Amnesia Dev Teases SOMA Gameplay

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Amnesia Dev Teases SOMA Gameplay

<youtube=TWHVkMIP1b8>​
Frictional Games offers a creepy look at its sci-fi horror game SOMA.

Heavy breathing, low-light conditions, wandering around in the dark -- Amnesia: The Dark Descent developer Frictional Games loves it. After announcing its upcoming game SOMA early this month, today the company released a gameplay trailer that shows viewers just enough to make them want to know more.

There's no eerie music in the background, just the frantic pants of the disoriented protagonist as he stumbles through the dark. SOMA is an explorative horror game in which the player must escape with no weapons from a research facility of dangerous machines.

The trailer ends on the famous quote by philosopher René Descartes: "I think; therefore, I am." Another quote is on the official site of the game;the Philip K. Dick quote reads, "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

The site went live in early October and has limited information available at the moment, but two case files are available for view. Item #2656 "Vivarium" was first posted when the website launched. The case file contains a video diary of interaction with a machine. Item #4017 "Mockingbird" also has a video diary. The entry poses a question at the beginning, theorizing how a robot "spontaneously developed a desire to socialize from observing human interaction." In the video, an engineer converses with a robot who introduces itself as Adam Golaski, the name of an engineer in the game. Judging by the inclusion of the Descartes quote and the information available so far, SOMA will explore machine consciousness. SOMA already feels intriguing and creepy.

SOMA is expected to come out in 2015 for the PC and PS4.

Source: SOMA [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWHVkMIP1b8]

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
It is very intriguing, I'm now anticipating 2015 much more than before.

Also before people complain about the voice acting (which I had an issue with as well) you can rest a little bit easier since I saw another article which stated that this teaser is a sort of side story meant to show off what you can expect from that game and the person moving around isn't the protagonist we will play as.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Okay... guessed the twist early on, but seriously wasn't expecting the twist to be brought up within the trailer. And as for the counter twist...

Oh, great. Now I'm intrigued. And I just know that being intrigued means I'm going to pick this up, which is probably going to prove very very bad for my mental health...

Eh, being sane and not terrified out of my wits is probably over-rated.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I'm now heavily interested in this game. It'll be like the Old World Blues dlc from Fallout New Vegas only a lot less funny

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Never liked Amnesia....And this hasn't won me over.I found Penumbra interesting. A good 6 years and the gameplay has barely changed, this was more of a story trailer than anything else.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
mad825 said:
Never liked Amnesia....And this hasn't won me over.I found Penumbra interesting. A good 6 years and the gameplay has barely changed, this was more of a story trailer than anything else.
Jee-wiz, a game based pretty much entirely on story likes to show story teasers and uses a functional gameplay set-up because it has almost no bearing on...

THE STORY?

:p

SAY it ain't so!

OT:
I am interested. Not much else to say, just time to wait.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
On one hand this is very interesting from a story perspective, on the other hand the gameplay looks the exact same as every other "defenseless horror" game, so it better have an excellent narrative to make up for it.

obedai

Mar 19, 2010
Hmm, the visual design leaves me a bit unimpressed. From the stuff they had on their website before I was expecting a more white, sterile look. This looks similar to amnesia visually. Not a terrible thing, I just think it would be interesting to have a horror setting that moves beyond the standard horror look. Otherwise, count me in. I loved TDD and I'm sure I will love this.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
here is some background info about the trailer:
http://frictionalgames.blogspot.de/2013/10/soma-officially-revealed.html

I like the visual mix of Giger and Matrix Machine City

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Ferisar said:
mad825 said:
Jee-wiz, a game based pretty much entirely on story likes to show story teasers and uses a functional gameplay set-up because it has almost no bearing on...

THE STORY?

:p

SAY it ain't so!
Look here genius, the whole point of gameplay trailers is to showcase the gameplay mechanics "this is how you're going to play the game". A tutorial if you like. There is nothing to show or to teach.

You can toot your horn it all being about the story (despite how pathetically pretentious it sounds) but there are many different ways round this; Pre-rendered trailers is one.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
BloodRed Pixel said:
here is some background info about the trailer:
http://frictionalgames.blogspot.de/2013/10/soma-officially-revealed.html

I like the visual mix of Giger and Matrix Machine City
good im not the only one who thought that the tunnels looked like the machine world of matrix.

wasnt really fond of amnesia and from the looks of it, this one will change my mind either.

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
Never played Amnesia but this setting and idea had me very interested.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Very interested. The visual, the setting, and specially the end of the trailer have me wondering, so definitely looking out for this one.