Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Amnesia: The Dark Descent

If you're looking for a good scare, try playing Amnesia: The Dark Descent with the lights turned off.

Read Full Article

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
I would probably get it, but it seems a tad bit too scary for poor old me.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I'm actually doing a Let's Play of it [sub][sub]Advertising? ME?![/sub][/sub] and I have to admit, I'm crapping myself.
I'm only 90 minutes in, and it's the scariest game I've ever played. That may not sound like much, considering it's just about the only scary game I've played, but it's meant as praise.

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
This is one of those times that I, (if I had a decent rig) would put up with a keyboard to try out a game. It looks absolutely fantastic!

PedrHoliday

Feb 6, 2009
Amnesia: The Dark Descent is the first survival horror game that I have ever played. I can't really say that it's better creating an atmosphere than, say, Silent Hill because I simply have no experience when it comes to horror games, so forgive me if I say something stupid here.
I believe that the game has some nice touches, the bugs scattering the floor, the occasional scream when you feel particularly safe, the fact that you have to find out if you have to pull or push open a door every time you're running from a monster and then crying on the floor on fetal position because you spent two seconds pulling the door instead of pushing it and you felt that two seconds was enough for the monster to come right up to you and bite your skin off but you're also too afraid to look behind and see how far it is because that would just burn even more precious life-saving time. It's a pretty scary game, at least for me, an inocent soul from the magical land of unicorns and lollipops but I'm afraid that means that what I experienced as pants-soiling horrifying might be a small scare for someone with (any) experience on horror games.

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
I bought this game last night based off Yahtzee's review of it and its been scaring me shitless. I had to put the game down for a while before my own sanity meter depletes. Its not going to give me nightmares tonight but while playing it I'm wound up into such a tight ball of paranoia and "OH SHIT" that I've been bothering my roommates while they try to do work with my constant screaming at the game.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I bought this game a couple of days ago and I haven't felt genuinely frightened by a game in a long time. The very first game that made me this frightened was Resident Evil 3 and yes, it was because of Nemesis himself, the second was Silent Hill 2 and the GameCube remake of Resident Evil. No other game has left me so frightened after those, even Penumbra itself, it was scary, but not as scary as Amnesia.

Even I watched a couple of walkthroughs on YouTube and even after watching those, I still felt way too scared to keep on playing. The sounds are the best selling point for me in this game, I'd heavily recommend to play this with loud headphones/speakers with MSN or any other IM closed (stay "offline" in Steam and Xfire) to immerse yourself as seamless as possible.

Oficially, the scariest game I've ever played in a long while.

00DUMB

Apr 4, 2010
"I can't think of any other genre where the central purpose of the game is to make the player feel a specific emotion."

...Is rape a genre? How about RapeLay?

s0m3th1ng

Aug 29, 2010
This is, without a doubt, the scariest form of media currently in existence. These indie game developers have created a work of pure, unadulterated terror that scratches at your sanity as you play. I was sweating and hearing things after shutting down the game.

randomsix

Apr 20, 2009
The sound DUM da da DUM da da DUM da da DUM holds a special place in my heart after playing this game. Hopefully this kind of quality psychological mindwarp will become a bit more prevalent, as it's my favorite genre.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Shamus Young said:
Experienced Points: Amnesia: The Dark Descent

If you're looking for a good scare, try playing Amnesia: The Dark Descent with the lights turned off.

Read Full Article
As a Silent Hill and Fatal Frame fan, this is definitely something I'll have to look into.

Oh, but the column does contain one notable error. Eat Pray Love is actually an extremely frightening movie. In fact, just the thought of watching it gives me nightmares.

dogmachines

Mar 24, 2009
I've thought about getting this game lately. It's about the only game that looks remotely scarey, with FEAR 3 the only game that sticks out to me, and that series has gone down hill since they explained more things and starting turning to jump scares and destroying the pacing after the more japanese style horror of the first FEAR.

NicolasMarinus

Sep 21, 2009
Do you remember those nightmares you had as a kid where a monster was chasing you and you just wanted to become so small you could disappear? Well, this game gives that exact same emotion. I wants to make me hide in a closet and sit there forever.

Incrédible game.

dbmountain

Feb 24, 2010
00DUMB said:
"I can't think of any other genre where the central purpose of the game is to make the player feel a specific emotion."

...Is rape a genre? How about RapeLay?
Is rape an emotion?

OT: This article really gave my a craving for some good survival-horror games. Are there any decent ones on console? Like Shamus said about Dead Space, Resident Evil, etc, those are just monster shooting galleries. Any genuine survival-horror games that are scary for the 360?

rankfx

Jul 24, 2010
StriderShinryu said:
As a Silent Hill and Fatal Frame fan, this is definitely something I'll have to look into.
Fatal Frame: now that was a scary game. I'll have to get Dark Descent but I might hunt down Fatal Frame first

JS ibanez

Jan 12, 2010
This game is such an excellent buy. Support these people an buy their game too. They need it!

Such a terrifying game that always kept me on edge

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Ooo this is good! I've just started playing Penumbra Overture, been wanting to for ages but didn't have the right graphics card.

I have to say that aside from Silent Hill (which I'm a HUGE fan of) there has never been a game that has scared me so much in literally the first few minutes. Seriously, you start the game and BAM, you're underground and you have to open a door to proceed... what's so scary about that? I guess it's partly the physics engine which makes even a mundane task like opening a door seem like a real action instead of a simple button press. You have control over the door, you are opening and revealing the unknown space behind it. You can do it fast, you can do it slow, but damn you've still got to get it done one way or another! It's a real example of the videogame industry PR department's favourite word: immersion.

Damn, has this ever got me pumped for Amnesia now! Thanks Shamus!

Amazon warrior

Jul 7, 2009
Ok, really might have to get this game - I do like to be scared, and so far games are the most immersive way I've found to be creeped out, when done well. I once played that level of Thief 3 at 3am in the dark. It was terrifying. It was AWESOME. I could almost forgive the game its lack of rope arrows, unimmersive lock-picking system and wasted city street areas for that one level.

StriderShinryu said:
Oh, but the column does contain one notable error. Eat Pray Love is actually an extremely frightening movie. In fact, just the thought of watching it gives me nightmares.
It's truly frightening just how self-absorbed the main character is.

Putting an air horn into the middle of Eat, Pray, Love wouldn't turn it into a scary movie.
No, it's scary all by itself. But it would have made it an immeasurably better film if it drowned out all the "Me, me, me; wah, wah, wah."

deadbeat503

May 27, 2009
Hmm. I actually really liked the voice in penumbra overture, I think his name was Clarence. It made for great moments where he started to mess with your head in order to preserve him self.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Its one of those games thats freaky, just because its freaky.

In a world where nearly every videogame made has you pinned as some super soldier, fighting against legions of cannon fodder, this is a breath of fresh air.

To put it basically, You.Dont.Stand.A.Chance.

At the first sign of danger, you have to run.

Sure, fling a chair at whats chasing you.
^Congratulations, you just pissed it off.^
^your organs are now a necktie^
^shortly after, your dead^