Analyst Puts Affordable Price on Project Natal

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
14,489
0
0
Analyst Puts Affordable Price on Project Natal



Adding Natal's revolutionary form of control to your Xbox 360 might not be that expensive at all.

Videogame industry analyst Michael Pachter has predicted that Microsoft's future release-date price for Project Natal will be a very affordable $50. He made the prediction while speaking on GameTrailers' latest episode of Pach-Attack, a series where he answers questions about the industry. This price would contrast with Nintendo's rumored view [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97858-Nintendo-Turned-Down-Project-Natal] that something like Natal couldn't be distributed at a cost-effective rate.

After answering the question of what 2010's best-selling game will likely be, and not surprisingly naming Halo: Reach, Pachter covered his justification for Natal's presumably low price point. Even though he admits that "nobody knows" what Microsoft is going to do, and despite the high prices of Xbox 360 peripherals like the network adapter and hard drive, Natal will probably be sold at, or even below, cost.

Rumors put Natal's cost anywhere from two cents to ten-billion dollars, though Pachter finds it "hard to envision" a $150 price point for Natal because essentially it's just software and a three lens camera, despite all of the cool stuff it can do. "My guess is it's about $50 in cost," he says, and went on to say he'd be "very surprised if it's more than $79."

He further justifies his prediction by saying: "Microsoft is not trying to make money on the device, they're trying to get everybody to have the device so that they can sell us other things and to eventually sell a lot more Xbox 360s." The business model he names for Natal is just like that typically used for videogame hardware, where a loss is often taken to get it out there to make money off of software sales instead. Based on how evil Microsoft is (that is a joke), I was expecting Natal to cost around $100 just because Microsoft probably knows that everybody will buy it based on hype alone. If it really ends up at $50, that would be much more agreeable to my wallet.

Source: GameTrailers [http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-103-pach-attack/62129]

Permalink
 

The DSM

New member
Apr 18, 2009
2,066
0
0
Not bad, im still waiting for a firm price to be announced.

Its an improvement on the £120 Ive heard floating around the internet.
 

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
2,514
0
0
Whatever it is, it's too much. Though that isn't a bad price at all, still wouldn't want to blow my money on a motion sensor for gimmick games.
 

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
2,574
0
0
I think he's definitely not off-base in his assumption. I concur with his final assessment, although a final price will definitely come later.
 

Doctor What

New member
Jul 29, 2008
621
0
0
Well, if it really is going to just be $50, then it's worth checking it out. I'm not that excited about it, but it could be interesting.
 

MurderousToaster

New member
Aug 9, 2008
3,028
0
0
Ah well, if it's that cheap, I'll have to make sure to buy one. I'm not all that interested in motion control, however, and since my Xbox runs off a 12-inch monitor on my desk, Natal may be a bit hard to use. But if it's cheaper than your average game, then sure, I'll buy it.
 

happysock

New member
Jul 26, 2009
2,565
0
0
For $50 I'd get one, I don't see why they don't bundle it with some mini games like wii play and the wiimote and do it for game price.
 

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
456
0
0
I was gonna pick it up regardless, but a lower price is always a good thing. No doubt they're gonna sell bundles with 360s including the Natal, or games with it.
 

Kenjitsuka

New member
Sep 10, 2009
2,288
0
0
" The business model he names for Natal is just like that typically used for videogame hardware, where a loss is often taken to get it out there to make money off of software sales instead."

Indeed. No console ever made money itself off the bat, and why do this differently with Natal?
It's in MS own best interest to make sure everyone gets it.
And I'm not gonna pay a ton for it, for one...
 

ProfessorLayton

Brotha That Will Smotha Yo Motha
Nov 6, 2008
7,420
0
0
Not bad, but not good. The majority of people are not going to buy it and it will be another failed experiment with a gimmicky tool. Of course, I could be wrong and it might just take the gaming world by storm, but I'm just sticking with negativity here and I'm not going to buy it. I just don't see this going anywhere.
 

breadlord

New member
Apr 21, 2009
326
0
0
But remember, this is not Microsoft's word on it, so expect it to go up.

