Analyst Predicts Wii Outselling Wii U

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Analyst Predicts Wii Outselling Wii U

Steady Wii sales might hurt Nintendo in the next console generation.

Though the Wii U still has no release date or price, Nintendo may be hoping to sell about four million of its next console by the end of the current fiscal year, which ends in March 2013. In its first-quarter financial report, Nintendo predicted that it would ship 10.5 million Wii and Wii U consoles by March, causing analysts to speculate about how many of those sales would be attributed to the Wii U.

According to IHS Screen Digest lead analyst Piers-Harding Rolls, about 6.5 million of Nintendo's projected console sales will be for the Wii. This is based on recent sales numbers, as well as the fact that the Wii traditionally sells best during the holiday season. That leaves about four million sales for the Wii U before the end of fiscal 2012, which would be a great achievement. Though it depends on "launch price and timing," Rolls thinks that Nintendo can pull it off.

Rolls also believes that the Wii U won't be as successful as its predecessor. "In general, my outlook is that Wii U console sales will not replicate the success of the Wii. Aside from more intense competition from various other connected devices, the Wii U second-screen dynamic is a more complex consumer proposition compared to the Wii and is much harder to market." The analyst also points out that if the Wii continues to sell at a steady pace, it could actually cannibalize Wii U sales.

Considering the Wii's insane popularity, it would be tough for any console to match that kind of achievement. However, if the Wii U does sell four million units worldwide between its launch and next March, Nintendo will have a great start to the next console generation. Of course, for the Wii U to sell units, it has to have a launch date, so how about it, Nintendo?

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/360026/wii-u-projected-to-sell-4m-units-by-march-2013/]

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
cursedseishi said:
And sure, there's some big named titles coming out for Wii-U, but its all just ports of games people would of been playing for months already (at least for some).
But they will include compulsory touch-screen gimmick additions! How is that a bad thing?

(yes, I'm being facetious.)

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
I imagine all sorts of parents that will misunderstand their child's wish for a Wii-U and purchase the cheaper Wii at their local Wal-Mart.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
cursedseishi said:
And sure, there's some big named titles coming out for Wii-U, but its all just ports of games people would of been playing for months already (at least for some).
What about Pikmin 3? ZombiU? Project P-1000? Nintendo Land? New Super Mario Bros U? Tank! Tank! Tank!? And others? Those aren't re-releases...

OT: That would be nice. I'm hoping it does sell it's 4 Million by March. I'm definitely buying one for Christmas.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
I await the catastrophic failure of the WiiU with bated breath and a lip bit giddiness.

About time Nintendo stopped making money from gimmicks and dead horses. Sorry, Babylon, your time has come.

wolfniggr

Jul 26, 2012
To DVS BSTrD

What are you talking about? Of course the wii u has motion controls. As a matter of fact, you can use all the existing wii controllers on the U. Even the touch pad controller has motion sensors.

Not that this is anything special, I just wanted to let you know you were mistaken.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
wolfniggr said:
To DVS BSTrD

What are you talking about? Of course the wii u has motion controls. As a matter of fact, you can use all the existing wii controllers on the U. Even the touch pad controller has motion sensors.

Not that this is anything special, I just wanted to let you know you were mistaken.
I believe that he meant it in a sarcastic fashion as a shot at how Nintendo marketed the hell out of motion controls with the Wii and then gave up on them almost completely pretty much after that embarrassment of an E3 showing with Wii Music. I can't name 5 1st party Nintendo titles besides Skyward Sword that have used motion controls besides a minimal use just to remind you that its there.

The Wii U seems to be looking like more of the same, we're seeing very little non gimmick use of the tablet controller.

P.S. Welcome to the escapist, I'd like to start a pool to see how fast your screen name gets you banned.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
I don't see why people say that Nintendo only markets gimmicks.

So when Nintendo does something that is new, and innovative to the industry (even might give us more then push button, and move stick to make other things die) they are called gimmicky, but when Microsoft steals that idea halfheartedly (half the accuracy, and a microphone they could have put on the controller) they are propped up on the shoulder of the industry, and called innovators, and cool.

Huh. makes perfect sense.

So when will analysts start calling Microsoft gimmicky for Smart Glass(wait for it, wait for it)

off topic:
AzrealMaximillion said:
wolfniggr said:
P.S. Welcome to the escapist, I'd like to start a pool to see how fast your screen name gets you banned.
my question is what were the names this person through out to come up with that one?

wolfniggr

Jul 26, 2012
AzrealMaximillion said:
wolfniggr said:
To DVS BSTrD

I believe that he meant it in a sarcastic fashion as a shot at how Nintendo marketed the hell out of motion controls with the Wii and then gave up on them almost completely pretty much after that embarrassment of an E3 showing with Wii Music. I can't name 5 1st party Nintendo titles besides Skyward Sword that have used motion controls besides a minimal use just to remind you that its there.

