Analyst: Activison Could Have Charged More for Stimulus Pack

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Analyst: Activison Could Have Charged More for Stimulus Pack

Despite the criticism from fans for its hefty price tag, market analyst Jesse Divnich believes that Activision could have charged more for Modern Warfare 2's [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B00269QLI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278534701&sr=1-1] Stimulus Pack.

Fifteen bucks for five maps seems a lot, especially if only three of the five are actually new, but Jesse Divnich, a market analyst for Electronic Entertainment Design and Research, or EEDAR, says that Activison could have charged a lot more.

"The accepted commercial success benchmark for DLC for a console game is 20% of the install base," he said. "The Stimulus map pack was able to reach that benchmark in just a week, and should reach 30 - 35% through its lifetime."

"It is evident that 2.5 million Xbox Live players felt that $15 was either just right or a good bargain and given the enormous quantity sold, I'd argue that Activision could have charged more and still obtain the same results ... Of course the rate hike from $10 to $15 was met with many complaints from consumers, but the commercial success makes it evident that gamers felt the price tag was a good deal," he added.

Divnich makes a good point, people may have complained about the cost, but they still bought the pack anyway, suggesting that it's just a vocal minority making all the noise. I'm interested to hear what you guys think. Did you buy the Stimulus pack? If so, would you have paid for it if it had been more expensive?

Source: Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/news/modern-warfare-2-dlc-priced-too-low]

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
That's not really something to brag about. It's like if someone were to kill your dad and then say "look at the bright side, at least I didn't kill your mom, too". Yea, it's good that you didn't kill my mom, but you still killed my dad, you asshole.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Yeah it definitely should have been priced higher, to go with Activisions "be evil" policy.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Keep tugging at those strings, and it will all unravel. Hes missing the point of his own comment. "gamers felt the price tag was a good deal" THAT price tag, make them bigger and you'll find your equations don't match up.

cuddly_tomato

Nov 12, 2008
Activision must want to try their hand at farming.

That is the only reason I can think of for trying to get the entire gaming world to post turds to their front door. Seriously, pissing off your consumer base is never a good idea. It doesn't say a lot for gamers that Activision are blatantly ripping us off and yet remain in business.

Godavari

Aug 6, 2009
Well, I think it's a perfectly fair price. Halo 3 charged $10 for sets of three maps, which was fine, so five maps for $15 bucks, while not exactly a steal, is a pretty good value.

I haven't bought it yet, but that's just because, as an unemployed teenager, I lack the funds. I'll be getting it soon enough, though.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Of course the could have.. they could have charged $200 bucks for it if they wanted to as well, but it doesn't change the fact Activision is a greedy pile of overcharging shit.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Just another example of consumers moaning about the price while they wait in the queue to buy it

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
i didnt get it, and likely never will. it is to expensive. if dlc is over 5 bucks i wont pay for it. not worth it for no improvements.

ygetoff

Oct 22, 2008
I didn't buy it, and don't plan to. However, just as I have trouble finding people on LIVE who also refuse to use the nuke, I also have trouble finding people who haven't bought the pack.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
They could have charged anything they wanted, and people still would have bought it, its like a starcraft beta key, people will do anything to get it because its crack.

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
OT: Playing modern warfare two makes me want to start playing Farmiville...

Back on topic, I bought it, but simply because I had two accounts on my xbox360--long story, the synopsis is Microsoft customer service fail!--anyways I had 4000 point setting on one of them so I bought the pack. Just for the hey...

Should have saved my points

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
The analyst does know that they have a bad reputation for being money hungry right?

In the long run people would probably stop buying their games if they charge too much for everything right?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Of course they could charge more. Because, people love MW2 so much they would pay anything for it just because it has the name on it.

I still think it was too much, glad I dont lay online with it

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
You know what? Do it. Fuck it, make it $40. Fuck'em. You know why? BECAUSE THE PUBLIC LOVES IT.

That's right, the public loves the feeling of dick rammed right in their behinds:

"We're upping the price of the normal game... because we feel like it",
"We're treating you like subpar clients just because.",
"We're actually removing content from the game.",
"We're giving you rehashed shit for MOAR MONEY!".

"*The public whines*".
"*The Public buys*".
"It's super effective."

Either people are insanely stupid or they just love to take it. So fuck'em. Let's see how long they'll take it. Pump that shit up. Make games more expensive and shittier than ever. Make each old map 20 bucks minimum. Bleed'em dry. Maybe then they'll get some balls to say "no, I won't pay to be kicked in the nuts".

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Oh yeah, they certainly can. Nearly 0 content for a lot of $$ is a fair deal.

And people would still buy it.

THe only way to make them understand you dont approve, is by NOT buying their products. Money is the language they understand best.

Rathy

Aug 21, 2008
So, if I am reading this right, it is expected that only 30-35% of MW2 players will get the map pack. In sales, I see how this is a success, though its not too great when 65-70%, or about 2/3 of the people who play will not buy it.

Also, if I'm reading this right, it may be a vocal minority, but also a large minority that think this is worthwhile or enhances the game enough for the money.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
AkJay said:
That's not really something to brag about. It's like if someone were to kill your dad and then say "look at the bride side, at least I didn't kill your mom, too". Yea, it's good that you didn't kill my mom, but you still killed my dad, you asshole.
That is either a terrible spelling error or a hilariously grim pun.

OT: I really hope they don't keep jacking up prices. They keep trying to push new price standards for consumers with MW2. There is only so far you can go without breaking that horse, and I have a feeling they are going to keep at it until it that horse just dies from exhaustion.