For me, I predicted it to be $70. $50 to software and $20 for the webcam.
 

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
1,989
0
0
Does it have achievements implemented? If so, I'll buy two.

At $50 I might be convinced to pick it up, but only if it bundles with some nice little minigames and I receive a high salary for once.
Not too keen on the thing yet, I'll admit, though an affordable price helps.
 

Stormz

New member
Jul 4, 2009
1,344
0
0
Still don't think I'm sold. I just don't like motion control and I refuse to buy any game that requires it.
 

Nerf Ninja

New member
Dec 20, 2008
728
0
0
It doesn't matter how much it will cost, if you are even slightly against motion control coming to the Xbox you shouldn't buy one. Just because it's cheap doesn't make it an agreeable price. You buy one you're allowing them to make the kind of game that uses such an unwanted device.
 

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
1,770
0
0
*Checks currency converter*
Huh, AU$55.5. Well, accounting for the fact that it's Australia, that brings the price to about AU$90, I'd expect. Still, that's not such a bad price (relatively speaking). If they make a game for the Natal that actually looks worthwhile getting, I might even consider getting it. Better yet, I'll just import it. It'd have to look pretty damn awesome though...
 

Gladion

New member
Jan 19, 2009
1,418
0
0
Nerf Ninja said:
It doesn't matter how much it will cost, if you are even slightly against motion control coming to the Xbox you shouldn't buy one. Just because it's cheap doesn't make it an agreeable price. You buy one you're allowing them to make the kind of game that uses such an unwanted device.
Which part of your post explains to me why you are forced to buy motion-sensor controlled games if Natal is successful?
 

Nerf Ninja

New member
Dec 20, 2008
728
0
0
Gladion said:
Nerf Ninja said:
It doesn't matter how much it will cost, if you are even slightly against motion control coming to the Xbox you shouldn't buy one. Just because it's cheap doesn't make it an agreeable price. You buy one you're allowing them to make the kind of game that uses such an unwanted device.
Which part of your post explains to me why you are forced to buy motion-sensor controlled games if Natal is successful?
Who said anything about being forced to buy one? I said if you buy one you're allowing them to make the kind of games that use the natal. Actually, why would you buy one and then not buy the games for it?

My point was that if you disagree with it don't support it just because it's cheap.
 

CD-R

New member
Mar 1, 2009
1,276
0
0
I thought it was going to cost at least 200. I actually am interested in this whole Natal nonsense and it would be nice if it cost less than a rockband set.
 

fletch_talon

New member
Nov 6, 2008
1,372
0
0
Nerf Ninja said:
Gladion said:
Nerf Ninja said:
It doesn't matter how much it will cost, if you are even slightly against motion control coming to the Xbox you shouldn't buy one. Just because it's cheap doesn't make it an agreeable price. You buy one you're allowing them to make the kind of game that uses such an unwanted device.
Which part of your post explains to me why you are forced to buy motion-sensor controlled games if Natal is successful?
Who said anything about being forced to buy one? I said if you buy one you're allowing them to make the kind of games that use the natal. Actually, why would you buy one and then not buy the games for it?

My point was that if you disagree with it don't support it just because it's cheap.
Because as we all know, you can totally have an accurate and unbiased opinion of something without even trying it.
Not to mention if you don't like it then it shouldn't exist, regardless of what other people think.
 

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
1,790
0
0
Ghonzor said:
Yay?
I honestly will never touch the thing
Did you buy Rock Band or Guitar Hero?

If you said yes and you own a 360, you'll probably buy the Natal.

On Topic: Seeing as the regular controller costs US$50, making Natal around the same price is a good bet. The highest piece of hardware for the 360 right now is the WiFi Antenna and that is a solid $100 despite the compaints it gets.
 

