An In-Person Ass Kicking

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
An In-Person Ass Kicking

Winning in online multiplayer is great, but Tom is pretty sure that beating your friends and watching them cry in person is even better.

BillBarilko

May 6, 2008
Great article - I couldn't agree more. I have fond memories of long nights of beer, bong hits, and Super Mario Kart, NHL 93, Street Fighter II, and Mortal Kombat with my roommate and our mates. Sometimes the loser was appointed joint roller (I've become an expert at rolling cones because of that).

At some point in the evening, between all the smack talk, somebody would inevitably chime in, "Why aren't there any girls here?" None of us really gave a shit - girls were outside the flat; we were in our early twenties and in no hurry to get into anything remotely resembling a serious commitment. Though maybe that's easy for me to say - I've never really had any problems in that area (ok, that sounds arrogant, but it's true).

Anyway, yeah, very well written piece, and very true. All my mp gaming is done with strangers these days. I miss the contact you're talking about. (**EDIT** I just joined a multigaming clan full of great people, so it's made COD4 mp far more enjoyable, but it still isn't the same)

None of my friends ever cried, but man, did we all ever freak out on those SNES and Sega Genesis controllers when things didn't go our way... Good times.

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
I miss the days of Halo 2 LAN, in my friend's basement, screen looking was fair game, and I was still zues with a sniper rifle.

ForrestDixon

Jan 9, 2009
Hunde Des Krieg said:
I miss the days of Halo 2 LAN, in my friend's basement, screen looking was fair game, and I was still zues with a sniper rifle.

I remember those days. When we were at somones house for boyscouts that was the only real time I was glad I was in it. I didnt even like Halo I just liked the multiplayer in it.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Yeah I totally agree. I play on Live plenty, but there's always more thrill (wayyy more) when playing with friends (in person, in a party it's only upped mildly not exponentially).

"I noted that anonymous multiplayer gaming is a lot like anonymous sex, without the disease."
^lol good one

Spacelord

May 7, 2008
You just reminded me how much I miss velcro shoes. Assuming you're American: did you guys also have those shoes with the lights in the soles? 'cause I really miss those.

Anyway: I agree wholeheartedly. The online experience doesn't provide the kind of interpersonal contact everyone really wants: this explains LAN-parties.

Also, I really like your writing style. :D Though I have the feeling you left a few loose ends in your narrative, it was really catchy. But, then again, maybe that's because I have precious memories of Diablo 1.

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
Definately agree.

I can remember many matches played over the years involving one to three other players and a couch. All the way from SF2's first release on consoles to SF4. With noteworthy stuff like Killer Instinct, Golden Eye, Mario Kart, Virtua Tennis (a game which frustrates me no end) and Secret of Mana in between.

Of all the years of online gaming I can recall perhaps two or three noteworthy moments and the rest is all a haze (no pun intended, but when I think about it, it's a pretty good pun really).

dwightsteel

Feb 7, 2007
I'm glad you "let" Ng win, but I'm not ever gonna get that winner badge. How could you Tom. How could you....

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Tom, Tom, Tom. I just don't know what to say. Velcro shoes? Come on man, slip ons! All the ease of velcro but much cooler. It's the way forward my friend.

Excellent article, I don't really enjoy online multiplayer but god damn it, I'd cancel nearly any plan to have an all night LAN party, those were truly the best days.
I was king with a sniper in Blood Gulch.

Maybe I should incorporate a small LAN game into our next poker night? A plan methinks.

dcheppy

Dec 8, 2008
It's not multiplayer in less their in the room with you. It's just single-player with profanity. I've gone to great lengths to set up LAN left 4 dead because with the other people in the room it is at least 10 times more fun.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
I've had friendships almost end over Goldeneye. The f***ing spawn points are always the same and they always occur in the same sequence. Eventually you just have the one person who has memorized the map and the sequence and then they just tear you apart.

Also, I'm stealing that anonymous sex line.

Graham

Dec 5, 2008
Eagle Est1986 said:
I was king with a sniper in Blood Gulch.
That brings back all kinds of system link memories. Good times.

Tom, great article as always.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
Spacelord said:
You just reminded me how much I miss velcro shoes. Assuming you're American: did you guys also have those shoes with the lights in the soles? 'cause I really miss those.
[Off-topic] You're thinking of L.A. Gear shoes. The answer is yes[/off=topic]
I prefer to beat people where I can hear anguish, but it's a two-edged sword as some people are simply insufferable winners.

Spacelord

May 7, 2008
GyroCaptain said:
[Off-topic] You're thinking of L.A. Gear shoes. The answer is yes[/off=topic]
I prefer to beat people where I can hear anguish, but it's a two-edged sword as some people are simply insufferable winners.
You, sir, are a hero, and I am forever indebted to you.

I like beating people's asses at LAN-parties: trouble is, I'm only gosu at Starcraft. I almost made a guy cry once.
However, I'm pretty crap at FPS'es - which is the most commonly played game... So, I kinda got the short straw on that account. :)

Then on the other hand, I did almost made a kid cry...

7moreDead_v1legacy

Feb 17, 2009
Ah wonderfully written!

Many a wet Welsh day was spent gaming it up with my best mates - Be it beating each other on racing/fighting/shooting games to working out who needs the next health pack on co-op's nothing can beat gaming with others in the flesh!

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
I prefer offline because you can just give that look when you win, its cheaper, you can screen peak in coop and some other stuff.

Neesa

Jan 29, 2009
tendo82 said:
Winning in online multiplayer is great, but Tom is pretty sure that beating your friends and watching them cry in person is even better.
I couldn't agree more. I especially love kicking my boyfriend's ass and getting up to do a dance. It feels so good to hear him say, "Alright, let's have another round." I'll continue laughing and he'll get slightly serious. Oh, the look on his face is simply priceless. I won't even get started on kicking my dad's ass in video games....

shaderkul

Apr 19, 2009
I love the look on my best friend's face when I repeatedly kick his ass on PES: priceless. Then he goes on to say: " This pad is not good!" or "I'm not in the mood today"

He usually then returns the favor the next bout we have (more often than not, actually)and i react by cursing and throwing the game pad.........Fun times.