Amnesia: The Dark Descent

znix

Apr 9, 2009
It's a great game for anyone who appreciates horror.

Unfortunately going insane doesn't do much. The screen gets wobbly/blurry and you breathe funny, but that's about it. You can actually go through the whole of the game bat-shit crazy and be no worse off for it, except it's a bit tricky to control at times and monsters spot you more easily.
Even with that knowledge, the game still managed to be scary. Watch out for water :D

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
i tried the demo, i played with the sound off and played winnie the pooh in the background, turned the gamma all the way up, and the first time i thought i saw something move, i turned it off, but to be honest i am very easily scared.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
I already cleared it. The one point where it made me react LOUDLY was when...

... It blasted open an Iron Maiden chamber on me and spectral blood leaked out.

GrownupLawolf

Oct 29, 2009
Cid SilverWing said:

Don't remind me.
*shivers*
That part got me good.
I had to take a break for two days after it.

Then, when I started playing again, I tried to go inside the Iron Maiden... and it suddenly closed shut, again making me poo and piss my pants simutanelously.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
Ah, I haven't been scared by a game... or anything really since Silent Hill and bearing in mind I used to get scared by Tomb Raider, I'm not sure if I *dare* get this game.

dghjdgdjf

Nov 9, 2009
Played it, finished it, and it's still getting to me. Scariest thing I've ever seen/played and I couldn't have loved every second of it less.

By the way, after you've finished the game you might wanna check out the files where you installed it. Theres a "Secret" winrar file that you can extract with a code you get at the end of the game. (It's not too obvious, trust me.)

GrownupLawolf said:
Cid SilverWing said:

Don't remind me.
*shivers*
That part got me good.
I had to take a break for two days after it.

Then, when I started playing again, I tried to go inside the Iron Maiden... and it suddenly closed shut, again making me poo and piss my pants simutanelously.
I dunno, I knew that the Iron maiden was gonna shut itself when you went into it, ruining the scare for me. It was waaaaay to obvious with a thing like that.

Viik

Aug 14, 2010
"Scary" part of this games is much worse than Thief 2 had in some of the level. In Thief you could fight if you want or run away, that was your choice, not game designers and you couldn't play Rambo unless you completed game several times to know some glitches. Amnesia does completetly different thing - it says you when you should be scared, its so lame, just like in cheap horror movies.
Another thing is camera, this what made me scary that I'm gona puke on my keyboard, yeap really scary. Very bad feature that should be optionally switched off in options, it dosn't add to atmosphere only iritates + extensive motion blur that makes it even worse.
Third thing, if you add physics interatction into puzzles solving, why the heck then you "snap" physically operated objects into some predefined places? To avoid bugs? I mean imagine Valve's gravity gun that allows to grab only quest objects and pull them only into predefined places...
Next thing is a sanity meter, it works only when you stay at lit floor, so if'm stayin in a dark spot near wide window and looking at it (so I don't even see a dark) I'm still loosing sanity, what kind of logic is that? Ahhh yeap, I forgot, you need to stay at dark spot so monsters won't see you, even if you have a freaking neon projector behind you, he won't see you and you sanity will go down. Sanity meter itself is really bad in terms of effects that it does, guys, please check Call of Cthulhu next time. It would be much better if insanity effects would be linked to environment, how they should be, not just slimes and blurred (puke) vision.

So I would say in the end it's a nice try, but it focuses too much on being spooky movie than actuall game.

TraderJimmy

Apr 17, 2010
I have to know, how does AtDD handle death?

Because I found Bioshock pants-shittingly terrifying. Right up 'til I died and woke up about three meters away, and absolutely fine. Bullshit, tbh. Ruined the immersion for me. I had to complete it in a long series of no-death attempts to get any of that glorious spine-tingly sense back (yeah, I know it's not strictly a horror game. But horror formed most of the reason I liked it).

Does Amnesia: the Dark Descent handle death better than that?

LeeshaJoy

Jun 22, 2009
I made the mistake of playing the Amnesia demo at nine PM when I was alone in my big, old, creaky house. I had to turn it off and watch cartoons for a while so that I would have half a chance of actually getting to sleep that night.

I would like to buy it, but I think I'm too much of a wuss to actually play it again.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
llagrok said:
Yossarian1507 said:
To people who played and/or beat Amnesia:

How about the plot? Is it any good? No spoilers please, just yes or no. I'm mostly playing games for a good story, and if Amnesia is only a scare package without anything else, I'll pass. Otherwise, I think I'll buy it to fill some time time before AC: Brotherhood release.
It's a hella lot better than anything you'll find in the Assassin's Creed games. I'll do you one better, the story in Amnesia trumps most stories in horror games. With the possible exception of Eternal Darkness and Silent Hill 2.
That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm going to buy it tomorrow.

Also, as a side note: AC series is actually the rare example of a games I play for gameplay more than a story... Although, I was actually one of those few people in the world who liked those conspiracy theories as well as the final twist of AC II :p

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yossarian1507 said:
To people who played and/or beat Amnesia:

How about the plot? Is it any good? No spoilers please, just yes or no. I'm mostly playing games for a good story, and if Amnesia is only a scare package without anything else, I'll pass. Otherwise, I think I'll buy it to fill some time time before AC: Brotherhood release.
The story is somewhat above average... although with games that's not saying much.

But, while I loved the game, I can't honestly say the story was great. The endings (there are multiple endings) in particular were rather weak.

However, the rest of the game was superb. So I still strongly recommend you get it.

TraderJimmy said:
I have to know, how does AtDD handle death?

Because I found Bioshock pants-shittingly terrifying. Right up 'til I died and woke up about three meters away, and absolutely fine. Bullshit, tbh. Ruined the immersion for me. I had to complete it in a long series of no-death attempts to get any of that glorious spine-tingly sense back (yeah, I know it's not strictly a horror game. But horror formed most of the reason I liked it).

Does Amnesia: the Dark Descent handle death better than that?
Yes. Yes it does. Amnesia uses plain old checkpoints/autosaves. And they're frequent enough to avoid frustration. No Vita-Chambers here.

But believe me, dying in this game can be brick-shittingly terrifying.

(Also, I agree with you about Bioshock. I loved the game, but hated the respawn system. I always just played with the chambers turned off.)

HarmanSmith

Aug 12, 2009
It may just be that I'm playing it with a track-pad, but the object interactions can be a bit glitchy. I've died about eight times because I couldn't open a door or would get it halfway open only to have it snap shut. It's definitely scary, but using a trackpad can be immersion-breaking at times.