An antagonist that you absolutely loathe

quantum mechanic

Jul 8, 2009
Carboncrown said:
Swyftstar said:
Carboncrown said:
This thread has a curious lack of Game of Thrones.

I'm not sure he counts as an antagonist but... you-know-who.
Most of the people in that book are loathesome. You are gonna have to be more specific.
I suppose
But the mountain just... lacks a personality to really hate. Jamie and Cersei at least aren't sadistic, and the later books humanize them even more. Joffrey on the other hand has no redeeming qualities, and c'mon, he killed my nigga Ned.

Besides that, I don't remember any major characters being loathesome. Maybe Lady Arryn, but she just went bonkers with the whole poisoning of her husband and a sickly child.
I admit to only having read all of the first two books (reading A Storm of Swords now), but...
while Joffrey is eminently punchable (thanks, Tyrion!), the person really responsible for Ned's downfall/death was Littlefinger, Mr. "Not trusting me was the smartest thing you've done." Joffrey, to me, comes across as a scared kid who only knows how to show strength by being a bully. Littlefinger looks at Ned and thinks, "What a noble person. I'm going to destroy him."

Edit from right before posting (after writing the above):
HOLY SHIT, I hate the Freys. And Roose Bolton. Fuck those guys. I'm off to cry in a corner.

onewheeled

Aug 4, 2009
Darrell from Neil LaBute's play The Distance From Here.

That was such an odd, utterly disturbing play.. Darrell was one of the main characters, but it was absolutely impossible to like him. Hell, the same is true for just about every character in the show: the way they treated each other, their mannerisms, their motives.. I hated every single character (which actually worked to the play's advantage somehow, I can't really explain how), but Darrell was the worst by far.

Also, Jack from Lord of the Flies by William Golding. Fuck that guy.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Well from "The Last Airbender" I bloody loathe Azula from that series. Yeah I know she's powerful and smart and shit but she's a utterly unrepentant ***** to me. I know they try to hammer in that sob story of her father twisting her but she's just evil and no back story will make me see other wise. The thing that kills me is in the end she doesn't have to pay for her crimes or anything, she pretty much get's off scott free. Pretty much she and the thugs from the Battlestar Pegasus on "Battlestar Galactica" are the only villians that really get my blood boiling.

And well the next one isn't an antagonist but he frakking should have been. Trooper Cuu from the amazing "Gaunts Ghost's" series of books in the Warhammer 40K verse. He's a ex-ganger who got pressed into service after a battle and he's just a fucking monster across the board. After hearing about the awful crimes he does in the books it's gonna be a ***** to read "The Saint" omnibus till he get's what he has coming to him.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
sravankb said:
Other than that, I'd say
Colonel Hans Landa from Inglorious Basterds. He didn't die, but the bastard (hehe) got what came to him.
Maybe I'm just crazy but I didn't mind him so much. Don't get me wrong, he's an evil son of a ***** who got what came to him but he made me chuckle once or twice during the movie, namely with that huge pipe of his.

For me it takes alot to get really angry at a villian in a book/game/movie/tv show (see my post to see the two/three that really get my blood going). Hell, there was one sneaky bastard from "The New Jedi Order" that kept doing just utterly bastard deeds but didn't faze me and kinda cheered him on to see how he would get out of whatever mess he got into. Though I did enjoy the savage beatdown he got in the final book of the series. :D

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
Carboncrown said:
Well Bolton chap for one comes to mind. I can't wait for the next book simply for the possibility of seeing him impaled on at least one pike.

Hmm... all of a sudden I feel peckish. Maybe a pie? Yes, a pie will do nicely.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Joffrey Lannister. And Cersei too.

Also the antagonist from Oldboy. I felt genuine anger towards him during the conclusion, which I don't think had ever happened with regards to a fictional character before.

Gideon Graves, of Scott Pligrim fame. What a dick.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Some months ago I did a thread about characters that you love, hate, and love to hate. I mentioned one in there that fits the bill here. So, rather than retype that whole explanation, I'll just quote the relevant part here.

