An 8-year old wants Gears of War 2

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Cyketor said:
What in GODS name is wrong with u, no joke im not even gonna bother now u dumb as hick!
For all I know ur some 45 year old in ur parents basement!
Go be a *dick Head* some where els
Please use some form of spellcheck, you're posts are virtually unreadable.

Also Fallout is most definatly not a realistic look at a world after a nuclear stike.

asteroth21nox

Nov 12, 2008
I see it every day, children who are way too grown up at their age or know and see things they shouldn't at their age. But thats bad parenting for you. Timmy wants to play "rape whore bloody gore mess" and throws a huge tantrum and so I just have to give him what he wants or I get no rest when I get home from work and I can't possibly put my foot down or he might hate me waawaa blah blah blah.

Pyronoid

Oct 29, 2008
I was in HMV last year, same thing, I heard some kid say "I love this game but you won't let me have it!". Looked down expecting like, Viva Pinata? Saw Gears of War in his hand.

Fucking kids.

Raven28256

Sep 18, 2008
To add to what I said earlier about parents being ignorant of ratings, I found something else.

We went to Toys R Us to get some Christmas shopping for some of the younger people on our lists. I was flipping through one of their big Christmas shopping books. It was marketed towards children, full of pictures of kids between the ages of toddlers to pre-teens. And what games did I see in there? Gears of War 2, Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, Call of Duty: World at War, and the God of War game for the PSP. Yep, Toys R Us was marketing M-rated games to children. More specifically, the page had pre-teens on it. I'm sure that it would certainly confuse parents looking at the magazine. I mean, after all, it shows pre-teens in and around the video game section, and they don't include R-rated movies in these magazines, so why would they include mature video games?

So the ignorance also includes retailers, not just parents.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Chickenlittle said:
The ESRB needs to get employees who sell video games to ask who the games are for, and their age. Then they need to prevent sales for underage children.
the ESRB has no real say in that.

They just rate the games.

now if Walmart or EBgamestop or any of those companies want to broaden their policy, they's their prerogative.. but I'm sure most gamers who buy M-rated games would get sick and tired of being asked if they're buying the game for an infant

Raven28256 said:
To add to what I said earlier about parents being ignorant of ratings, I found something else.

We went to Toys R Us to get some Christmas shopping for some of the younger people on our lists. I was flipping through one of their big Christmas shopping books. It was marketed towards children, full of pictures of kids between the ages of toddlers to pre-teens. And what games did I see in there? Gears of War 2, Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, Call of Duty: World at War, and the God of War game for the PSP. Yep, Toys R Us was marketing M-rated games to children. More specifically, the page had pre-teens on it. I'm sure that it would certainly confuse parents looking at the magazine. I mean, after all, it shows pre-teens in and around the video game section, and they don't include R-rated movies in these magazines, so why would they include mature video games?

damn, that's exactly what we don't need.

Chickenlittle

Sep 4, 2008
Altorin said:
Chickenlittle said:
The ESRB needs to get employees who sell video games to ask who the games are for, and their age. Then they need to prevent sales for underage children.
the ESRB has no real say in that.

They just rate the games.

now if Walmart or EBgamestop or any of those companies want to broaden their policy, they's their prerogative.. but I'm sure most gamers who buy M-rated games would get sick and tired of being asked if they're buying the game for an infant
I realize that the ESRB needs to push for some speak in something that matters, at the very least, putting ages on the package instead of letters.

Raven28256 said:

damn, that's exactly what we don't need.
This is true. These companies exist to make money, and they don't have any qualms about sacrificing a few kids' principles.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Raven28256 said:
Avida said:
Yeah, its the parents fault and blah blah... But why do 8 year olds and other well-underage kids want games like this? I mean, is this a sign that the marketing for these titles is screwy? What is it about killing and chainsaws that these kids are attracted to before even playing the game?
Actually, I've seen a lot of examples of little children wanting games that they have never even heard of. I was at Gamestop once a few days after Christmas to spend some gift cards. Unfortunately, everyone else in town was too, but that isn't the point. I saw a kid who couldn't be older than about seven or eight running up to random games yelling "MOMMY! MOMMY! THIS LOOKS FUN!" Seriously, he did that to pretty much EVERY game he saw. He even kept grabbing 360 games even after his mom said "No, you can't get that, you don't have an Xbox." Just saying, there is a chance that the kid in the story was a hyperactive little crotch-dropping like the one I saw, and just decided that he wanted Gears of War 2 on a complete impulse.

I think another issue here is that a disturbing number of parents aren't even aware that games have ratings. They just assume that games are for kids. Take a story I have, and tell pretty often to prove my point on the subject. I was at Wal-Mart to pick up some things and decided to browse the electronics while I was there. There was a kid who looked about eight or so and he wanted God of War. So his mom called the employee over and pointed to God of War. The employee said "Er...is this for him, ma'am? Because I'd really suggest not getting it for him..." Her son started pitching a fit and she said "Oh just get it already" in a very stuck-up 'I'm better than you because you work at Wal-Mart and I have a severe case of Richbitchitis' tone. He said "It is rated M, for 17 and up. It is like the game version of the R rating." She said "Oh bullshit. It is just a video game. It is a toy for children, it can't be THAT bad." He said "Well, I have it and it contains a lot of violence and gore, as well as sex and nudity." She says "I don't believe you. It is a VIDEO GAME! They wouldn't put that stuff in it, it is supposed to be for kids. Now give me the goddamn game or I'm going to get a manager." The employee said "Ma'am, it is called 'God of War,' do you honestly think it is for children?" At which point she proceeded to cuss him out and demanded a manager. I left at this point because if I had to listen to this condescending, stuck-up, ignorant ***** and her crying banshee of a child any longer I would have had the urge to find a box cutter and end my life.

