Analyst: Black Ops Could Sell 12 Million Copies

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Analyst: Black Ops Could Sell 12 Million Copies

Market analyst Evan Wilson has upped his prediction for the next Call of Duty's sales figures, but doesn't think it will beat Modern Warfare 2.

It's never easy having an older brother, and it's even harder when he's incredibly successful and everyone loves him. This is pretty much the situation that Call of Duty: Black Ops [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Xbox-360/dp/B003JVKHEQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278856774&sr=8-1 ] finds itself in, having to follow Modern Warfare 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B00269QLI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278856820&sr=1-1 ], a game which became the biggest media launch in history when it was released last year. But while Pacific Crest analyst Evan Wilson isn't expecting lightning to strike twice, he still sees great things in Black Ops' future.

Wilson has increased his previous estimate for Black Ops' holiday sales by 20%, from 10 million to 12 million copies. The increase is based on the number of pre-orders, which according to Pacific Crest's retail sources are higher for Black Ops then they were for Modern Warfare 2 at the same point before release. Despite his revised projection, however, Wilson doesn't believe that Black Ops will beat its predecessor's sales figures, citing "competition, weaker marketing, and the Infinity Ward situation" as the primary factors for this.

Call of Duty: Black Ops is due to be released PC, PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii on November 9th.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29372/Analyst_Call_Of_Duty_Black_Ops_To_Sell_12M_As_Preorders_Outpace_MW2.php]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
As much as I love Treyarch's CoD games...I'm all CoD'd out for a few years. Unless there is suddenly a massive overhaul to the basic multiplayer structure, I don't want to play the same MP I've been playing for 3 games (CoD 4, WaW, MW2). Not to mention they removed the campaign co-op, and I really don't understand taking a step BACKWARDS from your previous game in such a way.

Also...that little "situation" with IW is going to a negative effect. How much of one? Not much. Do you really think the massive amount of 12-17 year olds begging for this game for the holidays care about that?

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
As much as I love Treyarch's CoD games...I'm all CoD'd out for a few years. Unless there is suddenly a massive overhaul to the basic multiplayer structure, I don't want to play the same MP I've been playing for 3 games (CoD 4, WaW, MW2).

Also...that little "situation" with IW. Way to understate.
But wasn't MW2 sold on it's multiplayer rather than story and Black Ops is getting more of a focus on story?
Although I do agree that it's very unlikely that this will get anywhere near the sales of MW2, considering that a lot of people still play MW2 as their sole multiplayer game

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I cant see how anyone will be surprised that a COD game will sell big, but I do have a bit more faith in Treyarch to get it right, maybe they could even add in something we havnt seen before? Only time will tell I guess.

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
Which IW situation are you talking about. The fact that there's hardly any of them, the fact that the ones that are left are too lazy to patch the game or the fact that they're all greedy bastards?

2up

Jun 15, 2009
Does anyone really care about these analyst's predictions aside from shareholders? As a gamer, I sure don't.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
silverbullet1989 said:
least i can buy this for pc since treyarch havent screwed the pc community over with a shiity console port
Shitty port? You mean like MW2's lack of dedicate... oh, I see what you did there. Even if you didn't mean to.

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
What Black Ops needs is some good old fashioned American controversy. You know the kind. Give players the ability to napalm villages at their discretion and have them walk through the black charred remains to get to your next objective.

There. Now add some Nixon references, and some racism and you'll have a sales boost to rival Manhunt.

More Apocalypse Now, less Platoon.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Can someone tell me who Evan Wilson is and why we should take his opinion seriously?

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
ive always liked treyarch's atempts... the first one i really played was cod 3 on the xbox 360 and to me it was great... like a console version of united offensive (the best cod game imo) and im back to playing codwaw atm... really enjoy it more then the mondern warfare games

rated pg

Aug 21, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Not to mention they removed the campaign co-op, and I really don't understand taking a step BACKWARDS from your previous game in such a way.
I thought they were adding back in coop campaign for Black Ops? 4 player unless I'm mistaken...

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Stranger of Sorts said:
Which IW situation are you talking about. The fact that there's hardly any of them, the fact that the ones that are left are too lazy to patch the game or the fact that they're all greedy bastards?
The first one. I don't even think the second one is true, seeing how 74% of designers and scripters are gone and 80% of engineers are gone. So, they might not be as lazy as they can't do it.
Onyx Oblivion said:
and I really don't understand taking a step BACKWARDS from your previous game in such a way.
Well, it's not a step backwards to everyone.
For example, while I found the coop campaign pretty good in WaW, it was only good because it was co-op, the single player campaign unimpressed me. The other problems with it were that the campaign left the story intact for coop - and that meant that I had to watch the same bloody dialogues over and over again.
On the other hand, I found the MW2 campaign more enjoyable and found the coop as good.
So, Onyx, please don't be so categorical next time.
OT: Well, I hope he's right, despite the fact that I'm horribly pissed at Activision, I want Treyarch to succeed.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
No CoD for me this time. You kicked PS3 players when you decide to give us an inferior version. BC Vietnam expansion looks more interesting than more of the same that is the CoD series.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
I don't doubt they can reach that number, saying a COD game won't sell is like saying Valve will release HL3 tomorrow