Gladion

New member
Jan 19, 2009
1,418
0
0
Nerf Ninja said:
Gladion said:
Nerf Ninja said:
It doesn't matter how much it will cost, if you are even slightly against motion control coming to the Xbox you shouldn't buy one. Just because it's cheap doesn't make it an agreeable price. You buy one you're allowing them to make the kind of game that uses such an unwanted device.
Which part of your post explains to me why you are forced to buy motion-sensor controlled games if Natal is successful?
Who said anything about being forced to buy one? I said if you buy one you're allowing them to make the kind of games that use the natal. Actually, why would you buy one and then not buy the games for it?

My point was that if you disagree with it don't support it just because it's cheap.
My bad, excuse me. I completely misunderstood you. :S Sorr-ey
 

Nerf Ninja

New member
Dec 20, 2008
728
0
0
fletch_talon said:
Nerf Ninja said:
Gladion said:
Nerf Ninja said:
It doesn't matter how much it will cost, if you are even slightly against motion control coming to the Xbox you shouldn't buy one. Just because it's cheap doesn't make it an agreeable price. You buy one you're allowing them to make the kind of game that uses such an unwanted device.
Which part of your post explains to me why you are forced to buy motion-sensor controlled games if Natal is successful?
Who said anything about being forced to buy one? I said if you buy one you're allowing them to make the kind of games that use the natal. Actually, why would you buy one and then not buy the games for it?

My point was that if you disagree with it don't support it just because it's cheap.
Because as we all know, you can totally have an accurate and unbiased opinion of something without even trying it.
Not to mention if you don't like it then it shouldn't exist, regardless of what other people think.
Did you read my post or just react to it?

Did I say it shouldn't exist?

Did I say I'll never try it?

What I said was if you don't support it, don't buy it. Is that really that hard to understand that I've had to post the same thing three times now? Price shouldn't have a bearing on something people disagree with.

E.g.
"I hate the Natal and all it stands for! What? it's only $50? cool I might get one!"

You can't stand on one issue and allow yourself to be swayed simply because it's got a nice price tag attached to it.
 

fletch_talon

New member
Nov 6, 2008
1,372
0
0
Nerf Ninja said:
fletch_talon said:
Nerf Ninja said:
Gladion said:
Nerf Ninja said:
It doesn't matter how much it will cost, if you are even slightly against motion control coming to the Xbox you shouldn't buy one. Just because it's cheap doesn't make it an agreeable price. You buy one you're allowing them to make the kind of game that uses such an unwanted device.
Which part of your post explains to me why you are forced to buy motion-sensor controlled games if Natal is successful?
Who said anything about being forced to buy one? I said if you buy one you're allowing them to make the kind of games that use the natal. Actually, why would you buy one and then not buy the games for it?

My point was that if you disagree with it don't support it just because it's cheap.
Because as we all know, you can totally have an accurate and unbiased opinion of something without even trying it.
Not to mention if you don't like it then it shouldn't exist, regardless of what other people think.
Did you read my post or just react to it?

Did I say it shouldn't exist?

Did I say I'll never try it?

What I said was if you don't support it, don't buy it. Is that really that hard to understand that I've had to post the same thing three times now? Price shouldn't have a bearing on something people disagree with.

E.g.
"I hate the Natal and all it stands for! What? it's only $50? cool I might get one!"

You can't stand on one issue and allow yourself to be swayed simply because it's got a nice price tag attached to it.
For starters, to say you hate Natal and all it stands for is ignorant, unless you've managed to get some kind of in depth look at it, perhaps even try it. You have no idea whether it would be worthwhile or not, you're just taking the all too common stance that its different and therefore its crap. Or perhaps you're comparing it to Wii controls and the Eyetoy, which is equally ignorant considering all signs point to it being considerably different.