Saltyk said:
Character that I Hate: Cell from Dragonball Z
I hate him so much. Not because he is a villain. No, I hate him for his arrogance and sense of entitlement. First, Cell is proud of his strength. But he didn't earn it. He was created with cells from Goku, Vegeta, Picollo, Frieza, and even Tien and Krillen. He even gains a large amount of his power from absorbing people for their Ki, so that's not even his own. All of his techniques are developed from other people. And, in order to attain his perfect form, he had to absorb Androids 17 and 18. Yet despite all this, he's so proud of "his power". No, Cell, it's not your power. You just stole it from other people. When Vegeta had him on the ropes, he just became angry and belligerent. For that matter, when Gohan had him beaten after attaining Super Saiyan 2, Cell did the same thing. Going so far as to self destruct in an effort to kill them all. Yep, when things didn't go his way, he acted like a spoiled brat. And when he survived his own suicide, he came back and fired an aimless attack that killed Trunks. Pretty much just to be a dick. Honestly, I never really got his motivation. If he just wanted to test himself, he didn't have to threaten the planet. Goku would have happily fought him for the challenge. And why would he destroy the planet if no one could beat him, especially since he already believed himself to be the unbeatable superman (who throws a hissy fit when he loses)? Oh, yeah. Just to be a dick. God, I hate Cell.
You know it's true.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
At first I wasn't sure if I could think of anything and so I was simply going to leave the thread.

But then I remembered
The Illusive Man. And I remembered how he was convincing enough to make my full Paragon Shepard hand over the Collector Base to him instead of destroying it, even though every single one of my companions said it should be destroyed. It makes me feel so dirty, even now.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I hate most antoagonists..because they do bad things

hmmm probably cournel Autum from fallout 3, because he kills your dad..and the whole enclave thing, when the conversation came up..there was only one way to respond

"fuck you!"
"...no seriously, fuck YOU"

urahara75

Aug 21, 2010
Saltyk said:
*snipped*

Saltyk said:
Character that I Hate: Cell from Dragonball Z
I hate him so much. Not because he is a villain. No, I hate him for his arrogance and sense of entitlement. First, Cell is proud of his strength. But he didn't earn it. He was created with cells from Goku, Vegeta, Picollo, Frieza, and even Tien and Krillen. He even gains a large amount of his power from absorbing people for their Ki, so that's not even his own. All of his techniques are developed from other people. And, in order to attain his perfect form, he had to absorb Androids 17 and 18. Yet despite all this, he's so proud of "his power". No, Cell, it's not your power. You just stole it from other people. When Vegeta had him on the ropes, he just became angry and belligerent. For that matter, when Gohan had him beaten after attaining Super Saiyan 2, Cell did the same thing. Going so far as to self destruct in an effort to kill them all. Yep, when things didn't go his way, he acted like a spoiled brat. And when he survived his own suicide, he came back and fired an aimless attack that killed Trunks. Pretty much just to be a dick. Honestly, I never really got his motivation. If he just wanted to test himself, he didn't have to threaten the planet. Goku would have happily fought him for the challenge. And why would he destroy the planet if no one could beat him, especially since he already believed himself to be the unbeatable superman (who throws a hissy fit when he loses)? Oh, yeah. Just to be a dick. God, I hate Cell.
You know it's true.
You can thank the myriad of (former) antagonists and their own particular humbris(') being passed on to Cell for that. He was an amalgam of cells, and by extension, cellular memory (even though it doesn't work that way with earth/terrestrial-born biology, genetics, whatever but... just go with it :p) -- almost ALL of Cell's genetic "forefathers" were varying degrees of pedantically cocky, prideful, sadistic jerkass-ness when their cells were harvested for Cell. It's literally hard-coded into his blood.

OT: I've a tendency to go into a feral rage (think 28 Days/Weeks Later "rage") when I have to think, discuss, or otherwise rend attention to [a href="http://bleach.wikia.com/wiki/S%C5%8Dsuke_Aizen"]Aizen Sosuke[/a] from [a href="http://bleach.wikia.com/"]BLEACH[/a]. Seriously... how do you mess up such a masterfully-crafted, tightly-woven conspiracy like that? His sheer idiocy displayed during his siege of Fake Karakura Town easily earns him a spot on my "Greatest Dumbass Villians" list.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
sravankb said:
I agree with OP.