The Wii U seems to be looking like more of the same, we're seeing very little non gimmick use of the tablet controller.

Wow, you got all that out of that post. I myself try to stray away from written sarcasm. It doesn't translate very well unless you directly or cleverly indirectly make it obvious.

I beleive every first party wii game implemented motion controls.

Thanks for the warm welcome and your hopes that I get banned. You made me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Like what I did there.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
With a name like that, I can only think of this:

OT: I really don't know what to expect from the Wii U. It has potential, but so did the Wii. Then the Wii became about appealing to those less invested in gaming. The fact that Nintendo isn't dropping the name of Wii, a name I might add is mud with those who are invested in gaming, doesn't make think they are looking to change much about their strategy.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
gardian06 said:
I don't see why people say that Nintendo only markets gimmicks.

So when Nintendo does something that is new, and innovative to the industry (even might give us more then push button, and move stick to make other things die) they are called gimmicky, but when Microsoft steals that idea halfheartedly (half the accuracy, and a microphone they could have put on the controller) they are propped up on the shoulder of the industry, and called innovators, and cool.

Huh. makes perfect sense.

So when will analysts start calling Microsoft gimmicky for Smart Glass(wait for it, wait for it)
Motion controls aren't new. (See the Power Glove, Eye Toy, NES Power pad, NES U-force, Sega Activator) They've been around for 30 years, and gimmicky every time. The Wii is no different. It's motion controls weren't very accurate at all. Look at why people bought the Wii in the first place. It was cheap, and had motion controls. The motion controls saw less use as the Wii aged. Even a lot of Nintendo's 1st party games used the motion controls in a very minimal fashion. Like come on, how many games featured just a 'waggle' feature and nothing else? Even with the Wii Motion Plus, very little of the later Wii games use the motion controls at all. Its a gimmick, simple and plain. If it were a feature it would've been used more often and actually innovated how gaming is played, but as it stands right now the majority of gamers are still having their asses planted on couches with controllers in their hands. Some innovation.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
wolfniggr said:
I beleive every first party wii game implemented motion controls.
Like I said, very minimally, which is sad considering Nintendo upsold the hell out of motion controls to begin with.

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
Mr.Mattress said:
cursedseishi said:
What about Pikmin 3? ZombiU? Project P-1000? Nintendo Land? New Super Mario Bros U? Tank! Tank! Tank!? And others? Those aren't re-releases...

OT: That would be nice. I'm hoping it does sell it's 4 Million by March. I'm definitely buying one for Christmas.
The initial launch sales will mostly be a success due to Nintendo Fans but the regular consumers who first got into gaming though the Wii have already abandoned it so getting them back from smartphones and tablet PCs WILL be a challenge but the sales momentum will die off probably within the same month of release due to:

A) Core gamers are looking forward to OTHER games being released this year on the PS3 or 360 that are NOT ready to be ported to the Wii U (the reason they're launching earlier)

B) Given the amount of money you have spent on your chosen console over the years that is not the Wii with Next Gen looming in the distance to grantee to blow the Wii U out the water you might WAIT until the Next PS3 or XBOX to be released to decide if the Wii U is worth the purchase which will impact the sales for the Wii U on the Core gamer market two years prior

C) The online community component is no way NEAR the quality of Xbox live OR PSN (it's not even core gamer oriented and restricts them when communicating) and given how many people have friends who are in clans for online gaming in FPSs that wont make the move to the Wii U then finding the Wii U game lobby scarce cause the majority of Wii U gamers are playing the Next Super Smash Brothers Brawl and will never buy a 3rd party game

D) The economical condition around the world is not good enough to prompt anyone to (gamer or otherwise) beyond a few prevailed to just buy whatever new gadget that gets released and people are less likely to spend on more than two gaming systems and WILL hesitate (and scrutinize) on buying something that might flop. The Wii U lack the excitement the original Wii had when announced and will not meet no-ware near the original Wii investor expectations

And using the argument of "the Wii sold the most units" doesn't matter if more than half the user-base isn't BUYING games resulting in a loss for more than a year now and the PS2 even now STILL makes money around the world regardless that no more games are being released for it so why isn't the Wii not following the trend?

