An epic rant of epic proportions -_-_-_- Graphics over Gameplay? Why?

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
zhoomout said:
I was told that because I took my N64 to uni instead of a Wii, I was antisocial (because one of my mates wanted to play Super Smash Brothers Brawl). Umm, hello? Some of my fave splitscreen games ever were for the N64! I only wish I could've taken my SNES with me too.
...Goldeneye...

goin-mad

Oct 24, 2008
I agree with kitten, we play games for the game! Football isn't fun because of the shiny uniforms, it's the rush of running around the field and scoring a goal. I, personally, would be satisfied with the last generation of graphics (FFX and MGS2:SoL looked good) as long as developers took time to come up with good gameplay mechanics or original stories.

Dramatic Flare

Frightening Frolicker
Jun 18, 2008
Unfortunately, you're preaching to the choir. I agree with you, though.
Now go post it on, say Newgrounds.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
avykins said:
God I love Tombi. PSX truly was the golden age of gaming. Everything now is ultra realistic and utterly forgetable. I would rather play the original GTA over any of the others. Btw wtf happened to my Tenchu series ? The first two were amazing and I spent ages finding the exact path through each level to not get seen once. Nowadays the enemy AI is soo fucked up stealth is next to impossible. *cracks open PSX collection*
OMG YAY! I have Syndicate Wars!

*EDIT* Anyone remember Twisted Metal 2: World Tour ? God that game was fun. Last Twisted Metal game I played was TM: Black. Trying to make all the cars handle realistically and giving the game a dark (impossible to see) theme.
Ah yes, syndicate wars, wonderful game.

crimson5pheonix said:
EcksTeaSea said:
crimson5pheonix said:
smallharmlesskitten said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Yes, I must agree with you. On my list of importance to gaming, graphics is pretty low watch.

1. Story for god sake!
2. Gameplay innovation, let's take portal for our example. That is the epitome of innovation.
3. Interesting characters, like in Penny Arcade: On the Rain-slick Precipace of Darkness.
4. Sound, especially for horror games, good ambient noise can make or break a game.
5. Graphics, it is nice to have a shiny game, but no all-important.

But you see boycotting could lead to some big problems with the current economic state. So maybe if everyone kept spamming the companies instead, that might work.
I was actually tossing this around with a group of friends.

Possibly make a giant petition to stop Securom and stop EA from releasing the same game every year
Madden is high up on my list of "games to kill finally"
In truth id like to see Spore get killed before they start pumping out expansions every year with only a little new content like with Sims 2
That's on the list too, just very low because you never know, it might do something good. Unlikely, but they haven't sullied themselves.
Actually, I think they might be adding a marine phase which should be ggod if they actually take the time to make it GOOD!

Prozoquel

May 14, 2008
While what you're saying is nothing especially new, and has actually been ranted about dozens of times on this site, I still understand the need you felt to rant about this kind of stuff. Personally, I always like to compare Earthbound to any generic RPG you'd find today, just to show how much more innovative, creative, and all around better Earthbound was, even though it was for the SNES, which means that some douche-bags would consider it unplayable today. There are times where I wonder why I even upgraded to the next gen, when all the games that have left lasting impressions on me were from the PS2, N64, PSX, SNES, and NES.

Abtinx

Nov 6, 2008
crimson5pheonix said:
Altorin said:
if they are at odds, gameplay will win every single time.

there's no contest.
For some people that is not always the case... I know a few people who refuse to touch any game that was made before the PS2... pillocks
Why do you associate with those people? Why do you even know those undeserving whippersnappers! They should be put into a gutter somewhere.
The biggest mistake any game developer can make is to sacrifice gameplay for graphics, what do you want to do personally? Play a game or watch a DVD? Gameplay is paramount but not everything

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
Because years ago every game was a sparkling paragon of design masterwork.

There were never any milked franchises. Ever.

What Spiro game are we up to now?

smallharmlesskitten

Not David Bowie
Apr 3, 2008
Ultrajoe said:

Spyro isn't mentioned but the 'Classic' Spyro's made by their original dev's were not milked. Another Dev went... "We'll fuck that up!!!"

Isaac Dodgson

The Mad Hatter
May 11, 2008
EcksTeaSea said:
My guess is on Far Cry 2, but some developers could be focused on developing games more on gameplay rather than graphics, but the companies the work for probably see it as they would lose more money than making a profit.
Cookie's all around!

... Except for you, Crimson. You guessed wrong, you get an dried out oatmeal cookie.

Prozoquel

May 14, 2008
Ultrajoe said:

Of course there have always been milked franchises, and that trend looks like it will continue forever (Call of Duty, anyone?) And back in the day there were a lot of shitty games too. As in, A WHOLE LOT of shitty games. But IMHO game developers back then were a lot more inspired to create games, and when I play some of those old gems it just feels like way more work was put into them than what I see today. I dunno, that's just my take on it.

poleboy

May 19, 2008
Gameplay is an arbitrary asset that you only learn to appreciate or even register when you're a veteran in the gaming world. New gamers (of which there have been a lot in later years) see only graphics and "fun factor". The way people play games, and the entire concept of what makes a game has also changed a lot since "the good ol' days". Look at Rock Band and stuff like that.

Dramatic Flare

Frightening Frolicker
Jun 18, 2008
ninjablu said:
tempting... Or the EA forums.. that would be fun!
I have a gut instinct that posting that rant in EA forums would result in your taxes getting audited on the same day you win a million dollars.
just to really screw up your finances for-, well, ever.

smallharmlesskitten

Not David Bowie
Apr 3, 2008
ninjablu said:
ninjablu said:
I have a gut instinct that posting that rant in EA forums would result in your taxes getting audited on the same day you win a million dollars.
I'm not American. My taxes are taken 'As I earn' I pay 15c for every dollar I earn

Mr_Czar

Nov 19, 2008
Well, developers are, understandably afraid to take risks. Or should I say publishers are afraid to put up the money to back those risks. With development costs as high as they are I can see how they might want to hedge their bets.

On the other hand, we have Brutal Legend, a game that, from what I understand is mostly complete but was unreleased because it could not be franchised until the cows came home.

Dramatic Flare

Frightening Frolicker
Jun 18, 2008
ninjablu said:
ninjablu said:
I'm not American. My taxes are taken 'As I earn' I pay 15c for every dollar I earn
Well, you lucky bast- I mean non-American.

Tattaglia

Aug 12, 2008
This is so much better than reading Halo 3: Recon forums... actually, anything is better than reading that cesspool of internet failure and "hai gais wil dis main char teem up wit teh arbitr or mstr cheef lol?". *shudders*

Oh, and great rant. Totally agree with every word. In fact, you're my new leader. Where to next, mein kommandant?

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Graphics over Gameplay? Why?

My answers.

1. It's a mystary. Good graphics are pretty to look at so just enjoy teh games.

2. If you hire a lot of art people to work on a game then are not going to be happy with their work unless it looks good to them.

3. A significant group of people tend to buy games that push the limits in terms of graphics. Because this group gets their needs more reliably met than other groups they tend to be a large segment of the "core" group of gamers who regularly buy games.

Points 2&3 are supported by the massive complaints by gamers and industry people that Wii is selling so well despite lack of graphical fidelity and genuine puzzlement at the relative failure of games like Shenmue.