Also, what is the point exactly of telling people who have already decided to hate it (like yourself) to not buy it. While we're at it, why don't we tell the pope not to have sex with a man? If someone is considering buying it due to the price, then it just means they're more open minded than you, and believe that for the price quoted, its worth actually trying Natal before making any judgements.

Your last comment is very true. Price should not change your beliefs about something, but beliefs should not be based on assumptions and bias. The way I see it, you're as bad, if not worse than the people you're complaining about.
 

Nerf Ninja

New member
Dec 20, 2008
728
0
0
fletch_talon said:
Nerf Ninja said:
fletch_talon said:
Nerf Ninja said:
Gladion said:
Nerf Ninja said:
It doesn't matter how much it will cost, if you are even slightly against motion control coming to the Xbox you shouldn't buy one. Just because it's cheap doesn't make it an agreeable price. You buy one you're allowing them to make the kind of game that uses such an unwanted device.
Which part of your post explains to me why you are forced to buy motion-sensor controlled games if Natal is successful?
Who said anything about being forced to buy one? I said if you buy one you're allowing them to make the kind of games that use the natal. Actually, why would you buy one and then not buy the games for it?

My point was that if you disagree with it don't support it just because it's cheap.
Because as we all know, you can totally have an accurate and unbiased opinion of something without even trying it.
Not to mention if you don't like it then it shouldn't exist, regardless of what other people think.
Did you read my post or just react to it?

Did I say it shouldn't exist?

Did I say I'll never try it?

What I said was if you don't support it, don't buy it. Is that really that hard to understand that I've had to post the same thing three times now? Price shouldn't have a bearing on something people disagree with.

E.g.
"I hate the Natal and all it stands for! What? it's only $50? cool I might get one!"

You can't stand on one issue and allow yourself to be swayed simply because it's got a nice price tag attached to it.
For starters, to say you hate Natal and all it stands for is ignorant, unless you've managed to get some kind of in depth look at it, perhaps even try it. You have no idea whether it would be worthwhile or not, you're just taking the all too common stance that its different and therefore its crap. Or perhaps you're comparing it to Wii controls and the Eyetoy, which is equally ignorant considering all signs point to it being considerably different.

Also, what is the point exactly of telling people who have already decided to hate it (like yourself) to not buy it. While we're at it, why don't we tell the pope not to have sex with a man? If someone is considering buying it due to the price, then it just means they're more open minded than you, and believe that for the price quoted, its worth actually trying Natal before making any judgements.

Your last comment is very true. Price should not change your beliefs about something, but beliefs should not be based on assumptions and bias. The way I see it, you're as bad, if not worse than the people you're complaining about.
Please actually read my post.

Oh and E.g. means for example.

I didn't say I hate the natal and all it stands for I used that as admittedly oversimplified example, plus if you had read the entire "quote" you'd notice it had a u-turn in the middle where because it is cheap the speaker has decided that although they have decided to not support it they'll buy it anyway because it is cheap which is the same as supporting it.

I don't really care one way or the other about the natal I don't know enough to make a decision about whether or not I will buy one, I probably won't because I don't care for that kind of thing but it might indeed be the best thing since sliced porn.

All I said was (For the fourth time) If you don't support it don't buy it.

It seems to me (As in this is my opinion only) that you have become sick of people bashing the natal without having any actual knowledge of the product and as such you saw my post as another attack on it and decided to rather than actually pay attention to what I wrote, attack back.
 

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
14,489
0
0
Nerf Ninja said:
All I said was (For the fourth time) If you don't support it don't buy it.
Captain Obvious wins the Obvious award. In similar news, if you don't like swimming, don't go to the pool on cheap swim day.

Seriously, I think the problem you're having is that people were assuming you had some sort of actual point to make, and weren't just typing to see your words on the screen.
 

fletch_talon

New member
Nov 6, 2008
1,372
0
0
Nerf Ninja said:
Yes clearly I misunderstood your statement saying that it was an "unwanted device".

