An anime recommendation thread for someone who has not watched anime in 4 years.....

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Story said:
Can anyone recommend me an anime that has an end already, particularly dramas with interesting characters or that subvert genres?
For a reference, I tend to like anime like Wolf's Rain, Death Note, Trigun, and The Count of Monte Cristo.

As for you OP, I pretty much recommend the things I just listed above.
And anything from Satoshi Kon (Paprika, Perfect Blue, and Paranoia Agent)
Maybe Shigofumi might work?

13 episode anime about a mail carrier from the afterlife who gives letters from the dead to their loved ones. Each episode deals with different situations like suicide, depression, and anger.

Demolition_Human said:
Hello, escapists!! I have come to ask you all if you have any anime you could recommend to someone like me. I have hardly watched anime in about 4 years. I tried to twice then stopped. So I was wondering if any of you have some anime to recommend. And I bet you would like to know some of the anime I watched. Well I'll try to remember to the best of my ability. I think I watched...

Have Watched:
Cowboy Bebop
Naruto
A bit of One Piece
Dragonball Z
FLCL
Some episodes of Rave Master

Currently watching:
Kill la Kill
Since you seem to like long action animes, then you should watch yu yu hakusho. It is the one of the very few long action animes I can tolerate. Almost no filler, no stupid ass pulls and fights that last the whole season, and has a good cast as well as a good dub.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
Yep, I haven't watched an anime in nearly ten years, and I have to echo the Attack on Titan recommendation. It's quite good. Maybe it's because I haven't been watching anime for a very long time, but I like the art style and the animation quality.

What really caught my attention, though, is that people actually die. I guess this is the first time I'm seeing an anime where characters die and stay dead.

Serafis

Mar 24, 2010
There are some really good suggestiions, particularly the Monster, Madoka, Fate/Zero, and P4, Gurren Lagaan are very good. In fact, Monster is my favourite anime, Madoka being number 2.

SnK definitely is overrated in the sense that it has a lot of pacing issues and really hasn't yet dive into the core of the series so far, even though it's a year and a half into the series. I did not find myself to care for the squad much outside of MC and Mikasa either, so YMMV on it. In comparison to Fullmetal, it's not close in it that Fullmetal managed to make you care about a minor character like Hughes. I can see the appeal, since the anime is very...American in mentality, but the quality of the visuals and sound is very good.

Out of the stuff I haven't seen a recommendation for:

Kara no Kyoukai: it's a series of movies that are deep and relatively unnerving. The animation studio is fantastic and the quality is top notch. If you like Type Moon, this is an easy pick up. If you're into Fate/Zero, this is kind of like a predecessor to it, while still being in the same universe. As a side note: Fate Kaleid Ilya Prisma is in fact a magical girl anime despite being in the Type Moon universe, whereas everything else in the Type Moon universe falls under thriller or supernatural. DO NOT watch Fate/Stay Night and Tsukihime, as neither of those two anime were any good...which is sad since the source material is great.

Steins;Gate: Sci-fi drama, from the minds of Nitro+. This is one of their better offerings, where an unsuspecting scientist(?) discovers ways to Time Travel and uncovers a hidden plot. This is the best of the trio of semi-colon series from Nitro+, with Chaos;Head and Robotics;Notes also set in the same universe. I never watched Chaos;Head, but Robotics;Notes is pretty good with the exact same formula as S;G.

Noein: Speaking of science fiction, Noein is also pretty good. The visuals are quite outdated by now, but the storyline managed to grip me after a rather slow start. As always, there is a time traveling element to this series as well.

Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka (and KWZDK of the Dead): KlK is insanely stylish and over the top. KWZDK is insanely over the top with comedy and also thrives on the similar absurdities that is seen in KlK. For insance, there is a zombie man who is a magical girl in this series. Totally crazy shenanigans.

Yakitate Japan!: Bread-making anime. See notes on absurdities above.

Shiki: I saw some suggestions of horror (Another, Higurashi, Umineko), so check out Shiki. It's vampires done right. Truly frightful from beginning to end, but for different reasons by the end of the series.

Mawaru Penguindrum: The series lays it pretty heavy on you at the beginning to set the tone for this series, and it's crucial for it to be this case in the psychological genre. This series does thrive, at least early on, on absurdities, but really gets deep into the main characters abotu midway into the series. This is more of a drama with comedic elements in the earlier half of the series than a thriller like Monster, though.

Durarara: Someone recommended Baccano!. I'll put Durarara in here as well, since it's very similar, and made by the same studio.

Ikajo

Oct 31, 2013
My recommendation is to check this site out:http://anilinkz.com/ and just go wild with the random bottom, sooner or later you find something to your liking. You can also use genres to look for specific kinds of anime. I do that a lot.

Otherwise I recommend the following:

Magi
Sword art online (it's quite popular right now)
Log Horizon
Kaze no Stigma
Slayer, Slayers Next, Slayers Try ect.
Kyou kara maou
Dragonball Kai (Don't watch the english dub of Dragonball, worst ever!)
Ichiban ushiro maou

Otherwise, just go crazy on the random bottom, sooner or later.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Watch more of One Piece. Things get better later on, after the arc in Alabasta.

Or watch Fairy tail. Rave Master is from the same maker as Fairy tail, and they're very similar to each other. I personally prefer Fairy Tail though.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
If you're in the mood for random goofball comedy, watch Nichijou. It's really more of a "clip" show, as in 'watch clips of it on Youtube and you'll likely get the same experience', but it's one of the more talented shows out there today.
Quoted for Truth. I don't usually care for high-school comedies, but this one has a ton of heart and the talent to back it up.

OT: Puella Magi Madoka Magica. It's the best magical girl show to come out in... ever. No, I will not stop talking about it.

Hey, Black Lagoon's OVA just got an english release, so go watch the original series and that and make sure to WATCH IT IN ENGLISH DUB.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Story said:
Can anyone recommend me an anime that has an end already, particularly dramas with interesting characters or that subvert genres?
For a reference, I tend to like anime like Wolf's Rain, Death Note, Trigun, and The Count of Monte Cristo.

As for you OP, I pretty much recommend the things I just listed above.
And anything from Satoshi Kon (Paprika, Perfect Blue, and Paranoia Agent)
Anohana is an 11 episode drama series that wraps everything up nicely. Although a movie just came out in Japan, I have no idea how they are going to make that work from the ending of the series. The movie isn't subbed yet so I can't watch it :(

It's a great short little series though, I highly recommend it.

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
Death Note is a must watch. If you're enjoying Kill la Kill (I really am), then Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt will be likewise for you.

Although it's a video game and not a TV show, The Song of Saya is a great game in anime style.