An Assassin's Creed Movie VR Experience is Coming to Select Theaters

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
An Assassin's Creed Movie VR Experience is Coming to Select Theaters

The closest most of us will get to standing next to Michael Fassbender.

Back in March, Ubisoft revealed [https://twitter.com/Ubisoft/status/709551539891752964] that an Assassin's Creed virtual reality experience "based on the film" would be coming this year, with Matthew Lewis, president of Practical Magic VR and director of VR experiences, quick to point out that the experience was "not a game" during AMD's GDC press conference. Today, AMD and Alienware announced that they have teamed up with 20th Century Fox and New Regency for the Assassin's Creed Movie VR Experience, which will premiere tonight at The Game Awards, that will take viewers "into the world of the Spanish inquisition through the lens of an Assassin." The "experience" was filmed on-location alongside the Assassin's Creed movie's filming.

From December 2nd through January 1st, select AMC theaters in San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York City, and Austin will feature the VR experience. Each participating location - six in total - will be equipped with free Oculus Rift kiosks for viewers to experience the short video. In addition, it will be released for free starting today through Oculus Video, on Samsung Gear [https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/926562347437041/] headsets, and will appear on Facebook as a 360-degree video.

"The 'Assassin's Creed' Movie VR Experience is a thrilling piece of virtual reality that will excite aficionados of the game, fans of the movie and newcomers alike," said Roy Taylor, AMD Corporate Vice President, Content, Alliances, and VR. "We are delighted to team up with Fox and are excited to demonstrate how world-class VR can be produced and experienced on AMD technology."

"We are thrilled at the opportunity to team up with AMD and Alienware to launch an immersive and dynamic VR Experience for our Assassin's Creed movie," said Zachary Eller, Senior Vice President, Marketing Partnerships, 20th Century Fox. "The live VR Experience allows fans to experience the world of an Assassin in the setting of the highly anticipated film."

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Lizzy Finnegan said:
"The 'Assassin's Creed' Movie VR Experience is a thrilling piece of virtual reality that will excite aficionados of the game, fans of the movie and newcomers alike...
AC has "aficionados"? What's that, a euphemism for people with terrible taste in gaming? Arf! Etc...

I've still never seen a film in 3D, so this sounds like the exact opposite kind of experience I intend on having. Still, I suppose they needed some gimmick with no new AC game coming out this year.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
If they're using gimmicks like this, the movie can't be that good.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Observe but not interfere? Some of the VR experiences like that are OK but unless it's fully shot in 3D or given some sort of actual gameplay, this will not come close to the experience people really want from the franchise.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
This seems more an excuse to show off VR to more people. Im ok with that.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
This may be partly anxiety based, but I'd rather not sit in a darkened public room full of strangers with a huge noisy distraction taped to my face.