On the one hand, if you were aiming your post at people who already believe the device to be worthless, then your post is redundant because they've already made up their mind.
If you were aiming it at those who have decided that at the estimated price Natal may be worth buying, then your post comes across as some kind of propaganda recruiting people to the anti-Natal movement. This impression is enforced when you claim that they are "allowing them to make the kind of game that uses such an unwanted device."

In other words:
If you don't want to buy it don't buy it.
or
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

I realise you may not have intended to come across this way, but you have. Just to clear things up, the only people that will change their mind due to the price, are those who weren't so closed minded to it in the first place. Besides which, price is a factor in regards to the things you purchase. A game may well be released which you have no interest in, but if it drops to a price at which you're willing to give it a chance, then why not?
 

StriderShinryu

New member
Dec 8, 2009
3,700
0
0
Ghonzor said:
Yay?
I honestly will never touch the thing
Of course you won't, that's the entire point of Natal! *cymbal crash*

I really don't know if I'll be getting it yet. I'm not a fan of motion control for the vast majority of games, but it does work well with a handful of them.. thing is, the ones it works best for aren't games I'm really into playing on a regular basis.

As to the price, however, that is definitely lower than I expected. They do need to keep it low because peripherals already have such a hard time catching on and a $50 price point (or maybe $80 with a game included?) is just the type of price they need.
 

AceDiamond

New member
Jul 7, 2008
2,293
0
0
I'd kind of believe this if it was something other than speculation. I mean I know it's an analyst's job to make these kinds of predictions as accurately as possible but Pachter has a bit of a spotty record

Plus it just sounds too good to be true.
 

Brotherofwill

New member
Jan 25, 2009
2,546
0
0
I'm really wondering if MS will redesign or rebrand their console along with this because if they truly want to delve into a new market then a hardcore console + motion toy peripheral isn't going to cut it.

To get the attention of non-video game consumers they'll need to make the console be approachable, toy-ish looking, give it a more catchy name and then have commercials with celebrities in it. If they just release the peripheral and say: "hey this is totally good for everyone!" noone is going to flock over. They'll need to make this as easy to understand as possible, consumers aren't exactly the smartest animals (and you bet a lot of people will be pissed once they find out that the camera doesn't come with the console, or that they got the wrong package etc etc). Either they'll make less than average numbers or go all out and rebrand (which will be funny just for some of the reactions of 'hardcore' Xbox gamers).

Anyway 50 $ seems too good to be true, but I guess it's possible. It's not like Pachter will admit defeat once it drops at 100$, he'll most likely just cover it up by making more wild claims (like Wii HD, as if that's ever going to happen). I'll check Natal out once it hits, there has to be something behind the hype I suppose. I certainly won't buy it but it's good to stay informed.
 

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
14,489
0
0
$50 sounds fair. $79 is a stretch, and probably prices it out of my range. $100+ is absolutely not happening for me.
 

MortalForNow

New member
Jan 10, 2010
258
0
0
Good for those excited about Natal, meh for me.

To me, this seems like just an overhyped gimmick that is being invested in too much to be considered worthwhile. Maybe if there's some cool hook with the thing that will draw me in, I can see the price tag being reasonable. Until then, I know that I'll most likely pass.
 

duchaked

New member
Dec 25, 2008
4,121
0
0
Doctor What said:
Well, if it really is going to just be $50, then it's worth checking it out. I'm not that excited about it, but it could be interesting.
I totally am on the same plane with you on this one (seems like I'm not the only one)
not a whole lot of interest here, but at a low price like that it might be something worth checking out
maybe the rest of the family would be interested...but only if it has good games as well (otherwise I could just buy a Wii)
 

PiggyGamer

New member
Jul 22, 2009
75
0
0
No, cuz $50 would make sense.
His argument sounds reasonable, but reasonable Microsoft is not.

It's "hard to envision" a $100+ price point for a 120gb HDD, because it is essentially a relatively small hard disk and it does nothing else to justify the cost, despite all of the cool stuff it can hold.