Medusa from Soul Eater was a monumental *****, from start to end. I wish her death was more painful and brutal, to be honest. Although, I have to say - how the heck did they did not notice that their school nurse was one of the most powerful witches ever? Her "disguise" was worse than Clark Kent's.
Soul Eater spoiler

They partially explained that, Medusa was using soul protect the entire time so all they saw was a human soul (I assume that a witch would show up as a human, they didn't say I suppose). With that, they never saw her before as a witch (she was in the clouds floating around when Crona and Maka fought) so she really didn't need a disguise.

Even with that, it seems that Professor Stein (in the running for my most favorite character ever!) knew that she was a witch, though I'm not sure why he never did anything. Part of his need of knowledge and/or his own madness perhaps? Anyway, I don't think I've ever been happier to see a fictional character get killed. The only thing that could have made it better is if Crona got to do it...

Batsu-sama

Jul 9, 2008
I'd say the one antagonist that I hate above all others would have to be Sakaki from the .hack//G.U games for the PS2

Crispin Freeman does a great job as his voice actor but there is something about Sakaki that makes me want to punch him in the face. REPEATEDLY.

UnendingLight

Dec 7, 2010
The Emperor from Gladiator.

He is such a little wimp backstabbing -BLARGH-

One of the few movie characters that I have truly despised, which I guess means they did some great acting!

He got what he deserved though, knife to the chest and forgotten from the pages of time.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Him... All I can think of at the time is anime examples right now...

Anyways, for Gundam 00

The elder brother is somewhat okay, the younger brother not that big of deal, but Nina? ***** desearved alot worse than what she got. Also, I would say the brothers desearved to die horrible deaths because they didnt try to stop her or punish her for what she did to louis' family.

Than the A-laws... I dont think I have to go through everything they did. I would say they were basically the nazi (in terms of evil) with giant robots.

And Finally Ribbons... fuck I dont even want to think about it now.

Oh, and another one, different anime

Light from Death Note. Just everything about him, and the fact he is actually considered the Protagonist irks me to no end.

dies, I just stopped watching as I was so hoping he would figure it out and get that smug fucker...

Carboncrown

Oct 17, 2009
mexicola said:
Carboncrown said:
Well Bolton chap for one comes to mind. I can't wait for the next book simply for the possibility of seeing him impaled on at least one pike.

Hmm... all of a sudden I feel peckish. Maybe a pie? Yes, a pie will do nicely.
quantum mechanic said:
*snip*

I admit to only having read all of the first two books (reading A Storm of Swords now), but...
while Joffrey is eminently punchable (thanks, Tyrion!), the person really responsible for Ned's downfall/death was Littlefinger, Mr. "Not trusting me was the smartest thing you've done." Joffrey, to me, comes across as a scared kid who only knows how to show strength by being a bully. Littlefinger looks at Ned and thinks, "What a noble person. I'm going to destroy him."

Edit from right before posting (after writing the above):
HOLY SHIT, I hate the Freys. And Roose Bolton. Fuck those guys. I'm off to cry in a corner.
The Freys and Boltons and whatnot were pretty insignificant in the first book, right? Been ages since I read the first one.

As far as Littlefinger goes,
Wasn't it Sansas confessing Neds plans to Cercei, what caused it to be too... inconvinient - and frustrating - for Littlefinger to back Ned up? Atleast he had nothing to gain by killing Ned, instead of sending him to the Wall.

Ned-and-his-honour-taking no wife as a man in black would leave Cat just as widowed. Exept of course without quite so much hate and even with some resentment towards Ned-and-his-honour for going with Robert - against her wishes - and ultimately allowing all this by being stuck up with his honour. At least that's what Littlefinger would be whispering...

Instead of just straight-up killing him, surely "proving" that the ser. honorable knight (whose brother once humiliated him and got him to be rejected) was infact the inferior choice would be the greatest victory of all.

Mr.PlanetEater

May 17, 2009
Irridium said:
The camera in third person games.

A true bastard, that one.
Aye I can attest to this, the camera be the leading cause of death amongst many a brave 3rd person game. Worst of all was that bleedin' summer of '96, aye I lost a lot of good Marios to that foul beast. *takes drag from corncob pipe*