Hardcore gamers (there I said it) are grumpy picky bunch and are always expecting more and up to the challenge to praise you for surpassing our expectations or bash your weak efforts at impressing us, just smiling in our directing and saying "hey, guys you'll have oh so much MORE fun if you buy our Wii U" isn't gonna cut it Nintendo, you (not the 3rd party developers) have to actually make a EFFORT to show that your serious to appeal to us cause if the 3rd party support suddenly drop whats next?

Flizzick

Jun 29, 2011
AzrealMaximillion said:
wolfniggr said:
To DVS BSTrD

Put me in for 10 internet dollars that it's before the weekend

Black-Toof

Jan 8, 2011
I only read the Title.

"Analyst Predicts Wii Outselling Wii U"
Wii is already outselling the Wii U - Clever Analyst, here's a peanut!

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
FantomOmega said:
...snip...
A) Core gamers are looking forward to OTHER games being released this year on the PS3 or 360 that are NOT ready to be ported to the Wii U (the reason they're launching earlier)
um its not that these games haven't been ported yet, or will not be ready at the same time it's that the release date of the system has not been announced, and if these developers have been told they are being ordered to not divulge it, so yes some of the games will be released on the other system first, but they will probably be 3rd party launch titles for the Wii-U instead of limp-along-ware for the other systems.
FantomOmega said:
B) Given the amount of money you have spent on your chosen console over the years that is not the Wii with Next Gen looming in the distance to grantee to blow the Wii U out the water you might WAIT until the Next PS3 or XBOX to be released to decide if the Wii U is worth the purchase which will impact the sales for the Wii U on the Core gamer market two years prior
this is more speculation then any kind of a point in fact Microsoft more, or less admitted that it doesn't want to commit to a hardware spec, and so they are making it customizable (so that you can spend 3 times as much money on the system over its life just to get what you should have out of the box, and they have to do less work in R&D for the system), and that's also why systems are generally released during Holiday Season when people are expected/expecting to spend more money then they would normally.
FantomOmega said:
C) The online community component is no way NEAR the quality of Xbox live OR PSN (it's not even core gamer oriented and restricts them when communicating) and given how many people have friends who are in clans for online gaming in FPSs that wont make the move to the Wii U then finding the Wii U game lobby scarce cause the majority of Wii U gamers are playing the Next Super Smash Brothers Brawl and will never buy a 3rd party game
this is half speculation, and the other half is just funny. the funny part is the presumption that everything will be restricted/monitored if they are going to have real time online play they will need to allow for real time voice communication (though I would appreciate some kind of oversight on voice chat in game so we don't get Xbox live conversations on Nintendo). the speculation part is the part about quality if they take over the same games as what is offered on the Wii, and then add more then they actually have the same number of games (good, and bad) as the other services.
FantomOmega said:
D) The economical condition around the world is not good enough to prompt anyone to (gamer or otherwise) beyond a few prevailed to just buy whatever new gadget that gets released and people are less likely to spend on more than two gaming systems and WILL hesitate (and scrutinize) on buying something that might flop. The Wii U lack the excitement the original Wii had when announced and will not meet no-ware near the original Wii investor expectations
um first your assuming on a price that has not been announced that will probably be far less then any of the competitors, and second people are more likely to buy something that is new, and looks cool then you might think though if the price point is $300 or less then they will get sales because its still less expensive then the competitors.
FantomOmega said:
And using the argument of "the Wii sold the most units" doesn't matter if more than half the user-base isn't BUYING games resulting in a loss for more than a year now and the PS2 even now STILL makes money around the world regardless that no more games are being released for it so why isn't the Wii not following the trend?
the whole "Nintendo reported a loss, Nintendo reported a loss" is really ignorant. Microsoft is a computer software company that happens to sell a console, and games (Windows anyone), and Sony is an Entertainment hardware manufacturer (TVs, stereos, etc...) that just happens to sell a console, and games. while Nintendo is a game company, and that's it. also if they have been in a major R&D, production, and soon to be marketing phase then their outflow can very well exceed revenue. that's business. So when Microsoft was loosing money on selling the first XBox they never reported a loss because they never disclosed the full break down, and when Sony released the Vita they still had the TV, and stereo sales to pad the numbers the same way Microsoft used Windows to pad theirs.
FantomOmega said:
Hardcore gamers (there I said it) are grumpy picky bunch and are always expecting more and up to the challenge to praise you for surpassing our expectations or bash your weak efforts at impressing us, just smiling in our directing and saying "hey, guys you'll have oh so much MORE fun if you buy our Wii U" isn't gonna cut it Nintendo, you (not the 3rd party developers) have to actually make a EFFORT to show that your serious to appeal to us cause if the 3rd party support suddenly drop whats next?
this is probably the only part that makes sense, and is not any kind of conjecture, but it is still speculation.