"Microsoft is not trying to make money on the device, they're trying to get everybody to have the device so that they can sell us other things and to eventually sell a lot more Xbox 360s."

That is definitely not true of the 360's HDDs. What makes Natal different?
It'll probably be a good deal in bundles, but as a stand-alone unit, I'm going to guess it'll be at least $70.
 

SantoUno

New member
Aug 13, 2009
2,516
0
0
If it costs close to the price of a regular game then I don't see any reason not to try it out.

Assuming it will have good uses though.

Seriously no shitty minigames that rip off Wii Play and the like, I want to see real creative innovative uses for the damn thing.
 

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
5,630
0
0
That cheap, huh?


Even so, how its going to be integrated will be the more intresting question for me.
 

Frybird

New member
Jan 7, 2008
1,464
0
0
$50 would fit with previous rumors.

For that Price i'd pick it up just for the Hope of a Game that uses Head Tracking
 

mikecoulter

New member
Dec 27, 2008
3,358
0
0
I honestly will never purchase this. I really like controllers, so they can make it as cheap as they want.
 

Xodion

New member
Apr 8, 2008
73
0
0
The Gentleman said:
Ghonzor said:
Yay?
I honestly will never touch the thing
Did you buy Rock Band or Guitar Hero?

If you said yes and you own a 360, you'll probably buy the Natal.
Where's the logic behind this? I own a 360 and I have Rock Band, because it's fun.

Until they release some games that look good and use Natal, I won't be buying it.
 

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
1,790
0
0
Xodion said:
The Gentleman said:
Ghonzor said:
Yay?
I honestly will never touch the thing
Did you buy Rock Band or Guitar Hero?

If you said yes and you own a 360, you'll probably buy the Natal.
Where's the logic behind this? I own a 360 and I have Rock Band, because it's fun.

Until they release some games that look good and use Natal, I won't be buying it.
The average cost of a Rock Band 2/Guitar Hero 4 set (game+guitar+drum kit) is $120-$140 depending on where you're buying it.

Natal is $50, which give you the ability to play several other games in a way similar to having the guitar controler allows you to play several other games. Give it some time to put out a real line-up (i.e. more than Fable 3), and it will probably look more and more acceptible as a purchace.
 

wolf_isthebest

the Insane
Mar 4, 2009
87
0
0
"Microsoft probably knows that everybody will buy it based on hype alone" If this is true then Microsoft is daydreaming. Nobody will buy this if it will cost more then a game no matter in how many episodes of Smallville they feature it in.... The general opinion on Project Natal at the moment is "meh". If they'll sell Natal for 100$+ it will probably sell worst then PSPgo. Remember PSPgo ? When it came out everybody went and bought PSP3000. If this comes out at 100$+ price everybody will go and buy a Wii for 200$.
 

Xodion

New member
Apr 8, 2008
73
0
0
The Gentleman said:
Xodion said:
The Gentleman said:
Ghonzor said:
Yay?
I honestly will never touch the thing
Did you buy Rock Band or Guitar Hero?

If you said yes and you own a 360, you'll probably buy the Natal.
Where's the logic behind this? I own a 360 and I have Rock Band, because it's fun.

Until they release some games that look good and use Natal, I won't be buying it.
The average cost of a Rock Band 2/Guitar Hero 4 set (game+guitar+drum kit) is $120-$140 depending on where you're buying it.

Natal is $50, which give you the ability to play several other games in a way similar to having the guitar controler allows you to play several other games. Give it some time to put out a real line-up (i.e. more than Fable 3), and it will probably look more and more acceptible as a purchace.
True, it will be a worthwhile purchase when MS get a range of good games that use it, but I think this applies to everyone, regardless of whether they bought Rock Band / Guitar Hero or not.
I guess it will boil down to what kind of games try to make use of it, and how well they do so. I for one would love to see the new AI put to good use, many games could be improved with better NPC AI - if something like Assassin's Creed III did this, that would probably make it worth £30 alone (although knowing UK prices, $50 will probably mean £50).
 

