Analyst: Activison Could Have Charged More for Stimulus Pack

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
"see you're selling this crack rock for 10$, but you could sell it for at least 20$..and people will still pay for it"

analyst is code for "captain obvious"

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
No I did not. I will play you games but you will not rip me off with stupidly over priced dlc. I'd say I'd wait until it comes down in price but by then I'll be playing Reach and really won't care.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
I am gonna quote Dr.Ian Malcolm:

'Yeah, yeah but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should'. Maps should be IN THE GAME in the first place. This sounds like a threat to me. And no, I didn't buy this and I don't think I will.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
Novskij said:
The Analyst could also suck my dick.
I would second that, but he's a guy and I don't swing that way.

He's retarded for thinking that MW2 is simply "just another" game that fits neatly into common marketing trends. Wow, a whole 20% of the installed base paid for the map pack? Well I bet 75% of that base waited in line at midnight to get the game in the first place. Sure, there are 2.5 million asshats who don't appreciate the value of a dollar, but that means there are 10 million more people who think Activision should sit on it and rotate.

stormcrow5

Jul 9, 2008
bah, i did plan on maybe getting this DLC but then i played BFBC2 and never touched MW2 since. i do think they could have charged more for it tho judgein by the game and all the hype it got and they would have made way more money. personly tho i would rather play CoD4

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Bobby Kotick must be tearing his hair out over the extra money he doesn't have now.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'm really not sure which is worse: That I think they can get away with it, or that I'm completely unsurprised by the notion.

You know what, though? Good for them. Every MW2 player I know complained and every one of them purchased it and every one of them complains despite enjoying the extra maps. Someone has to push people to the breaking point, the point at which they will actually stop with the ridiculous purchases, and it might as well be Activision.

Actually, let me rephrase. I spend two bucks a pop on Rock Band tracks I want. I'm not going to tell people what is worth it or not, and "ridiculous" is subjective. But if you're going to whine and buy anyway, you're being ridiculous and you deserve what you get.

Makon

Jul 9, 2008
Let's not have this reach Activision's ears, or they might add price-hikes on future DLC and half-assed map packs to their "To be a douche bag" list.

Sh0ckFyre

Jun 27, 2009
I bought the Stimulus Package, expecting all five maps to stimulate my package (See what I did there?) in sheer glee. What I got was two maps, Bloc 2.0, and two maps from Call of Duty 4. ALL of the ten to twelve matches I've played to this day consisted of:

Running down a hall and getting shot by someone sitting in a corner with a shotgun,

Running down a hall with an open window and getting shot by a sniper,

Running from my spawn point to be bombarded by grenades,

Running to flank a sniper to get shot by three other snipers who have a perfectly good view of anyone who even so much as considers entering the open courtyard, but also set up claymores and teamed up with another fuckwit to create an impenetrable death fortress akin to Skeletor's castle.

But I wouldn't expect anything less from the biggest entertainment release of all time...

...Crash was pretty good though.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Gamers didn't feel it was a good deal, they just didn't want to be left behind when a part of the user base moved on to the new maps. I'm fairly certain nobody thought it was a "good deal". Also, "industry analyst" is generally a nicer way of saying "bullshit artist"...

_Nocturnal

Nov 4, 2006
Analyst: Activison Could Have Charged More for Stimulus Pack
That's some pretty good analyzing there.

Now let me try: Activision Could Have Just Bundled The Old Modern Warfare With A Map Pack For It And Sold That As The Sequel For Full Price.

I base that on the facts that:
a) The game's fanbase is quite large.
b) Activision's got a marketing department.

See, there must be some stupid people in a fanbase this big, right?
And even if the overall percentage of stupid people is low, they would still be a pretty large number, right?
And stupid people can be easily fooled, right?
Well...

...who has my analyst's paycheck?

GuideBot

Feb 25, 2010
I did not buy the map pack at it's present cost. I would not buy it if it cost any more. This is the first I've said of it, but I think the price point was a rip-off. I don't think it's a vocal minority making fuss, I just think most gamers (like me) are too lazy / morally lax to bother making a fuss. $15 for 3 new maps and two old? Jeebus. Geometry wars cost me between 4-800ms points. If something isn't going to match that for entertainment value, or look like it tries to come close, then JUST NO.

Furthermore, it fairly well enrages me that some analyst think that just because the 20% uptake was reached rapidly and looks set to be exceeded substantially, that people think it was priced right or was a bargain. THEY JUST WANT TO PLAY THE NEW MAPS. If it's within their means, especially if their friends have it, then they'll likely get it. They all know it's a rip-off, but they lump it and make do, because there's no choice. Sometimes, I know I'm being ripped off (e.g. buying snacks at train stations) but I just make do because it's there.

Yes, you could charge more, and most of these people would still buy-in. This is a niche market; these DLC products aren't bread or water, people don't need them to survive; people buy them because they are enthusiastic about them and they choose to. It's like with Porche cars. People who want a porche choose to buy one, not because they need one but because they are enthusiastic (for whatever reason) about high performance, stylish cars, and for that they are prepared to pay a premium; this defines niche goods. . This means that, to an extent not applicable to other products, the price is less of a factor in determining purchase than say, petrol or bread.

This doesn't mean people think its a bargain or priced right, or even that they don't notice they're being ripped off.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Caliostro said:
You know what? Do it. Fuck it, make it $40. Fuck'em. You know why? BECAUSE THE PUBLIC LOVES IT.

That's right, the public loves the feeling of dick rammed right in their behinds:

"We're upping the price of the normal game... because we feel like it",
"We're treating you like subpar clients just because.",
"We're actually removing content from the game.",
"We're giving you rehashed shit for MOAR MONEY!".

"*The public whines*".
"*The Public buys*".
"It's super effective."

Either people are insanely stupid or they just love to take it. So fuck'em. Let's see how long they'll take it. Pump that shit up. Make games more expensive and shittier than ever. Make each old map 20 bucks minimum. Bleed'em dry. Maybe then they'll get some balls to say "no, I won't pay to be kicked in the nuts".
I think I love you

OT: Yes they could have charged more but they would have lost even more sales. Surely the point of more multiplayer maps is that they are cheap so you can play against a lot of people, not just the other few suckers who paid for it

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
I didn't buy the game in the first place because of the initial price hike and removal of features in the PC version. Instead I preordered BF:BC2 for half the price of MW2 and haven't looked back ever since.
Competition, always a good thing.

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
soon as i read "activison could have charged more" i instantly though " and the idiot masses would have paid for it"