anything that I'd need, yet I'm in a nice quiet neighborhood.

I'll probably live here for the rest of my life.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
axlryder said:
I'm from, but no longer live in, Delaware. It's tiny.
...Did it...disappear into a sinkhole?

Happyninja42 said:
. . . What do I like about the place? Not much really, there isn't anything unique to the place that I'm aware of. It's just a city to live in.
Well...it's not on fire, is it?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Barbas said:
Happyninja42 said:
. . . What do I like about the place? Not much really, there isn't anything unique to the place that I'm aware of. It's just a city to live in.
Well...it's not on fire, is it?
Not currently no, but we did have a massive drought recently, as well as a large amount of wild fires that were moving in the area. So there was actually a possibility that it would be on fire. :p Thankfully, we've had near constant rain for the last few days, that only just now let up, so fire isn't a big issue right now.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
Mostly, it's known for tourism and maple syrup. Lot of people come during autumn to see the forests and mountains, and during the winter there are a few popular snowboarding/skiing locations. It's also a pretty significant exporter of granite.
I'm from New Hampshire, so that all sounds awful familiar. I don't even really have much else to add. We're kind of a boring state.

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
Tuesday Night Fever said:
shrekfan246 said:
I'm from New Hampshire, so that all sounds awful familiar. I don't even really have much else to add. We're kind of a boring state.
From what I've heard, both of your states are tied along with Minnesota and Maine for the title of "Canada within the United States".