Amnesia: The Dark Descent Coming to Retail

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Amnesia: The Dark Descent Coming to Retail

The awesomely terrifying Amnesia: The Dark Descent is just a few days away from getting a boxed retail release in North America.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is widely regarded as the most frightening thing to happen to videogames since E.T. Incident of nineteen-hundred-and-eighty-two. The Frictional Games [http://www.frictionalgames.com/] release got a lot of attention for doing a masterful job of scaring players and not just startling them, which is no doubt why it is now being crammed into boxes and put it up for sale in stores.

The box art, if that really is the box art, isn't great, but it is a nice option for those weirdos out there who think that a box and a disc are an important part of the whole "game ownership" experience. 1C Company had published a retail release of the game in Russian and Eastern Europe, but the North American edition is being put out by THQ.

The award-winning Amnesia: The Dark Descent has already racked up more than 200,000 copies sold via digital distribution so the retail release may not set the world on fire, but I'm certainly looking forward to it. The game will hit store shelves on February 22 and is expected to sell for $20. To learn more, check out amnesiagame.com [http://amnesiagame.com/#main].

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/16/amnesia-the-dark-descent-gets-put-in-a-retail-box]

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
Well i can safefully say, that cover art is messing with my sanity, just not in the way its ment to...

Jul 22, 2009
That mutant on the front is really... really bad...

Still, I'd buy this if I thought I could ever play it, but Penumbra scares me enough.

Anyway retail copies are always good for people who don't want to buy using digital download ^_^

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Ruairi iliffe said:
Well i can safefully say, that cover art is messing with my sanity, just not in the way its ment to...
It looks more like he's smiling, waiting for the right moment to shout at him or burst a balloon.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
WHAT JUNKY BOXART.

WHAT THE HELL.

They broke three rules:
1. They made it montage-style.
2. They revealed the monster.
3. They drew the monster all wrong.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
I think they should stick with the fake(?) box art. It's much more subtle and interesting.
It's friggin awesome that they're getting a box release though :D

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I hope their next game is released on console as well as PC... Amnesia was awesome

Triggerhappy938

Dec 10, 2007
On one hand, yay! Amnesia deserves the retail release and I hope it gets all the exposure it deserves.

On the other hand, I don't know if that box art is going to be helping sales any. Wasn't someone on this web zone just commenting on how bad box art in the US is nowadays?

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
So that's what Daniel looks like hmm...but what did they do to Mr.face his face isn't nearly as scary and deformed as it is in the game, probably censors of some kind I suppose...

Edit: Not exactly the best but I think the russian box art is an improvement over the THQ version.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
Jeez, what happened to the "the monster is scarier the LESS you see of it." Now they throw it on the freaking box art!? The one where it is just a stone hallway with the one beam of light shining on a plant was SO much better. Sigh, whatever. I might get my brother to buy it now though.

EDIT: Ninja'd

King_Serpent

GUY YOU DON'T KNOW
Jul 12, 2010
Why, the box art? why!? Well, atleast now when I play the game all I have think of is this picture and I will make it through without freaking out to badly.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Its been released retail in Poland and not in America? THIS IS THE FIRST TIME EVER.

The box art of the polish retail... well, box.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
I loved that game, absolutely loved it. The pinnacle of the horror genre that's so far above the rest in terms of quality, and so beyond the scope of any other horror game, the rest shouldn't sit under the genre "Horror" at all.

But that cover art? Yeesh. Looks like a cheap WalMart version of the game.

Retardinator

Nov 2, 2009
I'll bet that's the American box art and everywhere else in the world it's going to look decent.
At least I hope so...

Jun 7, 2010
lacktheknack said:
WHAT JUNKY BOXART.

WHAT THE HELL.

They broke three rules:
1. They made it montage-style.
2. They revealed the monster.
3. They drew the monster all wrong.
Remember, american boxart sucks.

OT: i might consider buying this now if my computer can handle it.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
I think they should stick with the fake(?) box art. It's much more subtle and interesting.
It's friggin awesome that they're getting a box release though :D
This is SO much nicer. Hopefully a mind will change somewhere before this thing comes out. Either way I'm buying it but wow. How could you say no to this?