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
1,790
0
0
Xodion said:
The Gentleman said:
Xodion said:
The Gentleman said:
Ghonzor said:
Yay?
I honestly will never touch the thing
Did you buy Rock Band or Guitar Hero?

If you said yes and you own a 360, you'll probably buy the Natal.
Where's the logic behind this? I own a 360 and I have Rock Band, because it's fun.

Until they release some games that look good and use Natal, I won't be buying it.
The average cost of a Rock Band 2/Guitar Hero 4 set (game+guitar+drum kit) is $120-$140 depending on where you're buying it.

Natal is $50, which give you the ability to play several other games in a way similar to having the guitar controler allows you to play several other games. Give it some time to put out a real line-up (i.e. more than Fable 3), and it will probably look more and more acceptible as a purchace.
True, it will be a worthwhile purchase when MS get a range of good games that use it, but I think this applies to everyone, regardless of whether they bought Rock Band / Guitar Hero or not.
I guess it will boil down to what kind of games try to make use of it, and how well they do so. I for one would love to see the new AI put to good use, many games could be improved with better NPC AI - if something like Assassin's Creed III did this, that would probably make it worth £30 alone (although knowing UK prices, $50 will probably mean £50).
The RB/GH paripherials stand as the bellweather for para-console hardware, so much so that Activision made the incredibly poor decision to move DJ Hero forward even as the economy tanked and it became clear that no one was going to shell out the US$120 for it (and the reviews were actually quite positive as well). Odds are that MS is learning from the DJ Hero flop, using the data from its sales, marketing techniques, and criticisms to craft a better strategy for Natal. The low expected price is likely formuated from the need to push a large number of units in a short enuogh period of time to justify software which utilizes with hardware.

As for the price descrepency, I'm terribly sorry about the cost of games in England and Europe. 50 pounds is quite a jump from US$50 (don't have a pound sign on my keyboard and am too lazy to pop out word just for the symbol).
 

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
14,489
0
0
It its more then 5$ im not even touching it, and thats if I cant find a good sandwich to buy for my 5$. I have already decided im not getting Fable 3 because of the Natel (to put this in perspective, i got an xbox360 for fable 2) so for me, 50$ is a friggen ridicules high price.
 

molesgallus

New member
Sep 24, 2008
306
0
0
'For $50 I'd get one, I don't see why they don't bundle it with some mini games like wii play and the wiimote and do it for game price.'

For many reasons. At least one reason might be that the Wii isn't compatible with Natal.

(Sorry, I'll stop being a dick when you learn to write in grammatically correct English.)
 

molesgallus

New member
Sep 24, 2008
306
0
0
The Gentleman said:
Xodion said:
The Gentleman said:
Xodion said:
The Gentleman said:
Ghonzor said:
Yay?
I honestly will never touch the thing
Did you buy Rock Band or Guitar Hero?

If you said yes and you own a 360, you'll probably buy the Natal.
Where's the logic behind this? I own a 360 and I have Rock Band, because it's fun.

Until they release some games that look good and use Natal, I won't be buying it.
The average cost of a Rock Band 2/Guitar Hero 4 set (game+guitar+drum kit) is $120-$140 depending on where you're buying it.