My point is that many parents still have this idea that video game = child's toy, and that there isn't even a rating system. That, combined with their disinterest in looking at what their child wants and giving in to "pester power" is ultimately part of the reason why the anti-game groups hold such power. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that many of the anti-game activists were like this woman: Didn't care or pay attention to what they were buying their child, then looks to where they can point fingers after they walk in on Little Timmy banging hookers in his truck in GTA. God forbid that parents take the blame and start to actually fucking parent their children instead of demanding the government slam down the ban hammer.
This is why I'm happy that this current generation of parents will die out soon, leaving us, the new generation to pass on our values to our kids.

Fronken

May 10, 2008
Please help us Mr. Jack Thompson! /sarcasm

No but seriously, parents need to be taught what the ratings mean, as a couple of people have said already, a great way of doing this would be through advertisements on TV and in the newspapers (stuff grown-ups pay attention to), in which they explain that games are NOT only for kids anymore, and that there are games that arent good for kids to play, therefore the rating system.

GenHellspawn

Jan 1, 2008
Personally, I would differ from the majority here. I played numerous M-rated games when I was young, namely Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Max Payne, and watched Heavy Metal at the age of 12. I think that, while keeping your kids sane is nice and all, a lot of parents underestimate the metal stability of their children.

IndieRocker

Mar 25, 2008
How come you lot are all whining about kids playing mature games but when people like Jack Thomson complain you slag him off. Make your mind up whos side ur on.

homoagogo

Jan 3, 2009
I work with kids from ages 5-12, all of them experiencing different stages of emotional, mental, and social development. I have noticed a trend among the kids that play violent video games- They play violently with other children as well, with very little forethought for their own safety (which is common for crazy, crazy children)or the safety of others (which is where I have a problem). I can only assume that the parents of the kids involved are either apathetic towards the material their child is exposed to or are trying to encourage an intellectual understanding of fiction that their kids are NOT mentally or emotionally prepared for. I often hear the excuse of "I thought I could do it because I saw (character's name) do it," or "It didn't look like it hurt on the tv/xbox/whatever." The parents may have the best of intentions for their children, but the ability of the children to analyze these ideas and images is often overlooked completely. I don't want to sound like Mrs. Lovejoy from the simpsons (Won't somebody think of the children?!) but the parents sure as hell aren't doing very well in my town. :(

masterblaze0

Jan 3, 2009
I'm 15 myself, and I personally have no problem with violent/profane/sexual games. I fully am aware of the consequences of having unprotected sex, or violently assaulting someone.

I think there is an age limit of sorts, but it's a kind of limit that is elastic and based on the morals/understanding of the children

homoagogo said:
I work with kids from ages 5-12, all of them experiencing different stages of emotional, mental, and social development. I have noticed a trend among the kids that play violent video games- They play violently with other children as well, with very little forethought for their own safety (which is common for crazy, crazy children)or the safety of others (which is where I have a problem). I can only assume that the parents of the kids involved are either apathetic towards the material their child is exposed to or are trying to encourage an intellectual understanding of fiction that their kids are NOT mentally or emotionally prepared for. I often hear the excuse of "I thought I could do it because I saw (character's name) do it," or "It didn't look like it hurt on the tv/xbox/whatever." The parents may have the best of intentions for their children, but the ability of the children to analyze these ideas and images is often overlooked completely. I don't want to sound like Mrs. Lovejoy from the simpsons (Won't somebody think of the children?!) but the parents sure as hell aren't doing very well in my town. :(
I concur. Parents are becoming more apathetic these days. Very few try to reprimand their children, perhaps because most of them are under the false misconception that punishment involves physically hurting your child. It can be something as simple as setting a curfew instead.

I honestly think it's a combination of the media hyping and exploitation, the parents apathy, and the childrens general lack of education that causes things like this to happen.

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
I remember getting Perfect Dark when I was like 10 and bro was 12 or something. All I can say in defense is that no one is dead/dying as a result of me, my brother, or any of our friends we played it with. Parents should be able to tell whether or not their children are mentally stable.

samsprinkle

Jun 29, 2008
I am only 14...Since my EARLY childhood(try 3) I have been gaming. With Spyro and the like...and Metal Gear Solid(granted at four MGS was unbeatable, but playable) and many other games. I have never been restricted from playing a game. My parents were always smart enough to realize that I was smart enough not to go slit someones throat or cut off their genitals...I don't think those ratings are anything but a way of the "elite" parents making everyone think they care about what their kid's do...

Unit Alpha

Jan 3, 2009
Bearing in mind M games are technically 17+, I'd have to say the parent is automatically going to be listed in my "Idiot" book for not saying no immediately. And chances are if they buy it, the parents will blame the videogame industry for not making the ESRB rating in 6 inch red letters that cover the front of the box.

Losh Wi Thang

Dec 17, 2008
I was playing Quake, Duke nukem 3d and Hexen when I was 6 and I have never had a problem deciding not to kill someone.