Natal is $50, which give you the ability to play several other games in a way similar to having the guitar controler allows you to play several other games. Give it some time to put out a real line-up (i.e. more than Fable 3), and it will probably look more and more acceptible as a purchace.
True, it will be a worthwhile purchase when MS get a range of good games that use it, but I think this applies to everyone, regardless of whether they bought Rock Band / Guitar Hero or not.
I guess it will boil down to what kind of games try to make use of it, and how well they do so. I for one would love to see the new AI put to good use, many games could be improved with better NPC AI - if something like Assassin's Creed III did this, that would probably make it worth £30 alone (although knowing UK prices, $50 will probably mean £50).
The RB/GH paripherials stand as the bellweather for para-console hardware, so much so that Activision made the incredibly poor decision to move DJ Hero forward even as the economy tanked and it became clear that no one was going to shell out the US$120 for it (and the reviews were actually quite positive as well). Odds are that MS is learning from the DJ Hero flop, using the data from its sales, marketing techniques, and criticisms to craft a better strategy for Natal. The low expected price is likely formuated from the need to push a large number of units in a short enuogh period of time to justify software which utilizes with hardware.

As for the price descrepency, I'm terribly sorry about the cost of games in England and Europe. 50 pounds is quite a jump from US$50 (don't have a pound sign on my keyboard and am too lazy to pop out word just for the symbol).

I think the real reason that Dj Hero flopped, is that people who enjoy the sort of music incorporated in the game, don't tend to be gamers. And the few that enjoy that music, and play games, don't have much to spend ion games. Also, Guitar Hero always had the 'party appeal', Dj Hero doesn't have that.
 

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
1,790
0
0
molesgallus said:
The Gentleman said:
Xodion said:
The Gentleman said:
Xodion said:
The Gentleman said:
Ghonzor said:
Yay?
I honestly will never touch the thing
Did you buy Rock Band or Guitar Hero?

If you said yes and you own a 360, you'll probably buy the Natal.
Where's the logic behind this? I own a 360 and I have Rock Band, because it's fun.

Until they release some games that look good and use Natal, I won't be buying it.
The average cost of a Rock Band 2/Guitar Hero 4 set (game+guitar+drum kit) is $120-$140 depending on where you're buying it.

Natal is $50, which give you the ability to play several other games in a way similar to having the guitar controler allows you to play several other games. Give it some time to put out a real line-up (i.e. more than Fable 3), and it will probably look more and more acceptible as a purchace.
True, it will be a worthwhile purchase when MS get a range of good games that use it, but I think this applies to everyone, regardless of whether they bought Rock Band / Guitar Hero or not.
I guess it will boil down to what kind of games try to make use of it, and how well they do so. I for one would love to see the new AI put to good use, many games could be improved with better NPC AI - if something like Assassin's Creed III did this, that would probably make it worth £30 alone (although knowing UK prices, $50 will probably mean £50).
The RB/GH paripherials stand as the bellweather for para-console hardware, so much so that Activision made the incredibly poor decision to move DJ Hero forward even as the economy tanked and it became clear that no one was going to shell out the US$120 for it (and the reviews were actually quite positive as well). Odds are that MS is learning from the DJ Hero flop, using the data from its sales, marketing techniques, and criticisms to craft a better strategy for Natal. The low expected price is likely formuated from the need to push a large number of units in a short enuogh period of time to justify software which utilizes with hardware.

As for the price descrepency, I'm terribly sorry about the cost of games in England and Europe. 50 pounds is quite a jump from US$50 (don't have a pound sign on my keyboard and am too lazy to pop out word just for the symbol).

I think the real reason that Dj Hero flopped, is that people who enjoy the sort of music incorporated in the game, don't tend to be gamers. And the few that enjoy that music, and play games, don't have much to spend ion games. Also, Guitar Hero always had the 'party appeal', Dj Hero doesn't have that.
Two things:

1) Thread necromancy is bad.

2) The issue of the taste of music of the targeted audience for DJ Hero is debatable, as there is no clear co-relation between music preferences and gaming demographics. By some accounts, DJ Hero has the very kind of music that a significant portion of the core gaming demographic likes. By others, it lacked the necessary appeal to create substantial sucess. In other words, the music being to blame is less plausible than this price-economy line of reasoning. This is not to say that the music selection had nothing to do with the failure of the game, but rather that the primary reason for the failure was poor timing, not the music itself.